1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

New setup for 55 gal.

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by David B. Diehl, Mar 8, 2017.

1. David B. Diehl

David B. Diehl Aspiring Aquascaper

Just reset the 55 gal. tank. Removed all the gravel and replaced it with 40lbs. of Eco-Complete, yes I know that you said it was inert but I had it on hand. Over that I put 3 ltrs. Tropica soil powder. Replanted with same plants that survived plus some new. Driftwood and lava rock, heavy in Christmas Moss. That stuff just grows everywhere, already have a 10 gal tank full and giving it away to Lfs along with java moss and java fern.
    Looking for information on water changes. Heard you can expect large ammonia spikes, hasn't happened yet going on 3 days. How often and how much, fish are in another tank? Will send pictures when I can.
    Also just had donated to me a very large tank, measures 36"x36"x144" made or what looks like 3/4 and 1" acrylic. Helped him find a home for a 36" alligator gar. Now in storage with my 250 gal. if I figured right it's about 900 gal.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Tank Capacity: 36x36x144
    Litres: 3058.2
    US Gal: 807.9
    UK Gal: 672.8

That is 3058.2 Kg with out the weight of the tank plus all the hardscape. Where are you going to set it up.

I hope you have enough filtration and heating for that monster.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Eco complete isnt suppose to get the ammonia spikes here unlike ADA AS, I would keep a close eye on it before adding any critters, whats Nitrate and nitrite like?

:eek: so just a small one :rolleyes:

4. David B. Diehl

Nitrates and Nitrites are both low Ammonia is still 0 but ph dropped to 6.2 with just 2 liters of Tropica soil powder. Hopefully it will go back up with water changes.

5. David B. Diehl

Not sure what I will do with it, for now its in storage with the 250 gal. Not even sure if this concrete floor would support it.

6. keithgh

David

It would certainly not be suitable for the house floor. Even the concrete floor would depend on its thickness and its reinforcements.

7. David B. Diehl

Here is a picture of the new 55 gal set up so far. Will try to get a better one this weekend. IMG_20170309_190323[183].jpg

8. David B. Diehl

9. keithgh

David

After seeing the full tank and the two close up I am very confused at what you are trying to achieve.

I can understand the row of DW to represent trees and that is where it stops. If the trees were on slopes then using a few selected rocks and the plants you have it could be a very interesting Aquascape

You a layer of rocks this divides the tank into two sections and at the front and back of the rocks you have a row of plants.

10. David B. Diehl

Trying to do a shore line but needed the rock to keep the aqua soil powder from flowing all over the tank. Also trying to get more depth out of a narrow 55 gal only 18".The back is all vallisneria except for the corners and soil is about at the top edge or rock. Trying to figure out how to add a little more light for the cypress which is turning light green with brown patches. Ich is now gone, I am keeping about 100 gal of water ready for water changes now. Starting out with hot water then letting it sit till needed. If you get a chance I saw a huge tank, the largest in private hands on YouTube. It's 24'x30'x8', cost $100,000 for tank $20,000 for fish and $2000 for monthly maintenance.

11. keithgh

David

Are you referring depth as the height of the tank or the front to back which is considered the depth of field it can be very confusing. If you were told you had a great depth of field it would be as you are looking at the tank the rear of tank is fading into to distance and it looks grater than it actually is.

There are ways of building retaining walls without all those rocks in fact it can be done with out rocks at all as done in steep landscaping.

Just checking are those tank measurements in Feet? If so here is the water capacity.
    Tank Capacity:
    Litres: 135920.9
    US Gal: 35906.5
    UK Gal: 29902.3

Can you post the link to that photo please.

12. David B. Diehl

Front to back. Tried it in the 75 gal. but the snails leveled it all flat over time.

Not good at reposting links yet. Length was 12' not 24 feet, width24' not 30', height looked like 8-10', sorry for the wrong dimensions. Was listed as largest aquarium in private hands.
    It was a you-tube video by John Marcus's tank is 12' width 26' width about 10,000 gallons
    another saltwater tank by Bill Wann, 20,106 gal

13. keithgh

David

To copy a link just highlight the WWW and select ALL if you can then click copy.
    I found the links with the aid of Google

Paste it here and it should work

14. David B. Diehl

What did you think about them, what to build one?

15. keithgh

David some where on my computer I have a link of a man who built and set up a special building to hold his monster tank.
    I also have some photos of a monster pond I cannot post photos at the moment as Photobucket is down

16. keithgh

David here are the photos of the very large private pond in Brazil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. keithgh

18. keithgh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim Harrison likes this.
  19. keithgh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having problems with PhotoBucket at the moment this was the easiest way to post these older photos.

Tim Harrison likes this.
  20. David B. Diehl

Ponds are ok if you like looking from the top. Didn't look like there was any filtration.
    Have some questions about water. How often can you do water changes without stress on fish? Water is same temp as tank and does Flourish Excell raise Nitrate levels. The 55 gal tank seems to be stable so will probably add fish soon.