1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Nano CO2 sets without solenoid

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by John Whatmough, Nov 23, 2017.

1. John Whatmough

John Whatmough Aspiring Aquascaper

Very much as title says ,I purchased a small 95g set ,and as most of these of size come without solenoid,I was wondering any problems to adding one?Diagram or picture would help.Just to say reason is it’s very awkward to reset daily on the regulator to the bubbles per second

2. hektek.hn

hektek.hn New Member

I have a 1 gallon nano tank that actually doesn’t have a solenoid I use the fluval CO2 kit. As far as getting the CO2 levels right, just use a drop checker and go from there. its not tedious at all, truthfully i don’t even use a bubble counter, after a while you”ll be able to know just by looking at the bubble rate coming from the diffuser.
    Nano tanks usually don’t need much co2 to get to that green color on drop checker. I set my co2 till its just 1 fine hair-like stream coming from diffuser, within a half hour i should have some good co2 levels. (i don’t recommend putting fish in till you get to know your levels.)[​IMG]

John Whatmough likes this.
  3. John Whatmough

Thanks for your reply .Got this set just for a really small tank just to grow on plants,cuttings etc. I already have a CO2 art reg forFE not in use at moment and a D-D with solenoid in use on the main aquarium,so easy switch on on timer and needle valve rarely needs tweaking. Great if I am away for a few days.The nano set is pretty good but you have to be around to turn reg on every day roughly same time and maybe the Fluval is better quality but it’s difficult to reset on daily use. Drop checker green and BPS for some reason always takes time or the need to be there to do it . That was my question about fitting a solenoid, don’t know of many small kits with a supplied one. Maybe put it on 24 hours on lower BPS.?

4. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Yes you may, but more likely to have irregular [CO2] unless you have good flow

Then when lights go off the CO2 produced by the plants will increase the [CO2] even more. If your going for a 1.0pH drop the extra drop could be fatal to fish/scrimp

The more I read about CO2 injection the more I read about the problems associated with CO2 not done well

keithgh and John Whatmough like this.
  5. John Whatmough

Thanks Zeus, it’s only a tiny few litres Disney tank what my granddaughter had, I been using it to put to use any trimmings, etc it’s got soil with gravel at bottom,I did have a aerosol Tropica kit on it everything grew fine,when then ran out I just used fertiliser and Dennerle bio carb, same everything doing ok now got this 95g Aqua-one kit never used small kit like this before plants doing really well but adjusting the reg is awkward hence the question about fitting a solenoid on timer,I don’t intend any fish but would only if I get a safe balance add a few shrimps.Why these small kits don’t have solenoids not sure maybe keeping price down?should have said I have seen aquariums run CO2 24/7 one in ADA contest but can see the issue with that

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    keithgh and Zeus like this.
  6. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Having CO2 on 24/7 can be done without issues OFC as long as there is good flow so the CO2 gets evenly distributed in the water. Plus as long as livestock don't suffer. Little wasteful of CO2, but small tanks don't need much so if you have a decent cheap supply of CO2 can be a path worth taking. Does save working out how long the tank takes to get the pH drop.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

keithgh and John Whatmough like this.