1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

nano and pico tank subforum

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by randy0319, Sep 14, 2011.

?

should we have a seperate forum catagory for nanp/pico tanks?

Poll closed Nov 13, 2011.
  1. Yes we should!!!

32 vote(s)
    62.7%
  2. sure, why not...

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. no interest

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. heck no!!

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

I am really loving nano and pico tanks and the amazing ways that people create such beautiful scapes in such a small space. Should we have a seperate subforum to show off and discuss the issues, problems, solutions, ideas, and techniques for this part of the hobby? Also I hope that this thread will be used to showcase peoples pictures of their own pico tanks and nano creations. What do people think??

Sponsored link:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

IMO nano is less than 60 liters and pico less than 10 liters. Do you agree or any other opinion?

3. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

and less then 1 liter is micro? ;)

4. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Yep. Would say Pico less than 5L and Micro less than 1L.

5. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

10G (38l) is still common starter tank in US so hard for me to call anything bigger a nano. Also popular ADA tank is 60 liters. My opinion less than 10G(38l) is nano and less than 3G(11l) is pico and 1G(3.8L) or less is micro.

6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

At least they would all be together making it easy for the poster interested in starting up a different Aquascape.

Keith

7. Jurijs mit JS

In Germany there is a law, fish have to be kept in tanks of minimum 60liters. Smaller tanks for fish keeping are not allowed as per law.

This is why it is common to call tanks smaller than 60liters nano tanks in Germany.

Also the smallest available made in Germany tank is a 10 liter tank, so this is the smallest size known in Germany as for nano tanks. Not sure there is a law that prohibits to make smaller ones, however this is the smallest common size.

Smaller tanks than 10 liter I would categorize as pico tanks and smaller than 1 liter as micro.

Summary:

0-1 liters = micro

1-10 liters = pico

10-60 liters = nano

Due to liter and gallon size there is a range of common tank sizes.

8. Jurijs mit JS

Is there any law in the us, that says minimum tank size for fish keeping?
    And what are the smallest available tanks made in the us?

9. SuperWen

SuperWen New Member

According to AGA:

Small <70L
    Medium 70-200L
    Large 200-400L
    X-Large >=400L

for me, Pico is under a Gallon

10. ghostsword

We are not just talking about fish but also keeping scapes on things as small as 500ml, or even 100ml. What to call those?

60l or even 35l is not nano, small maybe but not nano.

11. Jurijs mit JS

Luis,
    This might Be your Personal opinion. Please explain Why and give examples.

12. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

i like your categorize juri. its my opinon too, but i would start nano at 30 liter. if someone buy a small tank with 54l which is around the size of an entry tank set, should it called nano? luis under 1 liter is definatly a micro to me. anyway we could categorize into 20 categorys from xxl to ultramicro, but that would make no sence.

13. ghostsword

In the Uk, a starter tank is about 30L, and that is what most people start with. They go to Pets at Home and buy a tank that is between 60L to 25L, average being 30L. That should be a small tank.

Then we have the new tanks from TMC, Betta, dennerle and some eheim. Those are under 30L, with the large majority being under 16L.

Then we have the amazing mini tanks, under 1L, really nice scapes on those.

That is just in the UK, not extrapolate to the world and you will see a range that matches what I wrote above.

Understood, in Germany is different, but that does not apply to the rest of the world.

All in all, it is just a tank, so the names are just that, names, but we can create a section for small tanks of 60L to 20L, then nanos anything from 20L to 5L, then micros anything under that.

14. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

i agree with you in the small category and nano category luis. but i would still categorize micro tanks with less then 1 liter... above is nano to me too. As juri said, in germany nano normaly begin with 60 liter as a cube tank. thats a little confusing cause starter sets with 54 liter are not called nano. that might be caused of the industrie and what they print on the packaging.

15. ghostsword

True, Micro should be smaller than 1L. :)

16. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

No, I wish there was. That is pretty amazing to me that they do that in Germany. So no goldfish or betta bowls are allowed?

My little nano bought in a chain petstore (petsmart) is 0.9 gallon:

[​IMG]

17. randy0319

First of all thanks to all who have responded and voted. Second, ...wow..I am glad that there is such interest in what would be considered 'small', 'nano', and 'Pico' sizes. I would add that no matter what the size we need to consider the pragmatic sustainability of any size water column and whether it can keep a snail or teeny tiny shrimp/ fish alive for a realistic amount of time. Plant only tanks, IMHO, are just as suitable and valued for their achievement in design, skill, and presentation. How sustainable are they is up to the individual and whether they can clean the sides of a light bulb or shot glass...lol...Anyway, you kind folks can iron out those details. But Please Please Please---share your pictures of your smallest of scapes, tanks, ideas, perameters, suggestions as to care maintenance, techniques, and types of plants that have worked well for you in this nitch of the hobby. Pretty much anything goes as long as we keep it small- tiny- minute, and stunningly beautiful.

18. randy0319

J house! Thanks for the first pic! Your little tank looks wonderful! It reminds me of the top of a snowy peak in the Alps during Christmas. If you have anymore pictures to inspire us please show them. Here is my ten gal; but I am going to rescape it. I will be buying a better camera very soon and my five gal will have pics of a new aquascape and will be posted as soon as I can put them up. I also have a one gal. glass tumbler for plants that I made a scape in once. I'm going to do it again because this is all very inspiring to me and others ( I hope). Thanks for sharing.

Attached Files:

19. Jurijs mit JS

No they are forbidden in germany as the minimum tank capacity to keep fish has to be 60 cm. I once asked for bowls in a pet shop, that was a damn mistake - had to listen to a 30 minutes lesson about pet rights etc ..

20. ghostsword

What o have kept on 8l tanks are guppy fry, they are really small and very pretty. Will get some platies to the main tank to use the fry on the small 8l tank.

Anything smaller than a borara can e used really, no more than 4. When they become too big I put them on the main tank.

What do I do with he excess? Give to friends and family, and some go to the local shops.

I really like the small tanks, and micros even more, but on those only snails I keep.

I believe that any tank smaller than 30l would be too small for shrimp.