1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My unofficial ADA 120 DoAqua Glass Cascade Journal

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by WabiKasuH20Fall, May 11, 2012.

1. WabiKasuH20Fall

WabiKasuH20Fall Aspiring Aquascaper

Some wabikusa will certainly be up there also some kokodama along with some more orchids, some Hawaiian Ginger and some other various selections. Considering leaving the middle third of the steps some what sparse as to allow light to pass through and also to preserve the view of the upper terrace where I planted the Elatine Hydropiper aka mini glosso. I am holding off putting too much up there also until the water starts flowing I don't want anything to dry out.

From the mud grows a Lotus~
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Sponsored link:

2. WabiKasuH20Fall

Update Day 26 of Dry Start.

Things are coming along quite well, the Mini Pellia pieces I had chopped up and tossed on have all attached themselves well to the Akadama substrate, and is well on its way to a nice foreground carpet for the center foreground area.

I was finally able to pick up two pots of Hemianthus Callitrichoides or HC for the upper terrace/ plateau opposite the Elatine Hydropiper up there. I divided the two pots evenly and pre dug out some holes for the patches to go in. I did not plant these stem by stem, or even 3 stem by 3 stem. I think they will take ok because they are also planted on an emersed slope and will be creeping from an submersed state to the elevated emersed plateau.

I put in only a few of the orchids I collected out in Hawaii and the ones that are in there seem to be adapting well also as I notice nice new root growth of the exposed root system of these epiphytic orchids.
    [​IMG]

The Mini Minuta is doing ok just kinda slow and steady that plant, as expected. Again that one is planted on the right and left ends of the scape and runs from back to front. I might toss in two more pots right before I flood just to boost its carper rate a little we shall see though. Maybe it will be more fun to be patient and wait for what’s in there to fill in?

Ok so I am a little excited because Iast week I was able to secure my primary Fauna for this tank in the way of fish. I got a smokin hot deal on 20 Celestial Pearl Danios they are due for arrival this by end of this week of First thing next week. I have a seasoned and waiting 25 Gal. long that they will go in until the new tank is ready for them. I have always wanted a nice large school of this fish but they are so pricey I could never afford any sizable school at once.

(Not my image)
    [​IMG]
    I have done quite a bit of research on these fish and their unique natural habitat and and coincidentally my tank actually has a lot of features similar to their home environment and ecosystem. I didn’t plan it this way it just seems it turned out well suited to their liking, or I hope based on my research. Also with the layout the way I have these timid fish will be forced to the viewing areas in the front and the tank and run back and forth along the foreground as the background is elevated for the middle half and there is no where else for them to retreat to but some limited caves tunnels and alcoves.

Along with the CPD’s I have also secured at least 6 Amanos and most likely another half dozen coming right behind those for the cleaning crew once the Algae starts blooming and the diatom cycle gets underway. In addition to combat that I think I will have almost a half dozen Otocinclus on hand and ready to toss in and got to work. That initial crew the Amanos and the Otocinclus and bi weekly 50% water changes for the first week to 10 days should combat most of the remaining algae issue of course only after the initial 10 days of heavy 4-5 bps CO2 dosing to aid in the emersed submersed transition post flood.

Here are the latest FTS’s :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

The HC I just planted on the Right slope:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10 more days till flood...

phaptran likes this.
  3. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Once she's all grown out it's going to look really something else!

4. s thomas

s thomas New Member

This is awesome. Looking forward to watching it develop

5. WabiKasuH20Fall

@ s thomas
    Thanks it's been a fun ride every step of the way.

Right now I am just going a little stir crazy waiting another few weeks for things to really take hold prior to flood. I have been fighting a little scrimmage with some mold in some of the shady under sides and darker area's of the scape as there is quite a few overhangs and a alcoves that I have noticed mold and such trying to crop up. I take pretty swift action and scrape the brunt of it off with a tooth brush or metal scraper. The rest of my Hawaiian plants I brought back from there are still out on the fire escape and I need to bring them in and get them in this tank they are starting to show signs of stress out there. The few that I did bring in and put in the scape are showing signs of growth! I know what I need to do, get them in and on the staircases. Today is the 14th, by next Friday she will be flowing and all the plants will be placed strategically on the cascade and we can let the flourish commence!

6. WabiKasuH20Fall

Come Hell or high water...

We are still on schedule for a flood this Friday. Things are looking goooood in the tank 8) the mosses are all growing well and the HC that I just planted on the upper terrace has really taken well and is growing at a rapid pace emersed. Think I may go pick up two more pots of it and just plant about 2/3's of the remaining area with it since it seems to be doing so well up there emersed.

Going to pick up the Hydor 200w Inline this week and I have decided also to go with the Odyssea CFS700 w/ UV for my filtration option. Will be purchasing that too all in preparation for the flood; as they are kinda of essential for the job :lol:

Got word this morning my CPD's are in transit as well from LA this morning all 20+ of them, happy little campers. They have a quarantine and holding tank ready for them, my 25Gal. Long Plexi I cleaned out for them, so they have a pleasant arrival waiting for them. They'll stay their about a month until I cycle this tank and its ready for fishy inhabitants.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the way the DSM went and how things are looking for flood day. My Hawaiian plants on stand by in the bus tub on the fire escape are antsy and showing signs of stress waiting for their final destination to be ready for them. I feel bad for them :oops: as I monitor there health and know so far the stress they are showing is only on the immediate foliage and nothing more permanent. Hold on another four days and they'll be much happier on the steps of the water fall.

some close ups
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mini fiss
    [​IMG]

ps. I have a Name for this tank finally also, it will be revealed on flood day. Stay Tuned.

7. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

hopefully high water :) can't wait to see this flooded. A video of the waterfall in action would be great!

8. WabiKasuH20Fall

I will definitely have some video footage of the flood and the falls in action. The only hold up is my learning curve on how to post a video in my thread... I will post a link to a youtube if I cant figure how to embed the video with in the thread.

9. WabiKasuH20Fall

2 days away from flood day

As expected the CPD's arrived this morning and are in the bags floating now in the quarantine tank. They look good I only had one causality out of 20 so that is pretty good I guess for those delicate little guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was telling a friend, it's like I am on the last mile of a Marathon, so ready for water already I just want to drown the thing.

10. WabiKasuH20Fall

Tomorrow is flood day, tonight I planted two more pots of HC up top with the others and also two more pots of Mini Marsilea along the right and left sides running foreground to background and also plopped some substrate and HC in one nice feature spot. If it takes it will be a nice little perch indeed. Stay tuned tomorrow evenings post should have some great updates.

11. WabiKasuH20Fall

6.22.12 / 6.23.12

"GHOST TREES 1.0"
    Flooded n flowin

Ok so my computer wanted to act up tonight when it came time to update the journal so this one is going to be short and sweet. As they say a picture speaks a thousand words so a few pics should suffice for now. I will give a better update in the morning. Was a long day the flood and all so it consumed me for about 13 hours which included going to South San Francisco to Aqua Traders to pick up the CFS700 canister filter I went with and an hour at Lowes figuring out plumbing schematics. Finally all it flooded.

With out further a due I present to the World

GHOST TREES 1.0

[​IMG]

Filling up
    [​IMG]

Filled
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to fill the beast CFS700 and get things flowing :mrgreen:
    [​IMG]

GHOST TREES in all its flowing glory...
    8)
    [​IMG]

12. WabiKasuH20Fall

I just woke up and now I just sit and stare:eek: as I sip my espresso.

[​IMG]

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever"
    John Keats

13. WabiKasuH20Fall

CO2 is cranking now 3-5 bps and will stay that way for the next 10 days 24/7 to counter balance the melt and assist in the plants transition from and emersed state to the submerged state.

Here is a link to the Video of it in the works!

Some high res shots for you all:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The back upper terrace;
    [​IMG]

Parting shot :mrgreen: :
    [​IMG]

guyderam likes this.
  14. Garuf

Mmm. Boy oh boy is that looking nice. Good luck with it all!

15. stevo

stevo Aspiring Aquascaper

Getting better and better, good job! (y) However it needs a proper lighting system... :p

16. WabiKasuH20Fall

Yeah for the sake of pictures if sure does, however with the way the cascade is situated and the layout getting the right amount of light to the darker shadier areas is going to be a little tricky, I already got one more light strip I am going to see if it makes a difference. I don't think any one fixture will provide me what I need to get the light where it needs to be with all the overhangs and alcoves. This tank will even with prime lighting have some darker areas I just don't see any way around it.

From the mud grows a Lotus~
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

17. Garuf

Led spot lights like reefers use?

18. WabiKasuH20Fall

Some new update shots. Things are looking good over all. I purchased a very cheap little 18 inch LED h2o proof light strip that I placed on the left front side as that is the darkest spot in my tank right now. Just a temp kinda of think until I can figure out the optimum light set up for my Ghost:cool:

Saturday morning, the morning after the flood.
    [​IMG]

Sunday, day 2. I put in the LED strip up front. Not my ideal choice or long term route just to suffice for now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A shot of the lower glass tier with my Hawaiian Bacopa species I collected over there this past April. Looking healthy and warming up to its new digs.
    [​IMG]

My lil Drosera Sundew carniverous plant, making its transition to the cascade :cool:
    [​IMG]

In the back ground my Asparagus fern Kokodama, along with the Dwarf Palm on the top tier opposite it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some HC that floated away when I flooded the lower section.

A close up of one of my mosses getting settled in:
    [​IMG]

This was ID as a "Cane Orchid" no further ID specifics.
    [​IMG]

Since I have kept this a pretty detailed build thread all the way along I also wanted to share a few detail shots of the plumbing of the beast of a canister filter. The Odyssea CFS700, so it's outflow ID is a whopping 1"! The inflow lily pipes for the my DoAqua tank were 12mm or 1/5" so I was faced with trying to make a reducer of %50 flow diameter. I spent over an hour at Lowes toying with plumbing combinations until I came up with this 3 piece assembly in which I used the black plastic threaded 1" - 1/2" reduced from the Lawn sprinkler pipe fittings and components. It was a mind straining exercise I could only compare to childhood Lego experiences when I would completely deplete my collection of one specific peice and I would have to get creative to recreate that piece out of several other pieces. Aye yi yi o_O

Really its not much but it was what I needed to achieve the proper reduction, I reinforced all the threading coupling with Thread Tape and joint the slip/slip pvc fittings with pvc primer and cement and also reinforced the large bore couplings with pipe clamps for added piece of mind.

Here area the pieces both individual and assembled:
    [​IMG]

In action:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    No glue or Silicone used though as I could easily disassemble this whole thing piece by piece with a screw driver and strong grip for easy cleaning of the parts or splicing in modifications and additional pre and post filters and or reactors.

Well that's all the news that's fit to print right now. :D

19. WabiKasuH20Fall

Had some good light through the bay window this evening took advantage of the light and took some shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the first signs of the algea phase is starting to be visible. I hope it wont be too bad. Five more days and I will be tossing in about a dozen Amanos and they will be put to work.

20. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

wow the tank really came out nicely. Super jelly. Wish I had such a cool set up. good work.