1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

New thread on my fluval chi low tech

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by jasonperry, Jul 14, 2015.

1. jasonperry

jasonperry Aspiring Aquascaper

20150701_174146.jpg 20150701_175727.jpg 20150701_175705-1.jpg 20150701_175712-1.jpg 20150711_163927-1.jpg Hey guys had post a new journal as I think the forum was down and since then some how my thread has vanished cannot finde it anymore.

Any way tank is a week old and really pleased on how its starting to look iv added some xmas moss as wasn't happy on the messy java moss.
    Since this last photo iv placed the cryps around the back abit more and opened all the foreground for my moss carpet. :) more pics will be added once I get some live stock.

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Jason

It looks like you are no the only one it has happened to.

Its looking great as the tank ages and a little natural algae on the rocks it should look even better.

Keith:):)

jasonperry likes this.
  3. jasonperry

who knows the forum must not like me ha ha :D
    and thanks Keith yeah definitely be nice to get a lil age look to them rocks and be nice once I get some growth on the moss ,im pleased I changed to xmas moss has a lot neater anatomy. :)

keithgh likes this.
  4. keithgh

Jason

Its a lot easier to make adjustments now in the early stages rather than later when the Aquascape is fully developed.

jasonperry likes this.
  5. jasonperry

Yeah thats for sure im finished with her now just on the waiting game now iv decided im not going for a betta as wouldnt be fair in such a small tank so will be just shrimp and ottos and snails in this one :)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  6. jasonperry

(Asassin snails)*

7. keithgh

Jason

All sounds good to me.

8. jasonperry

Hey guys Adding live stock next week going for some cherry shrimp to kick it off and will be ordering my ferts :) im getting new growth all around the back in the crypt bed new leaves shooting all around xmas moss is spreading out so all looking up ^ will post some pics within the next coupel of weeks :)

9. keithgh

Jason

Add your stock slowly, and low feeding until your filter is ready to take the extra waste.

Being a small tank I would be doing 3 x 30% water changes a week the plants and stock will certainly benefit from the extra care.

Yes 30% once a week will work but nothing like three water changes a week.

jasonperry likes this.
  10. jasonperry

Thanks for ur advice Keith dont take this wrongly but I know all that as basics in fish and aquarium care. :)
    but thank you I don wanna sound like a know all that dosent take advice on board ha ha iv made the mistakes in the past 17 in total years in aquarium keeping and very much learnt by them ha ha;)

And yeah il be on them wc regulary untill the filter has built up il be adding around 6 or maby less shrimp :) 30% wc x3 a week seems alot but makes much sense since the tank is only small.

(Last week I poped in some filter media from a friends already astabilished filter to help seed.)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    keithgh likes this.
  11. jasonperry

Ps tank looks grate today the brown algea is starting to get less and the moss is looking lush ;) im pleased im taking my time the results are positive atm and keeping it simple is making it more relaxing.:)
    Not having to trim plants every 3:4 days is grate, when I was growing hc in my iwagumi high tech I spent more time trimming and keeping shapes I kinda got sick of it in the end.
    So going into the slow lane and creating a simple scape has made it more some how fun like starting again :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    keithgh and lucasgg like this.
  12. keithgh

Jason

All OK not a problem.

I recently pulled my last tank down (for health reasons) and I think I have made every mistake and more after 50 years with Aquariums.

I am concentrating on Terrascaping now its like starting all over again on a very fast learning curve.

jasonperry likes this.
  13. jasonperry

Keith
    Sorry to hear that much respect to you that dedication 50years ;).

And yeah I like the terrariums was going to do one myself but who knows maby in time if done correctly they can be amazing my brother inlaw has set couple up since his lowtech planted I helped him with.

Are you keeping reps?
    Or just fish in the pool areas under water falls?
    Or is urs a dry one with foggers and sprayers?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    keithgh likes this.
  14. jasonperry

20150718_181651-1.jpg 20150718_181743.jpg wc day.. just a quick update on to give an idea what i ment by moving the crypts back will put some more up in the next coupel of weeks as you can see brown algea is slowly going away and xmas moss is starting to creep . :)

keithgh likes this.
  15. jasonperry

In the search for some anubias nanna mini.

I was thinking on placing it coming from the larger anubias towards the front, coming from the center of the 2rocks I thought some how it will alow a good plant flow from the larger anubias? Or just leave be and allow the moss to take over the whole of the foreground Any opinions guys?

16. keithgh

Jason

My three Terrascapes are for plants only, a few garden slugs found that out once I saw them.

I hand mist all tanks every thing is very low tech.

I was thinking of the forth tank having Shrimps with plants above and below the water line BUT that meant water changes, plant and shrimp foods etc.

The Forth tank is still possible I have to think of something different again.

Your planting as the A nana petite is extremely small and a slow grower I would stay with the moss.

For a bit of colour a few easy to look after Male Endlers might be worth considering.

jasonperry likes this.
  17. jasonperry

Yeah I agree and yeah I think I might leave things be now let everything grow out.

And ah cool Keith and fair enough nice and easy going.
    Go for it! do it in a nano tank like somthing on the lines of 2 ft for a half and half then there will be less water to change :) and will look super cool especially if the tank is rimless ;) or a 60ltr cube aqua one has a new range ;) be cool with water falls. Also exo terra do a wide range of sizes they will be grate as a paludarium, there is some really good ones in my lfs. ;)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    keithgh likes this.
  18. jasonperry

for you Keith ;)

keithgh, lucasgg and greenfinger 2 like this.
  19. keithgh

Jason.

That is what I would love to do but every thing is saying NONO.

Looking after plants is far easier and less expensive.

jasonperry likes this.
  20. jasonperry

20150721_145906.jpg my dosing scedual all written iv decided im going with what I know on ferts the ei salts as its alot cheaper, and easyer to adjust when needed. Note il be batching up in 500ml bottles :)
    The tank is a 19ltr size,
    15ltr scaped with plants.
    As for the magnesium il only be adding half the amount so (x6 tsp) as I have quite hard tap water in my area.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015