1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

New project, paladarium help

Discussion in 'Ripariums & Paludariums' started by steved1403, Jul 6, 2014.

1. steved1403

steved1403 New Member

Hi folks, I've just picked up a 48 x 18 x 18 bare tank, I fancy doing something different and have decided on a paladarium, I've spent the last week looking around the web and researching what I can about them but I'm wanting to sump the tank with a spare 2ft tank I have. I don't really fancy drilling the tank to do this, does anyone know if it is at all possible to sump a paladarium without drilling?
    I'm thinking of a system similar to this but obviously with only a 1/3 of the water.

[​IMG]

I'm in no rush to get this completed and I'm looking forward to building it up once I've got an idea of the sump system I can start planning the next phases.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I don't think there is a way to build an overflow section in a half full tank without drilling. You can't exactly get the water to flow upwards.

I don't think you need to use a sump if you don't want to drill. A canister filter would do the job as well.

keithgh likes this.
  3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I suppose you could power the siphon with a pump instead of gravity as most overflows do, however the slightest changes in flow through the inlet or outlet could lead to problems.

Starting the siphon would be difficult because you need to pull the water up before it travels down to the sump. What you would create is essentially an open canister...leading me back to using a canister filter.

keithgh likes this.
  4. steved1403

steved1403 New Member

Thanks, think I'm going to use 2 small internal filters attached to PVC piping that will create waterfalls. Seems the easiest option and then next tank get pre-drilled :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keithgh likes this.
  5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Steved can you please fill in your location and country.

You look like you will have to wear your thinking hat for a while.

I am sure Shawn will steer you along the correct pathway.

Keith:):)