1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice for cloudy glass

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Bumblr, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Bumblr

Bumblr New Member

Does anyone know how to clean algae "stains" from glass? My aquarium is housing turtles now, and the glass is fine when wet, but the upper portion of the glass (which I would like to see through) above the water line refuses to dry clearly, no matter how much I scrub. Does anyone know of a way to get these stains off? Any household products or methods that will make it look nicer? Any advice would be much appreciated :)

2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Are they hard, mineral/lime, water stains? If so, use some diluted vinegar and scrub it off gently (with a nonscatch pad). You can also try lemon juice too.

-John N.

3. Bumblr

Bumblr New Member

No, its not water stains (though the tank does have a bit of that too so thx for the tip!) its the remains of some spots that had a bad case of green algae that was a LOT of work to scrub off. It wasnt the stuff that wipes off easily, and my pleco and otto didn't seem to want to eat it when they were in that tank. I scrubbed like crazy to get it off and most of the green is gone, but its still not clear and doesn't seem to be getting any better with more scrubbing. Any ideas or am I just not trying hard enough? :p

4. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Oh, I see. Try some bleach on a sponge and wipe over it. That can clean up any stuck on debris and may clear up what's causing the haze.

Sometimes the cloudy class will magically disappear when there's water inside the tank covering the cloudy section.

-John N.

5. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

get one of those razor blade scrapers, or just use a regular razor blade...

6. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

if the water line can be lowered, keep it low and let that portion dry out for a day or 2. Then scrub with a damp piece of cotton. I had some old hard GSA stains on my tanks that i cleaned up this way.

7. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

I use stanley knife blades for anything like that. I don't like scrubbing. Too much like hard work. I slice anything off if I can until whatever is left is soft enough to be cleaned with a toothbrush.

I use the toothbrush weekly around the 'calcium' line at the water level to stop it building up now I do no water changes :)

AC