1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Mystical Mountains Journal

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by ashley, Nov 23, 2015.

1. ashley

ashley Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks! :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Sponsored link:

2. ashley

Update 2016.01.17:

Some updates on the UG, because that's the only thing I'm waiting for before I can flood the tank.

I've noticed that some of the UG have begun sending side shoots and spreading, merging with patches next to each other, hurray for rhizotonic!! Some are doing better than others, if you can see in the pictures below, some UG are bigger fatter plumper blades while some still remain sharp and tiny and have not sent side shoots out yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I[​IMG]

I think this is good progress, but slow, UG is probably one of the hardest plants I've ever encountered!

greenfinger 2 and derfliw like this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

ashley

Its far better to have a slow growth than no growth at all.

It all looks very good.

Keith:cat::cat:

derfliw and ashley like this.
  4. ashley

Indeed! Hopefully it will turn out okay.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

5. keithgh

ashley

It will providing you do not change any thing and follow all the good information you have in every detail.

6. ashley

Update 2016.01.25:

Hello everyone! :)

UG is growing well and rooting quite a little bit, however because of the saran wrap it's all fogged up so I didn't want to unwrap just to take a picture.

Today I decided to do more with my hardware. First a picture:

[​IMG]
    As you can see, I had previously reinforced my IKEA TV cabinet (because wife loooooves IKEA) and it's relatively cheap, just need to make sure it is stable, which it is now. As you can see, plenty of space for fertilizers, fish food and other smaller equipment e.g air pump.

The plastic rectangular container which I got at walmart is to make sure if there is any water leak from the filter directly, it'll be able to catch quite a bit of water before overflowing. Maybe I'll see if I can modify a smoke alarm to make it detect water in the container, if done correctly it will blast so loud as soon as there is water leakage and alert me.

Okay the intake of the water is behind the mountain on the right, I had put a stainless steel mesh inside the eheim plastic mesh, just in case I decide to add a few shrimps.
    [​IMG]

Then the water will be sucked into the canister filter on the left side of the cabinet, do what filters do - filter water and then exits the canister filter, leading to the right side of the cabinet. The water will flow through the in-line heater, then goes through the CO2 reactor. The CO2 is injected into the reactor (see black tubing).
    [​IMG]

I had fixed the in-line heater, bubble counter to the sides of the cabinet using home depot stuff, cheap, has double sided tape and I just put zip tie through and lock.
    [​IMG]

Actually all my hardware e.g canister filter, ADA CO2 system etc were all bought second hand or traded with on BC aquaria forum, the locals mostly in Vancouver, B.C. I've took about 1 year or so to slowly accumulate all these equipment.
    [​IMG]

These are parts to be connected to my air pump and to the sand waterfall on the right.
    [​IMG]

It's going to be a busy week at work and need to wake up extra early. I wanted to trim my work tank this week but I don't think I'll have time, it's getting overgrown though. I doubt I'll do much but I'll see what I can do with the home tank.

Doing aquarium related stuff is very stress relieving and clears the mind! :) stay tuned and have a good week ahead of you all!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    greenfinger 2, keithgh and derfliw like this.
  7. keithgh

Ashley

Looks like you have it all under control at the moment.

Keep us updated please.

8. ashley

Update 2016.01.29:

So after 2.5 months I had got my tank and dry started the plants, I've finally flooded it yesterday night!
    [​IMG]

All seems fine, the plants like the UG will definitely go through some shock by me flooding the tank, some might not do so well later on but usually plants recover, I'm hoping everything goes well. I've added a hydor wave maker for better circulation, don't really want algae to proliferate at low flow areas.

No UG patches except the one patch on the most right floated (which I suspected it will). I have now buried it back and hair pinned it to the substrate, hopefully it will root faster.

