1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

New 60 litre aquascape.

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by JohnnyWales, Sep 11, 2012.

1. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

Hey everyone, it took me so long to complete my fluval edge, and even longer to maintain it, I aim to complete a new aquascape and transfer my livestock and burn the edge once completed :p

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347366258.585287.jpg

Right now, I'm working with,

Twisted manzanita ( as seen in the photo)
    Rena xp2 canister external filter
    Oliver knott nature soil
    4 litre DIY CO2 with ladder diffuser.

I'm buying these, as I'm tired of doing DIY lighting and having the stress of melting plants.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347366453.285619.jpg

I'm not sure how to scape this tank, as the wood is a pretty large piece and I want it to be the focus.

I thought that I could plant around the stump with stem plants and crypts, covering the wood in pieces of java moss and ferns, and having the left hand side free, with a good carpet of glossa, as HC and I do not get on.

Has anyone used these lights before?

Can i plant directly into the Oliver Knott substrate?

I'd like to have this mostly wood and plants, with minimal rocks, does anyone have any ideas?

nasgul likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347384705.411383.jpg

Hard scape 2

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Johnny

WOW and a big WOW you have pushed the J learning curve very fast well done.

I prefer the first scape with the Driftwood in the back RH corner it has character and looks like you have thought about about it now and after planting, where as the other one looks like you just dropped it into the tank and stood back and said that will do.

Keith:):)

4. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

Well that just made my day.

Its a pretty large (and beautiful) piece, which i picked up for around a tenner at a LFS.

I think i'll plant bushy around the base of the wood, heightening towards the back RH Corner.

Moss on the branches, and maybe fill the wood pot holes with a bit of substrate and plant, or attach anabia with elastic bands.

I would love a thick bright carpet, and glossa, is pretty nice. across the whole LHS, with the root braches protruding out and into the open water.

I aim to populate it nicely with plenty of tetras and rasboras, as i have the big external filter, it should keep the water crystal clear.

Do you think i should cap the substrate, or plant directly into it?

As far as levels go, slope from front to back Front LHS to Back RHS?

Rocks? Id like to keep it as natural as possible, with the wood being the focus, is there a need for rocks.

Planting commences this weekend, with only the plants left to buy, as the lighting, substrate, wood, filter, co2 and heater have all been sourced.

#excitement.

As always, all comments are welcome!

Johnny :D

5. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Plants melt because of CO2, or more precisely lack of it, it's very very rare for a tank to be below the minimum light threshold these days!

Oliver knotts substrate is essentially identical to ADA's and should be treated as such, don't cap it, just plant straight into it, it's an all in one substrate. With regards sloping, be brave and really ramp it up in the right hand corner with the wood and work from there, people are too timid when it comes to substrate and then wonder why there scape looks flat when it's grown in.

The wood looks great and the scape and what you have in mind sounds great, I'm sure will be excellent my only concern comes from the diy co2, as someone who ran a tank this size, with this much light and pressurised co2 I would say pressurised is absolutely vital to be successful, diy just isn't stable enough nor does it produce enough co2 to be even considered. I would also point you towards Andyh's new scape which is in a tank broadly similar and is using only a single 24w t5 and growing everything that most people would cry highlight only at.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/andyhs-green-beach-journal.7143/page-2

The other thing but this is very minor is that moss has a habit of swamping detail which will be a real shame on that wood so plant it thinly and keep it trimmed back for best results.

6. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

Yea, the detail will be there, don't worry, that's why I've gone open top.

As far as co2 goes, it's the cost I can't deal with. I try to source everything second hand, as I live in London central, and life is VERY expensive.

Also my concern with stacking the substrate is reducing the water volume and making it look tiny?

7. Garuf

Depends, means and goals at the end of the day. :/ £70 will get all the kit with the exception of a fire extinguisher, which is probably another £20 depending where you get it from. It'd make your life a whole lot easier, in all honesty I don't think you'd be able to succeed with DIY and a ladder diffuser, the amount of light is just way higher than the capacity you'll have with DIY.

I understand your issue and I've every sympathy for it, cash is tight for everyone everywhere in the country at the minute but it's one thing that scrimping on will only cause trouble.

8. Garuf

Stacking the substrate the idea is to make the tank look larger by a trick of perspective. If you've got a 10l bag of Oli knott then try it and see how it looks.

9. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

So 4l DIY will struggle...hmmmm welding canister?

10. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

I found a co2 canister for under 30 and a simple aquarium regulator manometer for 15, then is it just tubing and a diffuser?

None of you boys realise, I have to spoof to the gf I'm gettin things on the cheap, or she will chop me up, for spending money "on those stupid fish"

Ian likes this.
  11. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

I got a ten bag and I've plenty left.

12. Garuf

It's worth posting the regulator, there are lots that are branded up as being for planted tanks but are about as good as a chocolate fire-guard. If you can get an inline atomizer these are the best diffusers, they mist well and are extremely co2 efficient.

Fire extinguishers tend to be cheaper than welding cylinders, the disposable ones of which have a different valve type on.

13. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

So, I stacked the substrate, used every drop of it, and it raised it slightly!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347472084.465011.jpg

Not sure about the rocks, it breaks the colours.

This is the regulator I found,
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347472124.453591.jpg

I've attached more photos below.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347472147.066336.jpg

14. Garuf

Yeah that's the kind of regulator you want.

15. keithgh

Johnny

Now my Photo bucket is not working.
    I photoshoped your tank and removed those twiggy bits at the back that were pointing upwards.

I was thinking if they were removed you would have a gentle sight flow in a nice steady uninterrupted flow from the top of the DW right to the very end.

See if any one else has a similar thought.

With those rocks size and shape OK but see if you can locate some a more brownish colour to blend in with the rest of the tank.

You are certainly on a winner this time.

16. Garuf

Looking again I just noticed those forground rocks. Im all honesty they add nothing to the scape, they're too small and too "placed". With such domineering woodwork there's little to no cause to add any rock work.

17. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347549941.087830.jpg

Planting design.

18. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347654750.350456.jpg

Planting starts tomorrow!!

19. mattb

mattb New Member

Cracking hardscape material.

20. keithgh

Johnny

I am going to ask you only one question.

Why those stones?(n)(n)

Try this close your eyes for a good minute in front of your tank, and I guarantee when you open your eyes the first thing you will see is "Those" stones.

Mate its a massive distraction plus it spoils the look of your well thought out tank.