1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My new 125 gal project

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by tinkerman, Mar 1, 2008.

1. tinkerman

tinkerman New Member

This is my new 125 gal pics please feel free to make any suggestions on plant placement or anything else. I don't find myself to be a great scaper so opinions will greatly help. This tank has 4x 96 watt pc's for light, EI dosing, pressurized co2/ venturi reactor (300 gph pump running it), rena xp4, 400 watts of heaters. These pics were taken 2 weeks after set-up.

Attached Files:

Sponsored link:

2. Jervis

Jervis New Member

A very large tank you got there! I personally find the rock a little lonely right now... perhaps add a few smaller rocks (of the same kind) towards the foreground :)

3. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

I would also add a few other rocks. Good start though.

4. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

What plants do you have in there?

5. kakkoii

kakkoii New Member

looks a little premature, It should look vary nice and natural soon!

6. tinkerman

tinkerman New Member

Here is a plant list.
    Rotala Wallichii, Ludwigia Repens, Hygrophila Polysperma 'Sunset', Hygrophila Polysperma (Rosy Hygro), Hygrophila Difformis, Egeria Densa, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Ammannia Senegalensis, Hemianthus micranthemoides, Cabomba carolina, Glossostigma elatinoides, Limnophila hippuroides, Ludwigia palustris, Bacopa Monnieri, Myrio pinnatum, Myriophyllum heterophyllum, Potamogeton gayi, Rotala macrandra, Cryptocoryne ciliata, Monosolenium Tenerum,
    Sagittaria subulata, Echinodorus bleheri, Echinodorus cordifolius.

For fish I have 2x odesa barbs, 2x emerald rainbows, 1x neon dwarf rainbow, 4x black phantom tetra's, 1x oto, 1x cae, 1x sae, 1x german blue ram, 2x bloodfin tetra, some glass shrimp and ammano shrimp.

Yes I know this is premature but I figure if I have to move anything now would be best than later and disrupt everything. I bought 2 more rocks for the left side ( I think thats where I'll put them) on thursday haven't had time to put them in yet. There are some red wentii in the front that I'm not sure if they should be placed there and not sure if you can even see them in the pics.

7. trenac

trenac New Member

Nice start... "These pics were taken 2 weeks after set-up" , How long has the tank been setup as of now?

Try standing the driftwood up & moving it to the left side. It laying flat down doesn't look appealing (for lack of a better word) to me.

8. tinkerman

tinkerman New Member

Well today did a water change and moved some stuff around and added the 2 rocks that had been sitting in my living room for a couple days. The changes I made were I moved the drift wood to the left side standing up, added the 2 rocks on the left side, then repanted the left side and thinned out the glosso so it might fill in the bigger foreground area that had been created. I think I'll give this a week or two to grow and let the tank finish cycling as last night I added a uv light to get rid of the green water that had started, tank is pretty clear this morning. The tank has been up and running for about 3-3 1/2 weeks now so hopefully its almost done cycling as I am eger to add a few more fish and shrimp.

9. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

Nice start tinkerman, you have a nice assortment of plants growing in that tank. Is there any particular style you are shooting for in this tank? I was thinking maybe you were going to try a Dutch style type scape. What kind of substrate are you using for the setup?

10. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Great start to your tank. The rock did look out of place. I wonder what it looks like now with the additional rocks you placed in there. You have a wide variety of plants that will look fantastic once they fill up the background a little more. To me you have a good stock amount of plants where you shouldn't have to worry about cycling your tank. The plants will consume the excess nutrients from fish waste, and have a ton of bacteria on them already. What fish are you planning to get? Discus for a large tank, or smaller groups of schooling fish?

Oh, I suggest placing a background behind the aquarium, and hiding your heater and other equipment from view. A dark background will help create some equipment camouflage.

All in all, lovely tank even in the early stages.

-John N.

11. tinkerman

tinkerman New Member

Substrate is all purpose sand with flourish root tabs. I took everything out of my old 29 gal had some problems with modifing my filter to fit this tank and lost the bacteria today tested the tan amonia was0.25, nitrite 0.50, and nitrate was about 30. Been doing water changes at 50% every 3 days. I would like to up my school of emerald rainbows, couple more dwarf neon rainbows, otherwise I've thought about some roselines,sepra tetra, emperor tetra. I don't think I have a style of aquascaping yet just kinda put stuff where ever and keep changing till it looks good. The pet stores I have around hear aren't very good as it toke me about 6 mos to surpass most of the lfs peopletill they start asking me questions. So I just order stuff online and grow it and sell to the lfs, this maintained my 29 gal for a yr and half filter media, fish,food,ect. I hadn't given discus much thought, I do like them come in a lot of colors. I've thought about a couple angels though as my mom keep these when I was younger.

12. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Update?

13. tinkerman

tinkerman New Member

Yes pat I will update. I am dealing with an ick problem right now( my own fault didn't use hospital tank before adding fish:mad:). Plants sat in a bucket for 3 days and don't look that great right now. toke 8 hrs and taking all plants out to get the fish out. Rescaped and i think it turned out pretty well this time I will take some pics soon and post. Had to deal with a car and work will be starting up soon also so haven't had as much time to deal with some stuff.

14. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Sorry to hear about that just keep us posted.

15. tinkerman

tinkerman New Member

Ok, here are some updated pics. Added a few more plantssince last pic(4 new plants I believe). I did a good pruning and some algea removal last night on the rotalla wallichii. Still having a few problems getting a couple of plants to take off. Well feel free to make sugestions or comments, I have a few holes that need something so any ideas on plants are welcome also.

Attached Files:

16. kakkoii

kakkoii New Member

Looks nice!

17. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Wow, talk about rapid growth in only a few weeks. Your foreground is very nicely done. It's almost time to trim the background stems to give the scape some shape. As for adding new plants, I would focus on the plants you have rather than adding them in to fill in the holes. The patch of Rotala Wallichii is one of my favorite parts of the aquascape so far.

-John N.

18. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

Very nice tank. Watch out for that star grass it will take over very fast. I have to trim ours every 3 days or it will completely take over. Well done:)

19. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Wow that looks good. Lots of growth filling in nicely.

20. tinkerman

tinkerman New Member

Thank you guys for all the good feed back. The glosso has been trimmed twice ad replanted clippings. The wallichii is I think my favorite plant at the moment and looks good for once after I trimmed all the thread algea that seems to grow on it off. The stargrass I will agree with it grows extremly fast and needs to be trimmed often, I thought it would make a good midground plant and add some different texture in places. The right 1/3 of the tank im not sure what I need to do with, I have a marble queen behind the hygrophilla polysperma that is almost tall enough to start seeing the leaf tips and not sure if it will look right there. The amazon sword in the left rear is almost to the top of the tank so I'll have to figure out how to trim the stem plants to get it to show a little more. So lots of stuff I'm not sure about and was hoping for a little more feed back I guess to heelp solve some of the uncertanty. I still consider myself pretty new to the planted tank and still have a lot to learn. So please any suggestions or negitive feedback is welcome and will not be offended by.