Left side of tank
    [​IMG]

Right side
    [​IMG]

Top middle side, and in my opinion the UGs here grew the best, they have rooted greatly and spread like wild fire.
    [​IMG]

I think the middle grew the best because it's the lowest substrate vs. water level when dry starting, however more water means more algae, can you see the two blue green algae patches? I wonder if dilute H2O2 can get rid of it.
    [​IMG]

I'm currently doing 4-5 bubbles/second for CO2, will need to gauge later today if that's sufficient. Meanwhile my lily pipe :) I like it very much, almost invisible when view from front
    [​IMG]

Things yet to do:
    - I've yet to determine a kind of moss for the tree.
    - set up air pump etc for sand waterfall
    - fill up pathway/river with more sand to hide the black trim.
    - H2O2 the two green mountains on the left of the algae to try to return them to the original nice grey blue stone colour.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  9. keithgh

Ashley

It will look a lot better as it ages at the moment it looks too sterile (clean and tidy)

derfliw likes this.
  10. ashley

Yes you're right and also no fishes yet that's why haha

derfliw and keithgh like this.
  11. ashley

Update 2016.02.01:

On the weekend I went to a local aquarium store to try my luck in getting weeping moss, and I got the last one!

[​IMG]
    Tropica plants are more expensive than any other plant supplier for sure but the good thing about it is, there is zero snails. And that's what I'm trying to achieve in the tank.

Took out my bonsai drift wood and since new wood tend to grow fungus for a little while, I sprayed it with dilute 3% hydrogen peroxide to get rid of the fungus.
    [​IMG]

I was originally going to blend the moss and paint it together with yogurt and fertilizers onto the wood for a more uniform spread and humid start but since I've already filled my tank, that's no longer an option. Therefore I've superglued the weeping moss onto the wood instead.
    [​IMG]

Then I added ADA la plata sand, I think there might be two types, mine is the fine particle size type. I add the la plata sand on top, capping my beige sand. La plata is heavier than my beige sand (prevent beige sand being blown away or mixing with the black ADA amazonia) and maybe less prone to algae, I guess we'll have to see with time.

Hah made use of the tropica plastic cup, fill half cup with sand, mix with half cup water, slowly descend to place where I want to empty and empty slowly. Then sand won't go everywhere!
    [​IMG]

UG roots grow..... grow! :)
    [​IMG]

I've actually read on this site:
    http://bubblesaquarium.com/images/home mid_photo/Article on UG/utricularia_graminifolia.htm
    UG is really sensitve to change in environment and also when it is rooting it might prefer lower light, or at least that's how I interpreted it.

Makes sense though, if light is so strong, the plant will want to grow more leaves, instead of concentrating on rooting, roots grow slower. Having high light the past few weeks also made my UG become whiter (burn?), and since I made my light less strong and pipetted a few mLs of rhizotonic into the water column, the plants have returned to be greener and sending out more roots. The combination of lower lighting, rhizotonic and CO2 seem to work well.
    [​IMG]

One more photo for the day
    [​IMG]

I'll be working on my sand waterfall next! Stay tuned!

12. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Complete newbie here so take with a grain of salt. Looks very man made as opposed to natural. Keith sort of said it above, a little bit too sterile. I wonder what could be done to remove the human element.

13. ashley

Maybe when plants grow in?

14. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Possibly, yes. The image it pulls up for me is "The Wizard of Oz". I think the thing missing to my eye is the destination. The path just ends. Maybe narrowing it more in the back end would give more depth, or even adding some sort of silhouette of where the road leads to. Just thinking out loud. Love the setup and equipment by the way.

ashley likes this.
  15. keithgh

Ashley

The last photo is possibly the best photo you have taken of that aquascape.

J Art many new aquascapes are sterile until they age to get the more natural appeal, som,e take a lot longer than others.

16. ashley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How about these, Keith? :)

Jack and derfliw like this.
  17. keithgh

Ashley

I always prefer front on photo rather than tapered side on photos.

The Sunset/Sunrise photo is OK but could be improved for presentation.

Square on with a good cropping.

Back reflections and non Aquascape tank fittings should be removed.

It will look a lot better when the plants start growing over the pathway as its too neat and tidy at the moment.

ashley likes this.
  18. ashley

Yes I'm waiting for the plants to grow too. Hopefully the UG will turn out well, very challenging plant!

19. keithgh

Ashley

Open a new topic Growing UG, I "think" there are a very few members that have mastered it with a lot of care.

20. jagermelifter

jagermelifter Aspiring Aquascaper

lookin good! cant wait to see the waterfall going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keithgh and ashley like this.