1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

New setup for 55 gal.

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by David B. Diehl, Mar 8, 2017.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

David

I have seen a Video where the owner actually skin dives in the pond.

http://www.seachem.com/flourish-excel.php There is spot here where you can ask that question directly to Seachem.

I don't think I have ever seen that question before on any Forum. That is only a part question it should be how often the quantity also using the correctly prepared water. I would guess a 40-50% every second day which I had to do many years ago.

I have fished for Trout in a river and every night around sunset the water from a dam not that far upstream would be released the water would come done at a great force and raise the river level by close to 1ft The water was a lot colder and yet this particular area was considered the best fishing spot in the area.

Keith:cat::cat:

David B. Diehl likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. David B. Diehl

David B. Diehl Aspiring Aquascaper

Just for the heck of it I tested the tap water and it was 20 for Nitrate. Started dosing with Flurish once a week. Water in 75 gal tank had high Nitrate levels and turned acidic. Trying to figure out the cause.

3. keithgh

David are you Cycling that tank?

I would contact your water supplier and ask about that level.

4. sushant

sushant Aspiring Aquascaper

What are those cylinder for?co2???

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk

5. David B. Diehl

Added some fish and shrimp and wanted to check levels. The 55 gal tank is at same levels and acidic.
    Water supplier here would rather get fined than pay for treating water. Also has high levels for female hormones.

6. keithgh

David

If your water is that bad you will either have to buy water or find some method of reducing the Acidity in your water supply.

I would ask your LFS as they should be using the same water supply. There are commercial products available but the cost is not cheap at all.

Also remember you are using the same water for drinking and cooking.

7. keithgh

sushant

If you look carefully at this photo [​IMG]

At RH side of the pond close to the reflection of the trees you can see what looks like water movement it could be Co2 a pond that size must have a massive water movement if not it would become very stagnant water.

8. David B. Diehl

Water isn't acidic it's alkaline it just has nitrate already in it to start with. I'm assuming that a rise in nitrates will make water acidic. Haven't drank this city's water in almost 40 years, only Pepsi.

9. keithgh

10. David B. Diehl

New setup for old 20gal long, a little sparse but back will grow in. It is planted in Amazon sword. No fish yet. IMG_20170322_133913[233].jpg

11. keithgh

David

Those white rocks what are they? At the moment they are taking up a lot of plant growing space.

What are the measurements for the 20g long? The reason for asking the measurements is that the A Sword can be a very vigorous and tall plant.

12. David B. Diehl

Currently have 2 full sized plants in the corners. Leaves do reach top of water line. Rocks are actually green, no one is sure what type. Came from creek rip-rap, only ones that would split. Some of the pieces would cut. Didn't use them, made sure no sharp edges on them. Tank is 29"x12"x12", was looking for a 40 gal breeder but none in stock here. Probably the cheapest A-Swords I've found had shoots with plants spaced out along it. Planted them at back only about 2" tall, also put aqua soil power under gravel in back. Everything I used I already had on hand. Have now gotten rid of about 2 gal. of Christmas Moss in trade at LFS.
    Getting different advise on Nitrate problem, after 2 water changes still high. Have never had any ammonia show up on any water test. Was told to increase light, or add Co2. Will high Nitrate cause water to turn Acidic? Mine does. Any suggestions?

13. keithgh

David

Amazon Sword
    Minimum Tank Size: 20 Gallons
    Care Level: Easy
    Water Conditions: 6.5-75 and Soft to Moderately Hard
    Temperature: 22–27 °C (72–82 °F)
    Maximum Size: 24 inches (60 cm)

I will go off in a totally different direction take those white rocks out and do several 50% water changes and see what happens. Are those grey rocks from the same area? I would even take them out as well.

Could it be a filtration concern.

I would be far more concerned about what is causing the concern rather than using ????? to fix another problem.

If the water supply does not have the concern it must be created in your tank/filtration, its just a matter of finding it.

David B. Diehl likes this.
  14. David B. Diehl

The Nitrate problem is in all 4 tanks, 75, 55, 20, and even a 10 gal. and all it has in it is bare plants no gravel. Water from source has 20ppm of Nitrate already in it.
    Checked rocks there all the same rock by the way, Checked water after boiling using RO water and everything was low, no Nitrate or Nitrite and water remained soft. The ones in the back are actually silicone to the glass so they don't fall over.
    Have been dosing bi-weekly with Microbe Lift, says it's a complete ecosystem in a bottle. Recommended by LFS, they also do commercial tank maintenance and set-up.
    They said my tank is processing the Nitrite faster than the plants can absorb it. Was even thinking on getting some cabomba as it is fast growing.
    Can actually see when filter needs changing and then change all. Filter pump on 75 gal does 317 gph in water flow, 55 gal is a Cobalt for a 55 gal tank both have no carbon with extra Bio-mass and fine filter medium floss.
    Would switch to RO water but most of the plants demand hard water, like Anubias, Java fern and Busefalandria.
    Nitrate levels now are at 40-60ppm. Will do another water change in 2 days. It's possible the age of the pipes in the apartment complex are just too old and have mineral build up in them. I do know the water heater is new as I put it in this year.

15. keithgh

What causes high nitrate levels in a fish tank?
    Ammonia is the most significant dissolved waste in an aquarium. It is produced by fish wastes, rotting leftover food, and decomposing plant matter. The bacteria in your biofilter convert ammonia first into nitrite and then into nitrate. While ammonia andnitrite are highly toxic to fish, nitrate is much less so.

Could this be a clue when you "change all" you are actually creating a mini Cycle every time.

I am not a Bio Chemist and that is what you need on the spot to find and fix your problems.

Do you use a quality Bio starter eg Seachem or Sera both excellent products not the LFS "Its as good as"?

16. David B. Diehl

Used about 1/4 of the gravel and all the existing water and same filter media as there is no fish in the 20 gal. tank. The 75 gal and 55 gal. also has high Nitrate, water changes on all three cut it in half.
    Not sure what Bio- starter I used but it was Tropica brand, white bottle.

17. keithgh

David
    What are the common denominators in all the tanks?
    I think is becoming a slowly delete every possible cause or completely strip every tank down including all filters the other choice find an expert who is prepared to come and look at your tanks.

18. David B. Diehl

Food, Floruish Excell, Microbe-Lift eco-system and water source.

19. keithgh

David

Food OK Species of fish plus how many in each tank? What are you using, exact quantities and how often?

Flourish Excel Are you using exactly as recommended?

Microbe-Lift eco-system "Helps to eliminate ammonia and nitrate"
    "Helps" looks like it does not.

Water Source, Water supplier here would rather get fined than pay for treating water. Also has high levels for female hormones.

After breaking it down in no particular order looks like there is a possibility you could have several concerns and this combined is one big problem.

20. David B. Diehl

Food- tetra min for colors it's what I've always used. Twice a day about quarter size in the morning, half that in evening. Pictures might give idea on fish size and quantity fish 1.jpg fish 2.jpg Also 20 cherry shrimp and 20 amano shrimp, MTS, Ramshorn, assassin, nitral and spike snails. My dad used small granular, but they don't make it anymore.
    Flourish- less than recommended about once a week
    Microbe- was what I was referred to. What does Seachem have and do I really need it?
    Water is so bad I haven't drank it for over 30+ years. Several water boils called and who knows what else.
    Have a 4 stage RO filter could use it. what would you keep, what to omit? Do need to lower Ph level for shrimp.