1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Nano Tropica Aquacube 20x20x20cm

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by sworrall, Aug 6, 2009.

1. sworrall

sworrall Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi All

Ive been hanging around on here visiting now and then so I thought it about time I put up a journal of a Tropica Aquacube that im working on at the moment.

Some stats

Substrate: Tropica Aquacare topped with ADA Amazonia then sieved Amazonia
    Plants: HC, UG, Hairgrass and Fissidens Fontanus
    Lighting: Suppied Tropica light upgraded to 20w halogen
    Tank: Tropica Aquacube 20x20x20cm - 8l
    CO2: Pressurised Sera CO2 reg and bottle with Dazs Chisel Diffuser
    Filter: Azoo Mignon 60 HOB
    Hardscape: Seiryu Stone

I hardscaped it the other night with Seiryu stone and tropica aquacare underneath, ada amazonia normal then topped off with powder (read normal amazonia put through a 2.5mm bonsai sieve :D )

Ive also tried to set it up so its viewable from the front and righthand side as it it will be seen from these angles in the lounge.

initial hardscaping

Front
    [​IMG]

Right side
    [​IMG]

The next night I got my Bonsai tools out and trimmed and stripped some bark off some nano heather wood i'd got from the Alwen Reservoir by me (idea borrowed from Dan and Graeme from ukaps.org forum to use heather). The wood then got forced/glued into the cracks in the Seiryuo stone and im hoping it doesnt all float out once its filled with water :lol:

This week im planning to plant it up with some UG down the slope, HC on the front and hairgrass in the back.

Some pics of the wood positioning below. Im trying to get a kind of cascade effect that we strive for in Bonsai where trees battle the elements on the side of cliffs, some make it and hug the cliff for shelter. Others dont make it and end up as driftwood. Once i plant it up, the "trees" that do make it should hopefully have some fissidens fontanus glued to them so they look alive. All experimental at the moment and it may end in disaster but ill give it a go :)

Front
    [​IMG]

Closer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right Side
    [​IMG]

Sponsored link:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Hoi Sworrall,
    I have a little Ulmus parvifolia Bonsai my self :) I like the Hardscape very much!
    with a tiny green carpet and some longer spots it will be my favourite nano ;)

I failed multiple times with UG so wish you better luck!!!

3. sworrall

cheers jur4ik. Chinese elms are great aren't they :) UG is a first for me too so ive got my fingers crossed that i can grow it!

4. Jurijs mit JS

This is again one of those Hardscape tanks like the one from Graeme Edwards (or Dan Crawford), Hardscape only it was a gem, after planting lost its charme somehow .. MVHO
    I´m keeping my fingers crossed for your ;)

5. zeneo

zeneo New Member

I love the hardscape,

If you don't want to loose the impact of the hardscape, you should keep only one or two diferent plants max.

6. James Marshall

James Marshall New Member

Excellent hardscape.
    Where are you going to get the Fissidens Fontanus?, i've been unable to find it in the UK.

Cheers James

7. Jurijs mit JS

You can order it from germany for example ;)

8. sworrall

Thanks zeneo. comketely agree about the one or two types with it being a small tank. Ive experimented with putting hairgrass behind the main rock so you should only see the tops of of pocking out when it grows.

I got some from aquaticmagic on ebay ages ago. Its grown on a branch so I take cuttings now and then but its a damn slow grower!

All planted up last night as planned except i couldnt find the super glue so the Fissidens hasnt gone on yet. Will post up some pics in the next day or so as the waters now cleared up.

9. Jurijs mit JS

ui.. looking forward :)

10. saintly

saintly Aspiring Aquascaper

goodness, i've just seen you on my journal and i've completely didn't even see yours stu!. sorry mate. good to see you here!

welcome to the world of nano iwagumi 8) I'm going to look at yours for while before I attempt mine. it's a whole new ball game...for me at least.

a nice looking arrangement mate. do you reckon the wood will stay in place? I'm guessing it's wedged in....

mark

11. sworrall

Lol mark, yup expanding my forums view to worldwide, so many good tanks on here.

Cheers for the comments. The wood is jammed into the grooves in the rock so handy that I used Seiryu! I glued a few pieces too but some have risen slightly with the water buoyancy so I need to sort that. Im hoping to take some water out tonight so I can move it onto some white card to photograph it. Fingers crossed all the soil doesnt shift!!!

12. sworrall

I managed to do a water change tonight and get some pictures. As above the wood has floated slightly so I need to fix that as they should be flatter and not sticking out of the rock so much.

Other than that everything planted quite well with the minimum of clouding. Pics below include the Dazs Chisel diffuser and some nice ADA parts set grey tubing (I left them in as I was bound to break the glass if I tried to take it out!). Boyu bubble counter on the outside. I took off the HOB and the light for the photography. Hope you like it...

Front

[​IMG]

Angle

[​IMG]

Close-up of diffuser and planting

[​IMG]

Corner

[​IMG]

In-situ in the lounge under the TV with the HOB and light in place.
    Bruce isnt sure he likes it yet...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

letsgodisco likes this.
  13. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Tanks next to the TV I see. Just like me. I like to be able to choose my viewing without moving. lol

I quite like the hardscape but (shock horror from a wood lover and rock hater) I think the twigs look a little out of place. They seem to make the hardscape look a little messy. The rocks look really good though. Like a craggy Peak District look and the plants are coming on well :).

Will be interesting to see how the wood looks when the plants are fully grown in ;)

AC

14. Jurijs mit JS

Andy, Sworral is going to attach fissidens to the wood, so it will look like bonsai.

I do realy like it planted, hope all plants will go good. what is you actual fertilising regime?

15. sworrall

Cheers both. Im going to remove the top branches as they stick out too much due to floating. Ill cut some new ones and put fissidens on once I find my superglue :)

Ferts I havent really calculated yet but it wil be TPN+ and easycarbo plus the 1bps co2 ive already got going in. Ive got a 1ml syring so Ill no doubt be using that.

16. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

Nice nano!

I would agree the top branches don't look natural in the planted pic, they looked pretty good in the first shot.

I think midground planting might be too strong for the hardscape. Maybe just HC with some Hairgrass poking around - JMHO.

17. saintly

saintly Aspiring Aquascaper

lovely stu! very inspirational to say the least. i must admit though, the wood has seemed to of lost it's way a little now it's planted.

that said, it's still one of the best i've seen from the UK

18. sworrall

wow, cheers mark :D The wood has now been changed. the un-natural sticky up bits removed and repalced with low lying bits plus the fissidens is now glued on. Will try and get some pics tonight.

19. sworrall

small update. no pics as the wife is on the wi so a big piece of white card in front of the TV wont go down too well!

The HC is growing well so going to get a trim but the UG is melting in places so Ill have to see how that goes :(

One question, when to start dosing TPN+ with it being AS and havin nutrients in it?

20. JamesM

JamesM New Member

Dose straight away mate :) just keep up those water changes.

Look sgreat btw ;)