1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

New Tank Suggestions

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Chesh, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Chesh

Chesh New Member

Need some advice from the experts [​IMG]

OK so we just recently acquired a 46 gallon bowfront aquarium that has only been cycling for a few days...so while it is going through its month-long ordeal I am doing my research and trying to decide what fish to add and am interested in hearing what others recommend. From our ten gallon tank we will transfer: one clown loach, 3 glow light tetra's, 3 black neon tetra's, and 3 molly's. These are a sure thing for the new tank (all of these fish we have had for a couple months except the molly's which we just got last night). In addition we are considering the following: 3 otto cat's (dwarf otocinclus), 2 blue dwarf gourami's, 6 cherry barb's, and 1 striped raphael catfish.

So far what I have read is that for the most part these all seem to be peaceful community fish and in their adult size will be fine for the maximum occupancy range requirements for the 46 gallon tank. I have two concerns but if there are more that I should be having, please chime in [​IMG] One concern is that the molly's water hardness need of 10-25 (huge range not sure if that is correct) will not mix well with the remainder of the tankmates, and my second concern is about the raphael cat. The striped cat is the coolest catfish I have ever seen and I really want to add him to the tank even though he will be reclusive most of the time...I have read that we have to be careful about smaller fish (such as with the cherry barb and the tetra's) but I was thinking that since he stays at the bottom most the time and the others are mid to top dwellers maybe they would be safe. If kept well fed do you all think he would be happy enough to not try to eat the others?

It might be good to note that we have plenty of live plants, rocks built up in one corner that provide cave-like hiding areas as well as a real wood structure in another area of the tank. Another thing to note is that we will continue to use our currently established ten gallon set up for our guppies and will only be transferring the fish I listed above, so we can really take the filter from it to use on the larger aquarium as someone already suggested to me. In our 46 gallon we have approx 40 gallons of r/o water with 5 gallons of the water from our established tanks.... we have also added aquarium salt, Nutrafin Cycle biological aquarium supplement as well as some flake food for nitrogen :p

Thanks for any input you all may have [​IMG]
    NAMASTE

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

For your fish, I don't think you "need" the RO. That being said, you may consider mixing 50% RO 50% tap water at water changes. saves on RO and adds some calcium and magnesium which is missing from your RO water.

The aquarium salt is not necessary and I have read can be mildly helpful when ulcers or other skin issues occur.

I would say if it will fit in the cat's mouth he will eat it and once he learns he can he will actively pursue them. I have a blue ram that learned it liked cherry shrimp. She would peck and pick at cherry shrimp, so i removed my fire reds to another tank. The other rams did not do this because they never learned "cherry shrimp taste good".

I would contest that 46 gallons is enough space for an adult clown loach which can reach 12" or more. otherwise your fish selection seems fine to me.

3. Chesh

Chesh New Member

Thanks for the advice ShadowMac, it is much appreciated :)