1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My New Venture into Iwagumi!

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by teij_tseng, Apr 13, 2010.

1. teij_tseng

teij_tseng New Member

After marvelling over the works of Takashi Amano and many others on the internet, I've start my own planted tank. This is my first planted tank and for the venture, I've decided to try the iwagumi layout. I've always admired planted tanks but the iwagumi layout has been most captivating for me.

I'm on a student budget so I'm trying to make as nice of a looking tank as possible without breaking my wallet. As such, you can probably expect the photos to be taken with a camera phone . Now, a list of my tank components:

Tank: 20 gallon long (30"x12"x12")

Lighting: 1 AquaMedic 24w T5 Plant Grow, 1 Current USA 24w 10,000k T5, 1 20w Hagen Aqua Glo; approximately 3.4wpg total

Substrate: 100% Flourite Black Sand

CO2: DIY CO2 Injection

Fertilizer: API Leaf Zone once every 2 weeks (looking into getting ADA fertilizer once I can afford to spend a little more )

[​IMG]
    The plan for the layout of the rocks. The white stuff on the bottom of the tank is styrofoam.

[​IMG]
    Added the substrate and mounded it best as I could.

Any input/critique is appreciated so give me your best shot ! Also, I'm planning on putting dwarf hairgrass around the rocks and HC in the middle and along the front, basically where there's more open areas. As far as fish goes, I'll prob be going with a shoal of rasbora heteromorpha and perhaps some crystal red shrimps or amano shrimps.

Sponsored link:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

hi,
    do you still have the styrofoam under the black gravel?

high light and co2 injection requires more frequent fert dosings.
    ADA ferts are very expansive, have a look at "Pfertz" link

something I would always use from ADA brand, is the Aquasoil Amazonia, this is a great benefit , specialy for carpeting plants like hairdgrass and hc or glosso and it is the money worth!

3. teij_tseng

teij_tseng New Member

I still have the styrofoam in bottom. Is it gonna effect the water or degrade overtime? I guess I was watching a movie on youtube of a guy using that method and thought it was nifty in distributing the pressure on the bottom glass.

4. repanas6

repanas6 New Member

It seems to have good potential !!!

If i were you, i would prefer cpds instead..

But anyway Keep Scaping!!!!!

5. teij_tseng

teij_tseng New Member

Thanks! This might be a noob question, but what's cpds? lol

6. repanas6

repanas6 New Member

celestial pearl danios!!

or galaxy rasboras

They also tend to be named with another name so...

But if you use the first name while searching in a fish-database i am sure you wil find them!

7. teij_tseng

teij_tseng New Member

Oh those little guys! lol can't believe I couldn't think of that stood for. I love those guys too but there are no source around here that I'd be able to get them from and being on a student budget, getting a shoal of them shipped just seems out of my reach at the time. Would love to have them sometime, perhaps once I get done with school and there are no more school fees to pay for X-(

8. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

looks good! where did you get your stones? what plants are you planning on using?

9. teij_tseng

teij_tseng New Member

Thanks. The stones were picked up outside my house so I'm not too sure what kinda stones they are. As far as plants go, I'll probably just be using dwarf hairgrass around the rocks and probably HC in the more open areas of the tank

10. teij_tseng

teij_tseng New Member

Plants finally came in and I've planted the tank and filled it up with water. While putting in my DIY filter, the hose barb on the filter intake came off so I still waiting for the glue to dry on that atm :frusty:. In the meantime, I have my old school Marineland Penguin 170 on it.

[​IMG]

11. Jurijs mit JS

looking a bit naked, hope the hairgrass will fill in quickly ;)

12. teij_tseng

teij_tseng New Member

Lol I hope so too. Unfortunately, my little student wallet couldn't fit enough cash to buy more dwarf hairgrass (truth be told I wouldn't even be able to find enough cash to fit into it :Blah:) but hopefully it fills in quickly.

Well, figure you guys mite want to see some close ups so here they are!

[​IMG]
    Left side of the aquarium.

[​IMG]
    Right side of the aquarium.

13. Xavier

Xavier ASW Sponsor

Don't worry - once hairgrass gets going it grows virally, you'll be knee deep in the stuff sooner or later.

14. teij_tseng

teij_tseng New Member

Lol yeah, that's what I've been reading too. I've actually added 2 more pots of dwarf hairgrass and so hopefully it'll fill in more quickly (will be updating once it starts filling in). I'm also considering planting some blyxa japonicas around the rocks. What do you guys think about that? Or would something else be more suitable?

15. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Dear Teij,

It is indeed a good start with the small budget you have, you have innovated and done something that you think would grow into something that you will like. I say "Bravo" to that. Putting Blyxa Japonicas around the rock might be a good idea. I don't know. There are many artist here who can comment on your idea. You may find different comments from different artist, don't be discouraged. To each its own. Try it and if it no good, wet your hands again.^:)^

16. teij_tseng

teij_tseng New Member

Thank you very much for the comment. The only good thing about being on a tight student budget is one is forced to be innovative (lol). Hopefully the setup does not backfire on me and works out in the long run.

Just some minor updats on the tank. I've changed the intake of the filter so instead of having a normal intake, I've made a spraybar style intake that's pointed upward to create a vortex and hopefully catch some of the floating junk on the surface of the water.

[​IMG]
    Picture's not the best of quality but you can kind of see the vortex.

[​IMG]
    Just an updated picture of the tank with the 2 additional pots of dwarf hairgrass.

Once again, I apologize for the poor picture quality. Unfortunately camera phones don't have the best cameras :Blah:

17. Jurijs mit JS

my iphone 3gs is producing some nice quick snapshots, but oc you are right, no good quality in comparison to a digital camera

18. teij_tseng

teij_tseng New Member

Well, I've been a little busy so I haven't been able to update the journal recently. Every professor in college gets together and decides on the day to give all their students and exam or something :frusty:.

The dwarf hairgrass has filled in nicely in the middle of the tank but growth has been rather slow on the side. Other than that, I've been having quite a bit of algae growth (kind of expected that) but I've been able to somewhat keep it in control by scrubbing the rocks and sides. Anyways, enjoy the pictures!

[​IMG]
    FTS

[​IMG]
    Right side

[​IMG]
    Left side

I might be adding some cryptocoryne undulata around the rocks and probably some vallisneria plants in the back (thinking of going with vallisneria nana if I can find some at a pet shop). The hairgrass is kind of tall but I'll probably be trimming it soon. Hopefully with school coming to an end, I'll be able to update more frequently (I do a lot of fishing over the summer so don't expect it to be too frequently! :D)

19. teij_tseng

teij_tseng New Member

Finally gave the tank its first trim today. After trimming the hairgrass, I've learn two very important lessons:
    1. Never become a barber or a hedge sculpture because either hairgrass grows at a super, amazingly fast rate or I missed some spots.
    2. If you think to yourself "Hm, that wasn't a lot of trimmings to remove from the tank" when you get done cleaning the trimmings, check the underside of your arm, there's a good chance there are more.

Anyways, here are a couple of photos for you guys to enjoy!

[​IMG]
    Before

[​IMG]
    After

20. Jurijs mit JS

looking much better now :)