1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Neons spawning

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Raven, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Raven

Raven New Member

Hi everybody ! Just after some hours entering my 2 neons to their new home (300 lit), 3 days before, and they started to lay eggs. The female was laying about 10-15 eggs every 5 minutes. About 2 hours later I collected some eggs with a tube and put them in a small empty tank-just glass, a heater and a small sponge filter.Covered the tank for complete darkness and after 24 hours I took a look and there were fry ! Not too many and very tiny !
    Bad luck stroke today and the heater jammed,raising the temperature over 30 C. Lost all the fry at once :errr:
    Now i am prepairing the pair for the next time wich will be eventually after 2 weeks or so. And this time I will be better organized.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chadly

Chadly New Member

wow, that's cool! Tetras are fairly difficult to breed from what I hear. Your tank must be just right!

3. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

Awesome, glad you have a comfortable environment for them to breed. As Chad said, Tetras are among the difficult fish to breed. Good luck and hopefully you'll have some babies soon!

4. 10gallontank

10gallontank New Member

good job, from what i hear you shoulg add infusura during the first week since the fry are so small

5. Raven

Raven New Member

There are some informations I forgot to mention. The 2 neons were into my old tank wich I had neglected the past weeks. Water parameters were fairly bad and lots of nitrite, because a corydoras died and I could nt find the body between the dense vegetation.
    When I moved the pair to their brand new tank with clear water and zero nitrites it seems that I have triggered their breeding instincts. Water parameters were : PH 7, Gh 9, Kh 6. Tap water with the use of peat into the external filters.
    As I can see now the male is still chasing the female around the tank and ceeps away a cardinal that wants to scoole with them. I am feeding, live food and frozen lobster eggs and hopefully they will give me a new opportunity in a week or so.