1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

New to AquaScaping

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Anupu, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Anupu

Anupu New Member

Hey guys and gals, I just recently found out about this style of tank planting (not sure if that's what it is). After seeing this magnificent tank on the website here I ended up loving it.

It really inspired me to try this out.. But I am a noobie D:! I do have knowledge on keeping fish tanks with fish. I am currently maintaining a 20g fish tank all my fish are healthy, I haven't really gotten into planting on fish tanks either.

The reason I'm posting this thread is mainly because of what happened a while back when I first started fish keeping. I had made one of those common mistakes of just getting a fish tank adding water and fish and feeding them without knowing there is more to it than just that. I don't want to make a mistake with this either.

I have been searching on the forums to see if there is a beginners guide on starting all this or what you must know before even starting something like this but with no luck I haven't found anything o.o . I'm not sure if I looked hard enough (if there is one I'd love it if you could post the link).

My questions are: Would me jumping into this be a bad idea, keeping in mind I have no experience in keeping planted tanks. If not, what would be the next step? I have a 50g tank to my disposal. How should I start all this?

I'm sure there is more to it than just putting soil, rocks, and plants and filling it up with water. As I said before I am a noobie :[. I would love your guys help on this. I'm open to any advice and suggestions.

Thanks for your time,
    - Anupu

Sponsored link:

2. Stickling100

Stickling100 Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi Anupu!

I'm new on here also.
    My information supply -Garuf started a beginners guide but unfortunately it was benched, I have supplied the link I found earlier today below it's really informative.

Do as much research as you can before you start. Like you I have been keeping fish for a while but I had no idea what I was doing at first, I am lucky though my boyfriend has a degree in freshwater biology so he's a great source of information.

I loved having plants in the tank. The problem was after a few months I needed to replace the plants as they looked out of place because they grew "leggy" or started to die etc.... I looked at photo's of these beautiful tanks and started to do some research, I like to think I have a "good eye" so I thought "go for it" So when we bought our new big tank for the living room, I bought ADA aquasoil, I bought plants, planting tools, wood, rocks made my scape and though ok " lets see what happens"
    The problem was I was running a high tech tank "high light" without Co2 or fertilization.

I'm learning as I go along and I am SO happy with the tank, I have bought two new nano tanks so really I am totally hooked!!!

I find some of the things I read about the hobby difficult to undserstand so don't be affraid to ask questions!

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/wanted-input-from-the-forum-on-beginners-articles.6340/

3. Anupu

Anupu New Member

Hey Stickling :]

Thanks for the all the motivation, I really am looking forward to starting this but I do want to learn a lot before I start actually doing it. Thanks for the link I'm going to get to reading into it right now :).

If I do have any questions I will make sure I ask ask and ask :) . I would love to make as little mistakes as I can, but I know that there will be some bumps in the road.

Thanks for the help. I'll make sure to keep in touch :]

- Anupu

4. Stickling100

Hey there!

I haven't really had any disasters as such since setting up my scape just more maintenance (ie removing algae) because I didn't really know what I was doing.

Hopefully there will be a beginners section very soon but in the interim, I will try to help you from my experience as much as I can, I am still just a beginner myself so I need some of the questions answering myself!

You have a 50g tank i'd love to know the dimentions? or a photo would be brilliant! You need to decide your budget & how much time do you want to spend on it. I currently spend at least half of a weekend day and an odd hour or two here and there in the week. which is a lot! it's my hobby so for me it's time well spent, I love it.

I'm assuming by this point you've read the link? The main point you need to take before starting is High-tech vs Low-tech. This is one thing that confussed me at first, I had no idea what this was! If you have read the article and like me you need it spelling out i'll be happy to do so.

I knew I wanted to try and re-create what I had seen from photo's and from there create my own design. What do you want?

I'm in the uk you?

Sam

5. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

ahh..another one bitten by the bug!! :D welcome to ASW! there will be questions..everybody has no ones an' exception to that.I too had em'..:) As Sam rightfully said, your first bit of research lies in your budget, second your type..choose that an' we in the forum would gladly help as much possible to choose from plants to scape..so chill on that..:) this is a global platform so do showcase your work, everyone learn somethin' new everyday..me too till date..so share what you want/concerns, experts an' a intermediate level person like me would love to help out..:)

6. Anupu

Anupu New Member

Hey Stickling100,

Sorry I haven't gotten around to replying, I had to put all of this on hold because I'm in the process of moving and I had school starting and all. I didn't really think it would of been a great time to start all this on top of all that. It's coming down to the small final days of being finally moving to my new home and I have everything at a much milder level now.

I had read the article you had sent me and yes, I did get a bit confused. :p I also did some on and off reading on all this too and I'm much less lost than before.

As for hi-tech and low-tech I did get a bit lost on there, I did some research on it and I'm assuming it is all the lighting filters etc? Or just lighting. I read somewhere that for lighting you need around 2-3 watts per gallon. Also what type of lighting I was leaning over more to fluorescent bulbs. Also that it should not be over 9800k but over 6500k.

