1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

New setup for 55 gal.

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by David B. Diehl, Mar 8, 2017.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

David

I have only ever fed in the morning I always use an extremely small spoon to make sure I gave the same amount every time.

That tank looks very milky not crystal clear like it should be why??? The answer "Could be here" over feeding, not enough water changes (percentage and often), filtration is it sufficient, regularly cleaned (using tank water). Over stocking please run this program and post all the results. If those fish are breeding it will be massively over stocked very soon
    http://www.aqadvisor.com/

What I know is Stability is an excellent and highly recommended by many aquarium owners, it can be used double strength if necessary sudden spikes etc. Do you "need" it? It's your tank all I can do is recommend it.

I also have very bad water I will only drink boiled water plus I only give our cats boiled water. If you are thinking it could be your piping test the water at the closest point to the house (first outlet) then at the outlet where you collect your water.

A simple answer why have you not been using it?

What species of Shrimp and what is the pH now

As I said previously it could be a combination of several concerns not just one.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. David B. Diehl

David B. Diehl Aspiring Aquascaper

Tank has algae on the front, water is clear looking from the end. Cleaning filter every week, replacing floss and cleaning foam, back flushing Bio- Media. Collecting any shrimp, assassin snails or babys that got sucked down. In the process of moving fish to other tanks, had to get rid of ich first.
    Used stability in the past, that is the only thing I changed, Might be the reason.
    Haven't been using RO water for plants, most are hard water plants. Was told soft water would kill them, or not make them grow right.
    Shrimp are cherry and amano
    Ran test on water Nitrate-160, Nitrite-0, Total hardness GH-300,Chlorine-0,Alkalinity KH-80, Ph-8.4.
    Tank temp-75
    Had a question on lighting in another forum.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  3. keithgh

David

When you are replacing the floss and cleaning foam you could be creating a mini cycle every time you do that. A very good reason to do a double dose of Stability, to correct the mini cycle very quickly.

Recommended to be below "10" WHY are you "160" too much waste, over feeding, insufficient filtration and cleaning method, over stocked etc.
    My guess the answer is here its a very good possibility its a combination of several things.
    Have you done that http://www.aqadvisor.com/ yet?

4. David B. Diehl

Going to try several methods to fix it. Does anubias and java fern really need hard water?
    Possible fixes-Switch to RO water or a mix of the two.
    Add cabomba inside tank and Pothos to sump filter.
    Would adding granular ferts to substrate help plant growth?
    Moving some fish to other two tanks, Already moved angle fish.
    Have cut down feeding and tank temp to lower metabolism of fish.
    Wanting to add pet moss to filter to increase carbon as in substrate video this site.
    Took a week but shrimp are coming out, probably because I moved angle fish.
    Miss anything?

5. keithgh

David
    My Anubia grew like a weed and I had a naturally soft water. To the best of my knowledge they are a very adaptable plant.

I only ever used Seachem Liquid Ferts and Seachem Fert Tabs around the rooted plants. There is a Granular fert especially made for outdoor ponds.

Very good.

Adding Peat moss could work to lower the pH and the Hardness

[​IMG]
    Pathos is not an Aquarium plant?

What are you doing about the filter as this appears to be one of the causes of your concern? Can you post a photo of the filter with thee name and model number.

Have you run that program yet?

6. David B. Diehl

Just putting the roots of the Pothos in water, most video's I've seen it lowers to between 20-40 ppm. Even lowered it as to kill off her algae IMG_20170108_043254717[101].jpg
    Filter is one I made from a 10 gal tank. First chamber is empty as overflow for second with sponge and floss filtration. Third is now all Bio-Media. Forth is pump and where I'll put peat moss. This is for 75 gal tank
    The 55 gal is Cobalt for 55 gal tank, 230gph?
    So you suggest going with the peat moss first and then the RO system if needed?
    Since filtration was not listed in program I could not use it. Have no idea on number of fish without taking them out to count. Range in size from 1/4" to 2 1/2 for swordtails plus 3, 2' kolie loaches. Can only catch them when they get caught in sump overflow chamber.

7. keithgh

[​IMG]
    Count your fish from a photo the best is as you are feeding them
    Calculate with a similar HOB filter as I think you are over stocked.
    [​IMG]
    Can you name what is in each section as its not the clearest of photos.
    Where were you thinking of putting the Peat plus how are you going to keep it in the section?

