1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

New project... 4 nanos to square

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Flo, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

i agree with you. i tested every compartment with 25 kg before and without the angle i screwed under each bottom. i work allways carefully to dont drop any water on the expedit and i dont think that the moisture will harm the stand that much. i ve not noticed any wetness on the stand so long. if something happend to the stand i ll report it here. but i m in good hope that nothing will happen to it :113:

Sponsored link:

2. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

So, what do you folks think about this layout for the second tank? :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. gamma

gamma Guest

Hey Flo!

Nice, i like it. :rock:
    With a little UG and Anubias nana petite / bonsai...

Go on!

Cheers
    Eva

4. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Black & White .. and only the wood is brown!!! :rock: :plane:

(Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk)

5. biobio

biobio Aspiring Aquascaper

In 3D hardscape is OK. On photo in 2D there is a lot of branches overlapping through the deepness of tank. Shooting angle or camouflage with plants can help to avoid it but it will be better to do it by initial hardscaping. Less things to bother you later.
    Make end cuts of branches more natural (as broken, not as it looks like now - straight cut)

6. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

Thank you biobio, i not noticed that the end of the branches looks like they are cut. So you think i should arrange the branches in a way they dont overlapping each other? As you said, in 3D it looks good, but i understood what you mean.

7. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

Okay...next try. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think it s much better now, isnt it?

8. biobio

Definitely better but not satisfying - jet….:errr:;)

In this moment you are creating 3D sculpture that has to look good at 2D photo presentation.
    If you want to participate at some aquascaping contest (with this layout) you have to think in advance about final photo.

First - you have to show it to us frontally as on final photo. Photos from different angels can be very interesting but at contests front view is a must… Few cm left or right with camera and overlapping and layout appearance are changed. For nano tank more than for bigger one.

Second - try to arrange branches by thickness. Thicker down and to back, thinner up and front – this is general rule - not a must.

Third – think about reflections in tank sides. Dry scape can be very good but with water added picture will be changed. Reflections are becoming part of aquascape…

Forth – branches pointed directly to front glass (from back) are losing their curvature. At photo we can see only projection as a straight line ( I am speaking about middle one in front)

Etc, etc,….

Dry scaping gives you unlimited time to enjoy the game – so do it….
    :chestbumping:

9. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

hi flo nice project -4 nano's in row, surpassing the 3 by juri:))

btw the off center tree roots to the left coming out of the substrate
    looks bigger than the tree branches and the upward curve is too high that gave the impression
    of being not natural. just my opinion.

10. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

hey ed, thanks for your advice. i ll cut around 2-3cm of this branch anyway so that it doesn t look so flat cuted.

11. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

@biobio: do you think it would be looking better if i put the end of the middle branch (i mean the end in the midground) more to the right side and replace the small piece which is in front of the right side?
    the rule thats says big branches back, small branches front is somehow strange. if i look frontview it ll create a much more perspective if i do it the other way. small back, big front cause everywhere you look in nature in the distance things look smaller then close in front of you.

12. biobio

Move one of its ends few cm right or left and look for difference and achieved effect.

To some point you are right and that’s why I wrote: “this is general rule - not a must”.
    It depends on a hardscape type.

All those forest layouts were made by opposite size setup : thick and big driftwood and rocks in front (including planting bigger plants of same species)– smaller back. This create optical illusion in 2D and extraordinary deepness – but have in mind that all those elements of setup are separate and independent. This is optical illusion type of layout.

If you are modeling with separate branches layout where all branches are coming from one point (center of tree grow) than ticker ends have to be closer to this point (and almost always closer to ground). thinner ends are out –at periphery. In this type of layout in most cases we are putting our driftwood somewhere in the back part of tank, so periphery is in the front and left or right. In your tank gathering point of branches is right back and this is place for thicker ends.

Front or back - thick or thin end is an option, but in most cases thick up - thin down looks unnatural.

All this are just guidelines not strict deadly rules...

:yo:

13. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

thanks again m8. i ll try some changes after work. i ll not follow all this rules, but i want do my best. :)

14. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

Here we go again... ;) this is my favourite of all.
    [​IMG]

Edit: Or this one?
    [​IMG]

15. biobio

Last one looks good for me.:-B

It is good that you shorten upper left branch and changed position a little to avoid problematic reflection.

Repeating curvature in back (dashed blue line) looks very interesting.

Did you put some invisible obstacles in gravel to prevent sliding? (yellow).

Try to increase slope in front. With this optically (at 2D photo) you will double visible frontal area (red to blue area).

Keep playing….:party:

Attached Files:

16. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

i can t slope the front anymore, otherwise i can t plant there. no i put nothing to prevent sliding. will work carefully at planting and filling this tank with water, in the other tank it worked good for me.

17. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

just a quick update. i ll buy the equitment for the second nano tomorrow. same equitment as in the first tank and a small bio co2.
    the first nano is now a home for 6 crystal red shrimp. :)
    pictures will follow tomorrow.

18. gamma

gamma Guest

Uh uh Flo!

First, I wish you good luck with the shrimps.
    But my fear is, you put them in to soon.

Maybe it will work, but in the first weeks, especially using soil, you should be aware of ammonia / ammonium. You'll have to check water-parameters closely.

You will have to do lots of waterchanges to avoid this, but as that, the parameters will change often. That's not what they want, also.

And, at least, 6 are not enough, in my mind...

Altough, I'll press my thumbs for you and your inverts..

Cheers
    Eva

(die, wenn sie nicht zu blöd wäre, dir 'ne pn zu schicken und 'ne Tüte zuzuknoten, dir ein paar black bees schicken könnte...) ;-)

19. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

eva, dont worry. i know that aquasoil is full of ammonia. i do waterchanges every day. parameters are tested every second day. shrimp doing fine. one was molting today :). if they would show any toxic signs i would move them into my main tank. ;) they are some white (pearl) nurses who can keep a eye of the crystal reds ;).

btw: i wanted to write you a pm, but you have to allow to recieve pm in your options. :-B

20. gamma

gamma Guest

OT:

Sorry, Flo, but I will not allow emails.
    Pn within a forum is ok.
    So, you would have to catch me in other forae.

Eva