Also, I do have a 50G tank but I had read it could be a bit time consuming and I don't mind it that much but it being a 50G tank I decided on just using my 20G tank that I have right now. Since it is my first time and all I don't want to start out so big.

As for my budget I can spare around a good 200-250 dollars on the tank.

I have been drawing small little doodles on paper while on some free time trying to get a nice design on what I wanted my fish tank to look like. I have somewhat of an idea of what plants I want on it but I don't really know their names nor if they can co-exist in the tank.

The problems I'm mainly facing right now aside from the hi-tech vs low-tech would be the substrate and the additives. I'm not really sure what I should use to make sure the plants grow "big and strong" :]. I've been watching video of people setting up tank and most of them add additives to their tank before putting on the soil etc. Along with that I also wanted to know what would be better for the CO2 in the tank. If a simple DIY would be good or if I should use Seachem Flourish Excel.

I'm in Usa, I guess you could probably tell from my measurements in gallons xD.

- Anupu

7. Stickling100

Hi Anupu

Nice to here from you again!

Garuf has re-written the start of his article, focus on understanding what high-tech means I found the analogy quite useful.

My problem understanding what high-tech meant was because of the terminology I assumed this just meant "more equipment" which it does in a way it simply it means if you add more light, you will need to add more Co2 and nutrients.
    Anyway I would reccomend you read the section "What’s the difference between Hi-tech and low tech?"

Your Co2 question will depend on weather you decide to go High-tech. I used DYI while I was saving for pressurised system I managed to get the complete system for abour £100 then it's just refills on top of that.

This is a good website for learning the plant names- http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/plant-list-a-z.aspx

As for Lighting I'm defo no help! I have only every used fluorescent tubes this is simply because all the tanks I've had have had a light unit requiring tubes. There a lot of nicer stuff on the market! Ask some guys on here in the equipment section.

Enjoy the research!! ;)

8. Anupu

Anupu New Member

Hey Stickling100!,

I'm trying to suck up as much information as I can from here to make sure I get it right the first time. I just recently wondered into a thread of someone setting up a new tank and I read that he was only putting up light on for a couple hours a day and gradually adding more light to the tank. He was also using a liquid fertilizer, is it because he was using that or because it was a newly planted tank?

Also, after I have all my tank set up with the plants, would it be safe to say that I could put fish in right away or should I let the plants mature a little?

I made a thread of substrate and I'd love it if you could swing by and enlighten me with knowledge :D!
    http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/substrate-and-additives-help.7248/

- Anupu

9. Stickling100

Well your going about it the right way learn and understand as much as you can. I still have loads to learn!
    I would imagine it had more to do with him trying to avoid an algae bloom but I'm a noobie myself, I'm not sure what light period is reccomended for a newly planted tank. Many plants need to have their roots cut so they can be easily planted into the substrate, I would imagine it takes a little time for the plants to start growing again therefore there's nothing to compete with the algae. I could be leading us both down the garden path though-hopefully somebody can confirm???

I'm assuming you would be using a mature filter?
    It depends on what fish and plants you have, for instance you wouldn't want to plant a carpeting plant and then put in pepper catfish, because they would dig up the plants before they've had time to anchor themselves. You would also need to consider what you stirred up in the substrate when planting, best to give it a little time before you add any fish I would say.

I only have experience of using ADA Aquasoil, I didn't add any additives from what I've read they are a load of rubbish. Somebody on here will be able to elaborate I'm sure.

10. Anupu

Anupu New Member

So for your substrate you only added ADA Aquasoil? Nothing else? I want to plant a Hemianthus Carpet, do you know if I'd need to have anything special on the substrate in order for it to grow healthy?

11. Stickling100

I have a carpet of Eleocharis parvula

12. Stickling100

Sorry sent that by accident!!
    I only have ADA Aqua-soil nothing else. It's all new to me so you need to seek advise from the people who know what their talking about on here.

The only down side I've found to it, is that my catfish root round and kick up loads of it from the surface, makes the water very cloudy at feeding time. I'm hoping when the carpets better filled out it won't be so bad.

13. Anupu

Anupu New Member

No worrys, I was wondering what size tank you have? What's your lighting/filtration if it's not a problem?

I've been searching the web for some ADA Aqua new amazonian soil but it's always out of stock :[. I have a 24(l)x12(w)x16(h) inch tank 20G, do you think one 9-liter bag will be enough?

14. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Hello, sorry I'd missed this thread, have you posted one similar?
    Really, you need to lay out to us what you have and what your goals are. At the end of the day it's pointless splashing out on expensive substrates if you're cutting corners on more vital aspects such as flow and co2. How much light do you have? Does your filter turnover the tank volume 10x or more in an hour? Have you invested in pressurised co2?