8. David B. Diehl

1 and 2 are all one with Bio-Media. 3 is foam filtration block. 4 is floss filtration media. 5 is the pump and where the peat moss will go using the bags from the filter carbon that is used up.6 is the overflow and connected at the top to 3 and 4. Originally that is where I wanted to put the intake pipe but the overflow box said different. That is where all the little critters collect if they get caught in the overflow box. Took the foam pre-filter off as not to kill them.

9. David B. Diehl

Ran the table 95 fish counting the shrimp as fish, 153%. That was an over estimate on fish. Couldn't hob filter. Plan on moving fish this weekend.
    Water changes are about what I'm doing now. Have 3-30 tubs of water from tap, will replace RO filters when they arrive.
    Plus it suggested to get 2 more cory catfish and 3 more kuhli worm loaches.
    Again, sorry for taking over his post. Didn't mean to.

10. keithgh

David

You will have to get that well below that figure and keep it there remembering those fish will be breeding fast.

I would not get any more fish until its greatly reduced and every is running with out any concerns.

Now feeding reduce it again by 50% and never feed on the water change day. I would do 2 x 50% water changes a week.

How are you measuring the amount of food, I used an extremely small spoon a mustard/sampling spoon even smaller than these.
    [​IMG]

11. David B. Diehl

Having trouble locating stainless steel wire, most stores don't carry it anymore. Is galvanized steel safe?

12. keithgh

David is there any reason you cannot use the safe plastic ties?
    If you must have SS look at Google

13. David B. Diehl

Need to hold 3-4 small branches in place together at angles. Zip ties don't get as tight as wire twisted. Any idea on rating of the filter for charting?

14. keithgh

David are you referring LPH?

If you can connect the outlet to a large container that you can mark.
    Take the water out for 1 minute then measure it multiply by 60 that will give you a very close answer.

It would not surprise me you are also under filtration.

That's easy fixed get a higher rating canister filter and run it will the old filter for several weeks to get a good bacteria in the new filter.

If that has to be done don't forget to double dose the tank with Stability at every water change while you are running the two filters.

15. keithgh

David

Looks like you might have to buy a few Mts the SS online.

16. David B. Diehl

Saw there is a test kit from Seachem for Copper. Going to test to see if even needed.

17. keithgh

David
    If you do decide to do the test post the results please.

18. David B. Diehl

Did the copper test the 75 gal 0.0 mg, the 55 gal 0.0mg, the water fresh from the tap 0.5mg of copper. Did letting the water sit a couple days remove the copper from the tap water? Even ran the test twice with the known control sample.

19. keithgh

David

Info
    https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/wells/disease/copper.html

How can I find out whether there is copper in my drinking water?
    If you suspect a problem and your drinking water comes from a private well, you may contact your state certification officer for a list of laboratories in your area that will perform tests on drinking water for a fee.

How do I remove copper from my drinking water?

Heating or boiling your water will not remove copper. Because some of the water evaporates during the boiling process, the copper concentrations can actually increase slightly as the water is boiled. Additionally, chlorine (bleach) disinfection will not remove copper.

If the copper in your drinking water is not from the groundwater but from your plumbing, flushing the water system before using the water for drinking or cooking is a practical option. Any time a faucet has not been used for several hours (approximately 6 or more), you can flush the system by running the water for at least 15 seconds first thing in the morning before drinking or using it. Flush each faucet individually before using the water for drinking or cooking. Water flushed from the tap can be used for watering plants, washing dishes or clothing, or cleaning. Avoid cooking with or drinking water from hot water taps, because hot water dissolves copper more readily than cold water does.

You may also wish to consider water treatment methods such as reverse osmosis, ultra-filtration, distillation, or ion exchange. Typically these methods are used to treat water at only one faucet. Contact your local health department for recommended procedures. If you want to know more about these and other treatment options, please contact NSF International, an organization that focuses on public health and safety through standards development, product certification, education, and risk management. Remember to have your well water tested regularly, at least once a year, to make sure the problem is controlled.

20. David B. Diehl

So basically if there is no copper showing up in the tank water the copper wire is not a threat to the shrimp or fish. The 75 gal. has been set up the longest and shows no trace.