1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

nano and pico tank subforum

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by randy0319, Sep 14, 2011.

?

should we have a seperate forum catagory for nanp/pico tanks?

Poll closed Nov 13, 2011.
  1. Yes we should!!!

32 vote(s)
    62.7%
  2. sure, why not...

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. no interest

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. heck no!!

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

depends on filtration and amount of shrimp you keep in there, imho

Sponsored link:

2. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

Diego's little micro tanks don't have creatures at all and are amazing examples of the art of the miniature. I feel that they are valid even if you stick a small snail in them and hope for the best. Daily water changes or a parent tank might help. So....10 gal or 15 gal is the upper limit for this?....Personally I think 10 gal is a good place to start and shrink from there. Any oppinions?...or suggestions?

3. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Of course Diego's little tanks are valid. Even if they do not have creatures such as fish they could have snails. And plants are alive, so they are also a part of nature.

I am very fond of his tanks, and others like it, and I believe that they should have a description of some sort. I call them micros, anything smaller than 1L I call micro.

4. randy0319

sounds good to me. I agree with you. I just got a new camera so the next nano scape that I do will have pics of it creation that I shall put in here. I hope that others do the same. Micro is a good name for that size as well. I need to get out my tweezers....

5. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

I voted No because once you start separating the Nano tanks from the larger tanks people will miss things. When they are all together as just aquascapes no matter the size then it is one sub forum and people don't miss them.

Its already a little like that with the 'aspiring aquascapers' and 'aquascaping showcase' sub forums where people put their journals in one or the other and I rarely go in the showcase one so I miss anything journalwise that goes in there.

I guess it gives an idea on how good someone things they are if they use the 'showcase' rather than the 'aspiring aquascapers' however more likely is just the language barrier or like me not knowing where to put it. Therefore I use aspiring so as not to make it look like I think too much of myself. lol

Much better in me eyes would be to have a sub forum that clearly says 'journals' and one that clearly says 'finished setups' i.e. One a journal sub and the other a gallery sub.

Maybe it is possible to put the size subs at the top that are filters so if you enter the sub it only shows tanks of the selected size where for others who just look at scapes and aren't interested in size would still be able to see everything unfiltered?

i.e. go into the main forum and it shows all the tanks, click on the Nano sub forum and it shows only the Nanos?

Would need us to 'tag' each journal/scape for it to work but I personally would lose a bit of interest if things start geting separated. I'm very lazy and would just view the main sub as I do now :(

I tend to see all on their merit (or rather my minority tast. lol) and therefore never really look at the tank size. Its a scape and does it work, do I like it. Simple as that for me.

I have shrimp breeding in my 8 litre and 23 litre. Fine for them Luis :) No fish in them though.

Andy

6. ghostsword

Thanks Andy, I got a 8L tank, but never managed to keep shrimp on it, they always died, mostly due to temperature swings. :(

Got a 27L that had shrimp for a long time, but one summer day the temperature rose, and I was out, they all passed away. :(

Maybe my fault, but I stopped now keeping shrimp on those tanks, too little water to keep stable. It can be done, of course, but too much work. :)

7. knocker

knocker New Member

Luis,
    temperature rise probably was not a case why shrimps died. I am keeping Caridina cantonensis var. red (crs) quiet for a long time (2 years or so) in 40x25x30cm tank and I have no problems with shrimp deaths. When I started with these creatures I had couple dozens of this shrimps dead, but after while when I gained experience to ensure water quality, no more deaths occurred, even on summertime, when water temperature in this aquarium fluctuate between 24.5 deg. of C during Night time and 29-30 on day time. The shrimps still where reproducing and I have a lot of juvenile creatures.

8. ghostsword

Could be water quality, too many water changes, not good enough filter, will need to check it out. It just did not work for me. :)

9. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

@randy

Thanks for bringing this out. I think it's pretty obvious we should have a 'small' tank forum. Small tanks are increasingly popular are more within reach of some folks since they don't require as much space, expenditure, etc. They also bring their own special charm. If and when we establish the new forum I'll be sure to add some more pics, thanks for the comments.

@Supercoley,

Aspiring Aquascapers
    Start a progression journal of your planted aquarium, and share & receive critiques on your developing aquascapes.

Aquascaping Showcase
    Show off your finished aquascape here.

I think we might need to revisit this. The title 'Aspiring Aquascapers' doesn't really jive with someone putting together a journal. If they are experienced by just want to show off their tanks progression it doesn't seem to fit. Aquascaping Showcase to me should just be someone's finished scape with a photo most likey without equipment. I think this is why there's confusion sometimes on where to post.

10. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Renaming some parts of the forum is already on my agenda:
    announcements - news board
    Aspiring aquascapers - aquascaping journals

I specially like Andys idea to implement a capacity filter on each forum.

What do you think, do we need more categories for discussion forums?
    eg: plants, inverts, DIY, light, nutrients..

11. tenshu

tenshu New Member

My answer is no, there is already too much categories.
    Or they should be merged and then a nano/pico category would make sense.

12. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

I agree. That is why I suggested the 'filter' option because some forums just end up with so many sub forums and so many stickies that you just can't be bothered with them after a while. I have no idea if a filter can work or is provided within the forum software though.

At least with a filter you can keep it simple but give the user the option to make it more complicated if they wish. lol

Andy

13. randy0319

I guess it is up to the 'powers that be' on this site. The suggestions above are valid and maybe some streamlining would help. I was just excited about nano tanks and wondered if anyone else felt the same way enough to talk about the issues involved. Be it- 'what are the upper limits to 'nano-pico-micro', plants good and bad, critters good and bad, or any number of things that pertain to small tanks. I would hope that there could be some creativity and support for people who might be interested. Besides the amazing pictures of these tiny works of art and skill. What ever is decided is fine. Personally I would hope for a seperate subforum or filter option to be established. I have seen enough small tank pics of members in here to be impressed by how many have them. If they were all in one place it would be easier to work out the bugs, shoot ideas off of each other and problem solve. There are my two cents worth.---R

14. Andrea Perotti

Andrea Perotti New Member

I voted "Yes, We Should!!!" :rock:

15. randy0319

I just finished scaping my five gal. When it fills in a bit I will take pics to show it. I hope that we can get a subforum for showing stuff some day soon.