1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

New Riparium Setup in 50-gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by hydrophyte, Dec 29, 2009.

1. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Moderator Staff Member

Haven't been back to this thread in a while. For a while I was just using it as that messy propagation setup, but then I got tired of that and decided to make a real display again.

Last night I figured out a general theme and got a few plants in there to illustrate. This is still only half-planted, but you can imagine the general idea--a background with the grasslike Acorus gramineus and few other plants with unusual foliage as accents.

[​IMG]

I will also add stem plants on trellis rafts all along the emersed midground. This will cover up those planters and create more visual depth.

Sponsored link:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

image doesn't work .., but this sounds promising

3. hydrophyte

The picture should work now.

It is still messy with some extra junk in the tank, but I think that I have a pretty good layout started. I would be interested to hear any opinions about it.

4. globali

globali Aspiring Aquascaper

Very interesting project.

5. hydrophyte

The underwater area still needs work, but I think that I have the emersed layout pretty well figured out. I shuffled things around a bit and added a couple of new plants. These plants are mainly full size, so I don't have to wait much for it all to grow in. The midground plants on rafts will need a few weeks to grow and cover up the foam.

[​IMG]

I have some nice plants in here. I should come back with a list of what I planted. I also need to work on the underwater area.

6. hydrophyte

This angle shot is a bit more appealing. I think that the above water area is looking pretty good.

[​IMG]

7. hydrophyte

I have some pretty nice plants going in here. I put together this numbered image to more easily point them out.

[​IMG]

1. Hygrophila sp.--I am unsure of the species for this one, but it grows really well as a ripairum plant.
    2. Acorus gramineus 'Ogon'--This grass-like (not a true grass) plant fills most of the layout background with its tidy foliage.
    3. Pilea grandifolia--This Pilea is my favorite for use in the riparium midground. It has a size and growth habit similar to aluminum plant (Pilea cardierei), but I find the monotone lime green color to be more attractive.
    4. Acrostichum danaeifolium, giant leather fern--The coarse foliage of this unusual plant makes an interesting contrast against the fine and organized Acorus leaf blades.
    5. Oplismenus hirtellus, basket grass--These stem cuttings are planted onto Nano Trellis Rafts.
    6. Syngonium wenlandii--I like this plant too very much. It is acting like a centerpiece in this layout, but its not too gawdy. I only recently added this new plant to the riparium, so I don't yet know well it will grow in a hanging planter.
    7. Gibasis geniculata, Tahitian bridal veil--I only started using this plant recently, but so far it is doing well. The little cuttings that I planted onto Nano Trellis Rafts are rooting and beginning to sprout new leaves.
    8. Acorus gramineus 'Dwarf'--A really nice mini Acorus. It is good for the end of this triangle-shaped layout because it has the same form as the larger 'Ogon'.
    9. Bacopa monnieri--This is a great carpeting riparium stem. I have this little clump of stems planted in a hanging planter, then sprawling forward to cover a Nano Trellis Raft.

8. Jurijs mit JS

Do you know if those rafts and magnetic pots are available in europe?
    I have my 200liter tank empty right now, would like to try a riparium :)

PS: how is the article doing?

9. hydrophyte

Hi Jur4ik, I am sorry I have had the article in mind, but I have been so busy. I should just try to take a day this weekend just for that.

PlantedBox.com in the UK might start offering those riparium accessories pretty soon. Here is the link to their inquiry page...

plantedbox.com Contact

Riparium Supply can also ship directly to destinations in Europe.

10. hydrophyte

The plants in here are still looking happy. Here is a new shot from the other night.

[​IMG]

And today I got a quick picture of the underwater area.

[​IMG]

11. hydrophyte

Here is another quick update. there isn't much new, but the plants have grown up some more.
    [​IMG]

12. MrCodexx

MrCodexx New Member

not to take away from the wonderful tank that you have going here but is there any possibility that you could post some pics of that lovely DIY stand of yours. Im hoping to get my own started soon and am looking at designs. Yours has caught my attention. thanks much in advance.

13. hydrophyte

Thanks so much. I will try to go find those pictures of the stand. I will just need to dig around through my blog files to locate them.

14. MrCodexx

MrCodexx New Member

great i look forward to seeing them.

15. hydrophyte

Here's a quick update for the 50-gallon setup. These plants are at their peak right now. I'd say that I selected a pretty good combination for this layout. I like the way that most of them are a similar shade of green. It worked real well to develop the background mainly with that Acorus gramineus.

[​IMG]

16. Jurijs mit JS

looking like a pond from a bird view :) wish I havenĀ“t sold my 200liter tank I was talking about above.

17. hydrophyte

Hey thanks Juri. A 200-litre is a real good shape/size for a setup like this.

Hey I started up a new Facebook page for Riparium Supply. Please stop by an write on the wall if you have a minute...

Riparium Supply | Facebook

18. Jurijs mit JS

Shame to me, I still have no Facebook account :-s
    However I'll have a look.

Have you got my pm?

19. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

you are the riparium master!

20. hydrophyte

Hey here are a few pictures of that stand. The construction is real simple. Let me know if you would like any

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]