1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My Tank is Borked!

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by WileyOompa, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

three timers is more than enough, try to get reliable ones. But before rushing out to get stuff take a moment................

Maintaining a high tech tank is high maintenance with weekly with 50% WCs, so lots of work plus the expense.
    Low tech is lower maintenance so may be a good choice for you or a hybrid tank with bit of both.
    Choosing the right route will help keep you tank healthy which I think you should decided on level of commitment you can make then go down that route before buying anything you might not need.
    If you choose low tech or even Hybrid I bet you would have enough hardware already, so clean it up a bit add ferts and read Tims thread, then you be be in a better position to know what you want too do. Until then buying stuff is as effective and chewing gum to help fix your tank.
    But your choices are yours alone and choose what your happy with and we will respect your choices

So which route ? without knowing that the advise could be wrong

keithgh likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

WileyOompa

That is something every aquarium owner would like to know.
    The least amount of work is Low Tech and do not push the tank along always keep under what it's safe capacity is.
    The minimum basics are to have a healthy tank are very simple to follow.
    I am talking from setting up a new tank.
    2 X 30-40% water changes then add Stability at the standard rate.
    Only feed as required as over feeding can be the start of big problems.
    At feeding time every morning, look at your tank and check every thing, test the water temp (a finger test is quick and easy), smell the water you will learn very quickly what is should smell like. All that can be done in a matter of seconds before feeding.
    Once a month do a full filter cleaning and replace any medium if required. Add stability directly into the filter at double strength.
    Lighting have a good 24hr timer.

These are just the very basics seeing you have plants they will also require feeding, I used liquid ferts every morning and weekly, the rooted plants I used fert tabs.

With you Anubia did you have it attached to a piece of DW if not it should be.

As I said this is just the very basic minimum you must do to have a healthy Low Tech Aquarium tank.

Keith:cat::cat:

Tim Harrison likes this.
  3. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

Like Keith says you could go entirely low-energy or you could go somewhere in between low-energy and high-energy.
    George Farmers Slow Burner is a good example of the latter, that way you get healthy growth but relatively low maintenance https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/na-65cm-slow-burner.37285/
    But either way, like Keith also mentions, nothing will work unless you do the basics well.

keithgh likes this.
  4. keithgh

WileyOompa

Tim has given you a link to an excellent video.

Its up to you now which way you intend to go no matter which way you choose it must have all the correct regular time consuming maintenance even if only a few minutes daily and more time at water changes and filter cleaning.

Tim Harrison likes this.
  5. WileyOompa

WileyOompa New Member

So I have been thinking about this for the last week. I am thinking of re-doing the entire thing. I now need advice on what I should do / not do.

I would like to go with more large rocks, hardscaping and simple plants. I think the lower-tech approach is going to befit my time constraints better.

My ultimate goal is to setup a tank that is interesting, relatively easy to maintain and will allow me to have shrimp, snails and mostly schooling fish.

Now if I tear this thing down, I suspect I need to redo my substrate, I may replace my driftwood with something a little less bulky if I am going to add rocks and mound my landscape up.

I am looking for any and all suggestions and instructions. One of my big questions is do I need to rehome all my fish and start over? I assume I may have a cycle time on this tank again if I start everything over?? This is where advice is needed since I have a pretty nice selection of healthy fish that I really would like to keep if I can so how do I go about that? Cost constraints are not all that much of a concern, I dont want to get ridiculous but if I had to get another tank as a holding tank for a few weeks I can do that.

BTW, I am open to ditching the CO2, adding powerheads, etc... I would prefer to keep everything I have but I am willing to make changes for the better.

Anyway, where do I start?

Thanx,

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  6. keithgh

Wiley

As long as you can get a good water container, connect your filter and light add all your inhabitants and hard scape every thing will be OK.

Make up a Mock tank using a cardboard box will do.
    Seeing you are using cardboard to make the Mock Tank you will have to use sand or even naturally Kitty Litter.
    Hunt the WWW for inspiration of what you would like to do with what you have or can get/buy.
    Post a photo of all the hardscape you have.

Once you have done all that you will be ready to start on your Mock Tank.