1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Need help choosing an easy plant to be able to make a nice mat

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by jordimex, Jul 14, 2017.

1. jordimex

jordimex New Member

i am starting an iwagumi tank and would like to know an easy plant to make a nice mat any advice? also could you tell me the plant requirements

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I'd recommend either eleocharis acicularis "mini" or Micranthemum "monte carlo"

For the most part these will require pressurized CO2 injection and medium to high light for the best look. A good planting substrate is also recommended. Something like Aquasoil or Controsoil.

Zeus and John Whatmough like this.
  3. jordimex

jordimex New Member

I have the new Caribsea samurai soil supposedly is better than their previous eco complete
    Also for the moment have a DIY CO2 will be getting a good system soon. Would you recommend Cuba? The guy at my lfs is saying he recommends that eyes closed since it's the same one he has in 3 planted aquariums at home

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

keithgh likes this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

jordimex

There is no reason why it should not grow in your tank as long as you have all the right growing conditions for it.

Keith:cat::cat:

5. jordimex

jordimex New Member

hopefully i will be able to have them wasn't so lucky with a baby tear mat i bought online a couple weeks ago for my 65 gallon

6. jordimex

jordimex New Member

also quick question are dwarf baby tears the same as cuba? i have seen some mixed reviews on the www

7. keithgh

Jordimex

Unless you know the seller buying plants on line can be a risky business sometimes. Its far safer dealing with your LFS and if the plants do not look the best it's there concern not yours then.

8. keithgh

Introduction to Dwarf Baby Tears
    A dwarf baby tear is a very popular aquarium plant which is also known as cuba, Hemianthus Cuba, pear grass or HC. It is commonly used as a foreground or carpeting plant in planted aquariums. It is slow to moderate growing plant and it originates from East Havana in Cuba. It is currently the smallest carpeting plant and is available for aquascaping. In wild it occurs in rocky rivers during the dry season. This species form a dense, bright green carpet over the entire aquarium substrate under optimal conditions. Its popularity is increasing day by day among the aquarium enthusiasts due to their very small leaves and gorgeous bright green coloration.

Info https://aquaticmag.com/aquarium-plants/dwarf-baby-tears-caresheet/

9. jordimex

jordimex New Member

great so it is the same thing!!

10. keithgh

jordimex
    This is possibly how it got its common name.

11. ShadowMac

I would not recommend HC aka cuba aka dwarf baby tears to beginners. It is one of the more difficult carpeting plants to grow. Monte carlo will get you a near identical look (slightly bigger leaves) and be much easier.

Your LFS guy can shove it :p I wanna see his cuba! lol

Growing plants is not a matter of luck :whistle: It is an acquired skill and will often times require certain equipment like pressurized CO2 systems and adequate lighting.

Zeus likes this.
  12. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

HC not easy like Shawn says, need excellant light and pressurised CO2 good AS and regular ferts. Plus knowing what works with your water supply.

next question is how deep is the tank?

13. jordimex

jordimex New Member

My tank is a standard 10 gal

14. keithgh

Jordimex

Zeus as you would know they can vary a little between type and brand

It "could" be assisted with the use of Seachem Flourish

10 (leader) 37.9 20 x 11 x 13
    10 (long) 37.9 24 x 9 x 13

The depth is reduced by the height of the substrate and this can vary depending on the Aquascaping

Then there is this HC growing in a pond.

Some where there is HC growing wild and from that it was cultivated.
    No pressurised Co2 or LED lighting in the wild.

I have been growing cloned plants (non aquarium) for too many years and if a clone is taken from a clone and clones from clones just goes on and on over a period of time there can be a great difference from the original plant from the wild.

15. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Its growing on the surface of the pond or just below, where light is great and CO2 flow is plentiful due to diffusion in air being thousands of times faster then in water.

16. ShadowMac

Keith, that is regular baby tears aka Hemianthus micrathemoides not Hemianthus callitrichoides (HC or dwarf baby tears). And...Dustin's fishtanks...oh man... I wont jump into that, but he wasn't sure if it was "dwarf" or "regular". I'm pretty sure he misidentified it as it looks more like Hemianthus umbrosum to me.

While still finicky it is an easier plant. Also, it is a mistake to assume natural systems where we find plants do not have elevated CO2 levels (above what atmospheric pressure would allow)...most actually do. Some are fed by underground aquafers that enrich the water. Others have a fair amount of organic decay which enrich the water when CO2 is a byproduct of bacterial respiration.

Flourish excel can help sure, particularly in small tanks...but I'm learning a bit more about excel with some folks running some pretty interesting studies (the academic kind) challenging the known mechanisms for why and how excel works. The emerging picture is not a pleasant one.

When I give advice on what to grow I try to consider what works best for most people, not outliers like DIY or excel or suggest that if nature can do it so can they. What works for growing HC consistently is what Zeus outlined: strong light; high CO2, good flow, and an enriched substrate.

Sure I've seen it grown in sand, on rocks, on wood, etc. I've seen people DIY CO2 it...but all of these things are outliers and for every one of them there are a hundred or more who fail and just as many who fail while having all the necessary equipment. I myself took three tries before I got a good thick carpet.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Zeus likes this.
  17. jordimex

jordimex New Member

so you guys would recommend me getting a small CO2 kit? which one would suffice the tank i have?

18. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Yes, as long as you get one which can handle the job. Just managed to pick up a 10G tank high tech second hand tank with 6.5Kg bottle duel stage regulator for £100. So there are bargains to be had second hand. Do find the 10G tank uses next to nothing CO2 wise compared to the 100G tank and changes the drop checker yellow on 1BBS.
    A decent duel stage regulator could last many many years, Single stage still worth considering but just prone to end of cylinder dump of CO2, which could be potentially lethal to fish, easy to work around never let cylinder get close to being empty.

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  19. ShadowMac

something from CO2Art for cheaper model. Something from GLA for top quality build in the States.

To grow HC you will want pressurized CO2. Or you can grow monte carlo and forgo the CO2. Similar look and easier to grow.

20. keithgh

Jordimex

Zeus has given you possibly the best advice you will ever get. Now its up to you to some research locate a few that you think will do the job and then post your choices and why you have selected those units.