1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Mystical Mountains Journal

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by ashley, Nov 23, 2015.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Ashley.

This is crazy every thing is working fine why ?????? sounds like a problem in the ???? with the ????
    [​IMG]

Computers?????$&Y(*%^#@!@%.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. ashley

ashley Aspiring Aquascaper

Hahahah I'm glad you can see them now

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

derfliw likes this.
  3. keithgh

Ashley

Its one of those things I will never know the reason, usually its caused by ??? outside your computer, eg after a MS update they sometimes turn their firewall back on when I have my own security on.

derfliw likes this.
  4. ashley

Update 2016.01.06

So after dinner today I had some time so I played around with my equipment arrangement, particularly my inline heater, here's some pictures:

Got the 1/2" 90 degrees barbed engineered polyalloy elbows from home depot - 95 cents each. And some stainless steel crimps. These polyalloy elbows are supposedly superior to brass fittings. Though probably won't want to use brass anyway - brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Never know if the copper will erode out and poison invertebrates or not. Better safe than sorry.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also put a ball valve just in case I need to shut off the water in this region for some reason. To the right of the ball valve will be leading to the CO2 reactor which I'm still waiting for to arrive in the mail.
    [​IMG]

Comments? :)

derfliw likes this.
  5. keithgh

Ashley

Looking good unless those SS crimps are Marine grade SS they could rust wipe /spray some silicone on them plus always have a few spares on hand always, to keep them nice and clean store them in a small plastic container with plenty of Baby Powder and reseal it.

6. ashley

Yup they are stainless steel. Okay will look into that.

7. keithgh

Ashley

But are they marine grade I doubt it to get them you would have to go to a store that sold Marine supplies SS is graded by numbers.

8. aquartica

aquartica New Member

WOW! That's one amazing setup you got there! Thank you for sharing this with us, got some new ideas for the next aquarium i'm going to set up for a friend of mine.

derfliw likes this.
  9. ashley

Thank you! :)

derfliw likes this.
  10. ashley

Update 2016.01.10

So I did lots for nothing this weekend lol... I had decided to fill the tank before my CO2 from ebay arrives because I have a CO2 diffuser. I connected all the equipment and no water leak, good!

But... As soon as I started the filter running I realized that half the UG (utricularia graminifolia) have not rooted properly yet, they uprooted themselves and floated to the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This picture was short lived. It only remained like this for a bit before some UG patches floated to the top.
    [​IMG]

Therefore I'm back to square one, drained water, saran wrapped and will wait longer and check periodically to make sure the UG has rooted enough before I flood the tank.
    [​IMG]

I'm disappointed that after 6.5 weeks some UG are still not rooted. Previously when I first started my tank at work I had failed UG miserably, gave up and did HC instead. Hopefully this time planting UG will be better luck!

derfliw likes this.
  11. keithgh

ashley

Could it be either the UG is a very slow grower or it requires a little boost to kick start it.

12. ashley

It's probably a really slow grower and takes a long time to root and get established. Some of the patches that did not float up are sending side runners so that's a good sign.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  13. keithgh

Ashley

Apparently its not the easiest plant to start growing but some members do not have a problem.

derfliw likes this.
  14. ashley

Do you know who are the members or you have a link to their posts? I would love to hear/see their experiences and challenges.

15. keithgh

Ashley

I "think" Roy has mastered it

ashley likes this.
  16. ashley

Okay I'll go search

keithgh likes this.
  17. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Ashley, UG is not an easy plant to grow. It taken 3 and half months to get my UG to stay put:whistle: I am growing it on stockings filled with cat litter :)
    As it does not like ferts or hard water it comes from bogs or grows along rivers in the leaf litter and shaded area.

One link
    http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/utricularia-graminifolia.11289/page-2

You maybe better of trying Glossostigma elatinoides as carpet plant

Link to my Journal Tank will be flooded this week :)

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/starting-point-the-rock.9617/#post-104145

Hope this helps

keithgh and ashley like this.
  18. ashley

Yeah.... it's a really really hard plant to grow! I'm going to give it another try and see how it goes. Some of my UG are actually sending side shoots so that's pretty promising. :)

I'm not too sure about the ferts. So far I've been fertilizing everyday mixed in my spray water for the past 6.5 weeks, they seem fine and growing. Just not rooting.

Thanks for the links and good luck on your UG too!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    greenfinger 2 likes this.
  19. keithgh

Roy thank you very much for helping Ashley with all that information plus those links.

greenfinger 2 and derfliw like this.
  20. ashley

2016.01.11 :

So after a weekend's work, flooding and then draining because half my UG have not rooted yet, I've decided to go the more aggresive way, root tonic!!

I went to a hydroponic shop near my work and got Canna Rhizotonic:

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------
    According to the canna site it is supposed to:

CANNA RHIZOTONIC made in the Netherlands is a powerful, algae based, vegetative stimulator for roots of fast-growing plants that already have roots or root initials. RHIZOTONIC stimulates further root development, increases the plant’s resistance to disease and promotes its inner and outer strength.
    RHIZOTONIC is 100% natural, and contains multiple vitamins. RHIZOTONIC influences the root environment and is the ideal supplement for the crop environment created by the grower. RHIZOTONIC has a calming effect on plants, and is ideally suited for use when shipping or re-potting plants. RHIZOTONIC will also improve plants that are unhealthy or poorly developed.

RHIZOTONIC can be used regardless of the type of medium. It is suitable for cultivation in potting soil and hydro culture. RHIZOTONIC is often sprayed on leaves and can be used as a simple means for raising the pH level in fertilizer tanks.

Root stimulant

RHIZOTONIC adds more than 60 microbiological substances that considerably speeds up the growth of a balanced root environment. Various trace elements and vitamins such as B1&B2 have been added to RHIZOTONIC in to stimulate the plant production of hormones and root growth, thus providing better and stronger roots.

Vital plants

Good results start with a healthy plant. There are many different ways of stimulating plants aside from a healthy balance of EC levels, acidity, temperature, air and light. RHIZOTONIC does so during and in the rooting and growing phase. Another important element in RHIZOTONIC is the root-strengthening hormone Oligosaccharide. Scientifi c research has shown its beneficial effect in the creation of root cells without any negative side effects. Your plants will be certain to get beautiful, strong white roots with RHIZOTONIC.

Benefits of CANNA Rhizotonic

Aids in the immediate generation of lush, new root growth on cuttings and transplants.
    When used as a seed soak prior to planting, it will speed up the germination process.
    Enhances overall plant growth and chemical reactions in the plant to ensure a healthier, powerful and stronger plant.
    Aids in the recovery process of any plant or cutting that has been subjected to stress in any way whatsoever.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I hope it works! I need the UG to root properly, and grow into a tank like this:

Oh and my CO2 reactor arrived finally, though since my aquarium is nowhere near flooding time because of the UG, I'm going to give the CO2 to my friend first, we ordered on ebay together, this is the first one that arrived so I'm expecting another of the same. Product of Taiwan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

greenfinger 2 and derfliw like this.