1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

new rocks causing alkilinity?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by PrincessPea, Jul 27, 2008.

1. PrincessPea

PrincessPea New Member

Hello excellent aquascapers, I have a question about rocks. I recently placed four large local river rocks into my tank after doing the test with vinegar to make sure they would not react swiftly to acids, and they seem to be fine- only now my pH is creeping upwards (still safe, but it has climbed from 6.8 to 7.8 pH)
    I believe from the look of them and our local geology that the rocks are most likely basalt.

Any ideas? I do like the smooth rounded contour and dark color, I can't find anything in the local shops rocks that are not striped, pink or orange, translucent, jagged/flaky, or have a cute little hole in the middle for the fish to swim through.

If anyone is from the Seattle area, that is where I am prospecting for stones. These ones came from near Stevens Pass.

Thanks!!

P.P.

2. epicfish

epicfish New Member

Sometimes vinegar isn't strong enough and you'll need to use muriatic acid. I would keep them in a bucket and test them for a while before putting them back in your tank.

3. PrincessPea

PrincessPea New Member

Hmm. I have some stop bath, that's pretty concentrated acetic acid. I will give it a try. I will also try and find a new set of rocks, as I am sure it's the rock's fault, seeing as my Aq was running consistently acid before the rocks moved in.
    For future reference, are you suggesting testing by putting them in a bucket and seeing if the Ph rises over time?

P.P.

4. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

yes it is (imo) best method ;)
    doesnt influence on your fiosh or plants - totaly harmless