1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My Tank setup

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by deanc8159, Dec 3, 2013.

1. deanc8159

deanc8159 Aspiring Aquascaper

Another quick update, things are looking pretty positive.

The rice fish are swimming around now instead of staying in one place like before.

The airstones are growing on me although the pump is a little noisy :p

I'll do another water test tomorrow to see if anything has improved.

Thanks again for all the help :)

[​IMG]

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

deanc

Only too pleased to help you.

It looks like it could have been several concerns that caused all your problems.

I would move the airstone into the centre of the tank, do at least a 30% weekly water change and if possible two 30% per week and you will be surprised at the difference it will make to the plants and fish

If the pump is noisy sit it on a piece of carpet or something like that to deaden the noise.

Keith:):)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  3. deanc8159

It's really appreciated :)

Yeh hopefully the all iron out.

I have an air stone in the middle and one in the front. I left the long one at the front as it doesn't make as small bubbles so the filter blows them at the front.

I've already done that for the filter, it's still a little noisy :p

4. keithgh

5. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Bit confused by the last couple of pages :)

Did you test nitrates and get a high reading? Can't follow where the nitrate concern came in.

I also see that the problems started after adding Otos. Could it not be something that came in with them?

Not sure why the airstones would help r.e. the oxygen where the old filter spray bar rippling the surface wouldn't be doing more? In my mind it could be more a case of the water changes have sorted the problem rather than the airstones.

Tanks looking nice and clear BTW

6. deanc8159

Basically added ottos and plants a few fish died so I tested water, had high nitrates.

I read that adding more oxygen helps the fish when there's too much nitrates so although it didn't lower nitrates i think it just stopped them getting stressed.

Ive tested again today and it's down to around 5mg/l so another water change should fix that.

Thanks I like to be able to see my fish :p

I've also done some more trimming etc, tied a bunch of moss to one of the old rocks, trimmed the tall sag down, split a shoot off of one of the crypts and split the Java fern, also have my brother coming tomorrow so we can plan building the new lighting (I'll make another thread for a build log when I get round to it)

7. keithgh

deanc

Keep up the water changes at least two 30-40% per week.

Have you got a full water report from your water supplier yet?

8. deanc8159

Merry Christmas everyone. I'll keep the water changes up.

Not yet I'm not sure how? I'll contact the water company after Christmas.

Also just a clue the water is getting on track
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Found some eggs, let's see if anything comes of them :)

Thanks

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  9. keithgh

deanc

That is very good news, you will learn a lot about your fish and tank if you check it every day at feeding time.

10. deanc8159

Feeding time? I always watch them in the mornings aswell as feeding time, there's always something new going on, at the moment the Cabomba fascinates me, In the mornings the top few parts are all closed up, throughout the day they open, seeing the eggs was a nice confidence boost :) and simple things like seeing new leaves on the crypts excites me haha. Today I've noticed the snails seem to love the slime forming on my airline,

[​IMG]

I also enjoy watching the snails graze (I took a cool photo earlier)

[​IMG]

Thanks again for the advice etc. Never stop learning new things

11. keithgh

deanc

New leaves on the Crypts that is excellent news.

The other two senses that are also very important "smell" you will quickly learn what you tank smells like and if its not what it should be, start looking, "touch" best thermometer of all its a check on your heater or weather conditions especially during the hot seasons.

12. Supercoley1

Still not sure I follow. 5mg/L is pretty low to me but then I add loads for loads of plants. lol. What was the reading before? I don't think even 40ppm would be causing the fish problems. Much more likely something other than nitrates if the fish were having problems, like ammonia. Maybe the substrate disturbance from moving things around etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about nitrates and definitely not 5ppm. A heavily planted tank high light would consume that in 2 days :)

adding more oxygen helps all fish. Not sure it has anything to do with nitrates. the nitrates are still there. If the nitrates were causing a problem before the O they still would now.

keithgh likes this.
  13. keithgh

deanc
    You did say you had been moving plants and it was suggested your spray bar "could" also be moving the substrate.

Have you checked the spray bar?

14. deanc8159

Well the nitrates are almost gone now, the spraybar was adjusted so the flow ran across the surface instead of disturbing the substrate.

I checked today and one of my ottos has swollen eyes

[​IMG]

Hard to see as its at the back of the tank. But could it be pop-eye? None of the other fish have it

Thanks

15. keithgh

Deanc

It could be Pop Eye
    Bad water quality is a common reason enough to be the cause. High nitrAtes/nitrItes, ammonia.

Doing a bit of research there is plenty of information to be found.

Pop-Eye Treatment
    The affected fish should be immediately taken out to be separately treated. It is difficult to specify a specific treatment unless the main cause is definitely known. Large daily water changes should help, if not Epsom salts has been used with good results to draw the fluid out. One tablespoon per 5 gallons of water for at least three days, longer if necessary. Epsom salts isn't really salt (sodium chloride) it is Magnesium Sulfate. If water quality is the problem, a 50 percent water change must be made as soon as possible.

Antibiotics and antibacterials similar to those used to treat fin rot are useful in preventing damage to the cornea from turning into full-blown pop eye. But once Pop eye develops, different medications will be required. Use antibiotics formulated for use against internal and systemic infections, preferably administered in food rather than added to the water.

It comes back to the old "Prevention is better than cure"

16. deanc8159

So I did a bit of research and read your last comment, I decided against any kind of salts purely because of the plants/snails etc.

I went to LFS today and got some anti internal bacteria medication Aswell as dosing with a bit of anti fungus treatment (they can be used together)
    I decided against food based medicines because if it can't see it ain't gonna eat.. And it only ever eats the algae.

Also done a 50% water change and I'll try keep ontop of those this week. I have to medicate again in 4 days,

I'll keep you all up to date

Thanks again :)

[​IMG]

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  17. keithgh

deanc

Check with the LFS if the Medications you have effect your filter.

You might also have to use Carbon for 3-4 days after the treatment.

18. deanc8159

It says harmless to filter and all fish on the box, however ive read the box more and it says 'do not use with Mormyrids (elephant nose fish)' are ottos Mormyrids? As since adding the medication they haven't moved I thought they were dead this morning but the gills are still moving.

Is there anything more I can do?

Thanks

keithgh likes this.
  19. keithgh

My only other suggestion is turn the lights off (this should help to reduce any stress) and keep up the water changes.

This might also help reduce the feeding by 50% and every second day it will not harm any of your healthy fish.

This will also help in reducing any waste in the tank.

20. Supercoley1

Some catfish like Corys can be pretty sensitive to medications. Otos may well fall into that category. I would make sure that the water surface is rippling away to keep O levels up because some meds can consume oxygen as well. I know Formalin used to. I wouldn't feed while you are doing it like Keith says. You can leave fish unfed for a couple of weeks with no problems.

keithgh likes this.