1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Need help understanding my water levels...

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Cai1987, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Cai1987

Cai1987 Aspiring Aquascaper

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Hi all, I recently uploaded these pictures to my journal but thought I'd get a little extra help by putting this to those who may have extra insight.
    •What am I looking for on this list of things?
    • can I still use my tapwater?
    •what are the major obstacles im going to have using my tapwater?
    •has anyone similar water parameters,had success growing plants and kept algae at bay with such high nitrate levels did instance?

Thanks in advance everyone and anyone. All input is greatly appreciated

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Cai

I have never seen a water report like that, I hope some one can assist you.

Keith:):)

Cai1987 likes this.
  3. Cai1987

Ok so I've done some tests on my tap water. Now I know alot of you don't really trust the household tests from the shelves but it's what I had at hand as I wanted to do some further research on my tap water. Here is what I found. O by the way I used the API MASTER KIT for this.:
    •PH- 7.4
    •ammonia-0.25ppm
    •nitrite- 0ppm
    •nitrate- 5.0ppm
    •KH- 16Dkh
    •GH- 30Gkh

What do we think?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  4. isla

isla Aspiring Aquascaper

if town report tell NO3 : 50mg/L
    and your api test say 5 ppm
    you need to test your test with a bottle mineral water which you know the no3 amount ...
    the total hardness read in direct ° german : 25
    but water quality can varie .

5. Cai1987

I think 50mg/l is the national amount that's allowed at most. Further along the grid it has the minimum, mean and maximum readings from 8 samples and they are as follows:
    •minimum- 4.6
    •mean-6
    •maximum-8.7
    Wether this is right I don't know but it seems more logical right? I'm going to take my print out to my LFS to see if they can fathom it out over weekend. I also might email the water board themselves.

6. Cai1987

7. kylumi

kylumi Aspiring Aquascaper

Those are guidelines I believe.....your in Hartlepool Cai, which is regarded as a Very Hard Water area.......but, not the hardest in the UK by a long way;)....... I used to live in Swindon, now that's really Hard Water:LOL:

8. Cai1987

From my bookworming and web trawling the 8samples are tests done in the lab and averaged out for my area. As with all other tests. Quite Interesting to read to be fair. We drink the stuff yet don't really follow what's happening with it. Crazy! Haha well you trump me there I admit. How did you conquer the dreaded hard water then @kylumi? RO or just went with it? I'm tempted to just go for it and work with what I've got in all honesty. I toy with idea of rain water mix but is it worth it.

9. keithgh

Cai

I would put every thing on hold until you get some very qualified answers.

Keith:):)

10. keithgh

Cai

Did you ever hear from the Water Board?

Keith:cat::cat:

11. Solcielo lawrencia

Solcielo lawrencia Aspiring Aquascaper

The first column is the regulatory maximum, not what's in the water. What's in the water is listed on the right side columns.

You'd probably be interested in NPK, GH, KH, salinity:
    Nitrate ~6ppm
    Phophate ~0.6ppm
    Potasstium ~ 2.7ppm

KH as (bi)carbonate ~ 320
    Ca ~ 115ppm
    Mg ~ 53ppm

Anyway, some readings are somewhat high which would cause problems with plant growth, such as the high levels of sodium and sulphate. High levels of these nutrients can prevent the uptake of other nutrients. But the very high levels of CaCO3 can also be problematic for nutrient uptake. What's important is the relative ratios of all the elements. Excesses of one affects the uptake and/or utilization of the others.

Cai1987 likes this.
  12. keithgh

Solcielo lawrencia

Thank you for that reply.

Many newcomers are concerned with their tank water and often fail to test their water supply and in some parts of the world its certainly not the best even to drink.

13. Cai1987

No I didn't get reply. However, seeing others use similar levels of water and have success im not going to get overly concerned about it. I will be using EI index method of fertilisation so I will be over dosing what's neccesary that little bit so they should get sufficient nutrient uptake regardless. Getting my co2 right is more critical for success I feel. Plenty of water changes and keep on top of maintenance throughout. If I feel the water needs dealing with down line then that's something I will look at then. There's so many people who have success in all parameters of water for plants. I've just got to be wise with my choices of flora and fauna.

14. Solcielo lawrencia

There's a lot of myths about CO2. Believe it or not, it's not critical. At all. You can actually grow a very nice-looking tank without adding it. The reason why CO2 is so emphasized is because it increases plant growth. However, if you are also dosing extremely high levels of micronutrients, the metals can become toxic very quickly. Higher CO2 levels coupled with higher light levels and macros increases plant uptake of the metals which reduces toxicity. This is why I do not recommend EI dosing due to the ease at which toxicity occurs. Almost no one knows what a toxicity in plants look like even if it's in front of their eyes.

Anyway, one way to reduce the carbonates in the water is to add acids like HCl or citric acid, even white vinegar. Adding acids turns the carbonates into CO2 which plants can use.

Also, it may not even be necessary to fertilize with macros since your water is somewhat high in them.

kylumi likes this.
  15. keithgh

Cai

On another forum a member was having massive Ammonia problems and nothing fixed it.

One simple water supply test solved the problem, the towns water came from a big local lake which was also the dumping ground for stolen cars etc.

They put in a big system just so they could have good clean drinking water.

In other words just doing a water change does not always fix the concern.

Its the very old system you must fix the cause not just the problem.

kylumi likes this.
  16. Cai1987

@Solcielo lawrencia so what would you add regarding fertilisation? The plants are obviously going to need some sort of additive.

17. keithgh

Cai

The way your water levels are at the moment you sound like you require a water chemist actually at your tank.

I am going to say the opposite.
    Stop all your additives except your water conditioner which you should be adding to your new water before you add it to your tank.

Next do 2x50% water changes per week for at least one month.

By that time all your plant additives should be removed.

In the mean time establish what you should and should not be doing.

In all the years I had aquariums I never had any of high end ferts I bought only what I required premixed or separate little containers and added only as directed/required for my plants and never a problem.

In your situation what you are adding/not adding depends on your plants plus your water supply which could vary over the year.

The only way you can get local help is check every LFS in your area as they would have the same water supply plus join a local Aquarium club.

18. Solcielo lawrencia

I'd only add fertz if it runs out between water changes. The fertz added would be the ones I can identify as deficient.

19. keithgh

Cai
    Could your problems be caused by your Co2 not being set up correctly/constant adjusting?

Most of us would have some type of water concern caused by our water supply, you have to learn two basic points either buy your water or work with it by growing plants that are suited to your water supply.

The more you continually adjust your water the more concerns you are going to have.

Keith :cat::cat:

20. Cai1987

No Keith, the only reason I'm altering my co2 at the moment is because it's a new setup and it needs tweaking to how I can set my ph right. It's set at 4bps for the time been.

I haven't yet started to add anything. I was going to start after my new week. I know you mentioned toxicity with too much of certain additives Solcielo. However with ei isn't that the point? To go over what's needed in tank but make sure you reset it every week with a big water change? Couldn't I possibly do a smaller one midweek also and then a big one on say a Sunday?
    There's plenty of people with same issue as me with water and get along fine dosing ferts with high light and high co2. Luckily my substrate carries a lot at moment for me to spend this time picking brains and reading up.