1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My Tank setup

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by deanc8159, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Glomeridae

Glomeridae Active Aquascaper

Nice tank! =)

keithgh likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Deanc, The java fern you should move it and tie to the DW where it will grow :)

keithgh likes this.
  3. deanc8159

deanc8159 Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks guys. Any other suggestions? What could I tie the java fern with, cotton?
    Also I'm having an issue with plants uprooting, I'm not sure if it's the 2 rosy barbs nibbling and pulling them up or the snails digging? Any ideas how to prevent this?
    Thanks

keithgh likes this.
  4. greenfinger 2

Hi Deanc, Cotton is ok But fine fishing line is better as it does not rot .The hair grass is not rooting well into the sand so pulls out very easy:( Try mixing some gravel around the plants to give them something to root into & add some root tabs at the same time :)

keithgh likes this.
  5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

The grass may grow alright out of the sand, but the root tabs are a very good idea. You should also break up those large bunches into smaller groups. Each bunch could give you four or so smaller groups.

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  6. deanc8159

Thanks for the help guys. I'll tackle it later today as more and more are floating to the top, I already have a few root tabs in. And have used a liquid micro fert too, so my plan will be tie java fern to the bogwood (with whatever I can find) then thin out all the grasses, any particulate method you use to push plants into substrate without damaging roots?
    Thank

keithgh likes this.
  7. greenfinger 2

Hi Deanc, I use tweezers ;)

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  8. deanc8159

Thanks, wouldn't tweezers damage the plant though?

keithgh likes this.
  9. greenfinger 2

Hi Deanc, No:) Just be careful don't grip the plants to tight. Just enough to get the plants into the substrate (y)

keithgh likes this.
  10. deanc8159

Thanks I'll give it ago tomorrow, I bought a few guppies today, to find my barbs liked the look of thier fins as much as I do, during the hunt to catch the 2 troublesome barbs I uprooted lots of plants (their hiding spaces worked) finally caught them and have in a breeding net overnight so I can take to fish shop tomorrow, I've been thinking about adding a hard scape for a bit more diversity in levels, was thinking a couple of nice big rough rocks. What sort would be recommended and where could I get some reasonably cheep? (I want them to match my sand colour as close as possible, I'll them lean the bogwood around the stone structure and try grow plants into any cracks,
    Any input would be very appreciated

keithgh likes this.
  11. deanc8159

So I got some granite rocks yesterday, they have been boiled twice and left soaking overnight, anything else I can/should do before adding?
    Thanks

keithgh likes this.
  12. greenfinger 2

Hi Deanc, A good wash would have done :) You can add the granite it will be safe now :D
    Looking forward to seeing a pic :whistle::)

keithgh likes this.
  13. deanc8159

Thanks for the fast reply :)
    Had a sort out (took a few dead plants out and put the granite in (but hard to see so far )
    I'll take another pic when water is less cloudy

[​IMG]

keithgh likes this.
  14. deanc8159

15. deanc8159

I've seen him grazing on the rock I have so assumed he grazes and was told by lfs to get the wafers, I think the goby I have is different to that article.

keithgh likes this.
  16. deanc8159

>>>>>UPDATE<<<<<

So all the plants have started to die, I resorted back to moss balls whilst researching an alternative (they will be gone soon)
    Since my last post all fish have been rehoned apart from the goby that unfortunately died. Leading me to do research and plan better.

After looking at aquascapes online I wanted to focus more on a nice shaped substrate. I bought gravel to bulk out my sand to make a hill. But ended up burying 4 granite rocks
    [​IMG]
    I'm waiting for the water to clear so I can start to attatch Java moss tomorrow. I also have mesh with some nano moss on and some dwarf water lettuce in its way too.

For stocking I've been looking into shrimp and found some nearby cheep. Aswell as a few Oryzias sp. (rice fish)

Suggestions?,

Thenks

keithgh likes this.
  17. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

deanc.

If you decide to have Shrimp your tank should have plenty of very healthy plants and be prepared to do two 30% water changes a week they love clean fresh water all the time.

As a beginner with Shrimp I suggest starting with the cheap Red Cherry Shrimp, they are easy to look after and breed easily providing the conditions are right for them.

There are not many fish that are comparable with Shrimp Cardinal Tetras are an excellent choice.
    http://www.theshrimpfarm.com

This is a good place to start.

Keith:):)

18. deanc8159

Hey
    Thanks for the advice, I have a big portion of Java moss that I'm planning to put in tomorrow on the rocks and bogwood, would you recommend anything to make a carpet? I'm swaying more towards mosses as I never have any luck with normal plants in the substrate even with root tabs,

The shrimp I've found are red cherry shrimps. I found someone locally that has breed lots in a 6ft tank so he's looking to sell a few. Also I've seen mineral stone, is that essential?

The rice fish I've seen look very peaceful and have tiny mouths so I assumed they would be fine too?

Thanks again

keithgh likes this.
  19. deanc8159

[​IMG]

The dust has settled

20. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

deanc I have done a bit of research on using mineral stone and its one of those "research a lot" and check where the information is coming from as the WWW is just full of false information.

I am breeding several species of Shrimp with out difficulty and have a low tech heavily planted tank.

If you can grow non rooted plants and not rooted plants it looks like you have a substrate problem.

Tell us "every thing:" about that substrate, and the plants you have tried.

One of the first lessons about Aquariums is Never Assume any thing and be careful of any information you read on the www or hear at some LFS.

Keith:):)

ShadowMac likes this.