Knowing that I used about 1 and half nearly 2 bags on a scape in on a 60x30 footprint tank I would think you'd need two to be really effective in scaping. If the budget is very tight red line akadama is very very cheap and just as good as ADA and Soil master select is extremely well respected in the US but I have no experience with it as a product though I do know it has a higher CEC than aquasoil!

15. Anupu

Anupu New Member

Hey Garuf,

You're right I haven't been telling anyone my goals which does really decide on what I should get for my tank. So far I've only been rounding up information, I really like to get things into perspective before I can actually decide on what I want and from I've rounded up I've finally decided.(somewhat :])

I've decided to start on a 20g tank that I've had in my home, I really just want to grow a Hemianthus Callitrichoides carpet. I have this really nice rock I found that is around half the length of my tank and around 3/5th the height of my tank and it gives it around 2in of space around it from the glass. Plus it has a hole going through it so the fish can swim around. I want to place that on the right side of my tank and place some Ranunculus Papulentus around the rock. This is just for now until I can see what I like and see how I can incorporate into my tank. I was also wondering if there are any plants or maybe moss I could grow on the rock.

I've been reading a lot from all the threads here and I was wondering if just 1 t5 bulb would be enough for my tank or if not I would have to buy a whole new lighting unit. I have a canopy that came with the 20g tank and I was thinking I could just hook up the bulb on to there, the canopy can support the light bulb. If not I was leaning towards this http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/Aquarium_Lighting_18_T5_Nova_18_inch_T5_s/336.htm . I have been looking around for CO2 systems and I think I might have a regulator somewhere in my storage and all I'd need to buy would be an adapter and a CO2 tank from a paintball store near my house and then just purchase a diffuser. Which I found in Aquateks website.

You got me on the filter, I do have a filter that I thought I could get away with it, but now that you point out 10x I might have to purchase one. The filter I was planning on using does 125gph.

As for the substrate, I had saw a couple videos on people setting up all these tank and a lot of them kept repeating 'the substrate is one of the most important parts' and they would add minerals and all this fancy glitter on there. I thought I'd need it since I'm planning on growing a carpet. I'm guessing that's not the case, in which case I decided to just go with ADA aqua soil but I might look into that red line akadama to see if any of my lfs have any. If not I might see what they do have and post a thread to see if anyone has had any experience with it.

Thanks for your time, I hope I'm not to much of a bother xD.

- Anupu

16. Anupu

Anupu New Member

Any input :)? I'd love to get some.

- Anupu

17. Asthaparhim

Asthaparhim Aspiring Aquascaper

Maybe this thread will also be interesting for you,
    I am also pretty new to aquascaping and had alot of questions about the equipment, soil, plants etc.
    Wanted to start a 60liter tank first with a carpet (iwagumi) but I chose for a smaller tank: 25liter.
    The first 2 pages are about the 60 liter tank, the other 3 pages about the 25liter tank.
    Based on my own experience I would advice you to take your time to find the right equipment and don't haste too much by buying it, do some research first.
    Good luck! :)

18. Anupu

Anupu New Member

Hey!

Thanks for the reply I went over your thread and I did get some information out of it.

I was wondering if you could help me out with the lighting. Do you think that link I posted for that lighting unit would be good enough?

My biggest concern would be the filtration. I was td 10x would be ideal but the filter I have right now is 5x. Is that to little? If so do you think you could recommend one?

- Anupu

19. Asthaparhim

Asthaparhim Aspiring Aquascaper

No problem.
    I'm not an expert but I think 2x18 watt is not enough for a 20gallon tank (75liter) to grow a nice carpet of HC.
    Me was told that I would need a minimum of 10x turnover otherwise algea easily can take over the tank because of a lack of flow.
    I haven't got any experience with external filters yet but if you follow the 10x turnover rule you'll need atleast a turnover of 750 l/h, more is even better.
    And I assume you don't want to spent alot on a filter so I would think about an eheim 2217 (1000 l/h = turnover 13.3x)
    I am using an eheim 2213 (440 l/h) on my 25 liter tank, thats a turnover of 17,6x.
    First I tought it would be far too much, but Garuf convinced me to go for an eheim 2213 instead of an eheim 2211, because
    lily pipes, inline diffuser, taps and an external heater will also reduce the flow.

20. Anupu

Anupu New Member

Hey Asthaparahim,

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it, I was looking into filters and I happen to run into this. http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-06079-QuietFlow-Filter-400-GPH/dp/B004GX47TW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t I have my fish tank in my room and I really liked how it's a QuietFlow. I was wondering if this could be a compromise from the filter you had recommended and it's a lot cheaper and does much more turnover. Would love it if you could give me some input on it.

As for the lighting would you have anything to recommend also xD I found this http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/24in...inearstript5aquariumlightingfixture2bulb.aspx

I haven't really bought anything I only have the tank, I want to get everything in order before I go on buying everything :].

- Anupu