1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My First

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by altaaffe, Jul 12, 2008.

1. altaaffe

altaaffe New Member

Hi all, I said - I'm new to plants but was determined to give my CPDs a home to be happy of. This is my first attempt at an aquascape.

Tank is 180l, 100 x 40 x 45 cm
    CO2 80bpm, pH 6.5 -7, kH 4

Fish:
    Celestial Pearl Danios
    Amano shrimp
    Otocinclus

Plants:
    Sagittaria Subulata
    Eleocharis Vivipara
    Glossostigma Elatinoides
    Heteranthera Zosterifolia
    Luwigia Natans & Mullerti
    Lindernia Rotundiflora
    Rotala Rotundifolia
    Alternathera Rosaefolia
    Eichhornia Azurea
    Aponogeton Crispus
    Crypt Blassii
    Lilaeopsis brasiliensis

The idea was to give the CPDs a wall of tall plants across the full length of the back wall to hide and spawn in and at the same time have a tank that I enjoyed looking at (in my dining room). I've learnt a lot since then & would do things a lot differently, but please, all comments greatly received for the future.

[​IMG]
    startup had to be done over 3 days, as I waited for different suppliers to get plants to me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Things started off OK and then the dreaded algae problem raised it's head.
    [​IMG]
    I ended up with a stable (and I thought passable tank until visiting here) until I went away to Canada for 3 weeks, my CO2 bottle emptied into the tank almost killing the occupants the day after I left. Of course 3 weeks without CO2 gave it's own problems but things are recovering now.
    I've started giving it shape with trims now but don't have photos yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

It's grown in very nice.

3. Wingsdlc

Wingsdlc New Member

The stems are really nice and thick! The one thing I would like to see is a much stronger mid ground.

4. Bunbuku

Bunbuku New Member

Nice lush growth! What happened to the Lilaelopsis? Got crowded out by the Sagittaria?
    I think some nice pieces of driftwood may be more suited to the layout that those stones (just my suggestion)

I wish you could get tanks/stands like that off the shelf in the USA! Its an Ehiem no?

5. altaaffe

altaaffe New Member

Being new to it, sorry for sounding 'dumb' but do you mean filling in the dark areas (particularly at the front of the Ludwigia) or is it plant types. I do have the crypts growing slowly (but hardly visible) around the left 2 rocks. The Ludwigia itself is undergoing a trim & thicken phase which is giving it a better shape (hopefully !!) sloping back.

The Lilaelopsis was a late addition after the Sagittaria & glossos nearly completely died back after the CO2 debacle. It is starting to knit in and runners are going out but it'll take a little time.

As for the tank, it's a standard fluval 180, I've got 2 but the other stand is better and is in our living room.

I suppose as with wingsdlc's comments some wood would perhaps have filled out the mid ground better but one of the main features I was after was to have the heteranthera winding its way around and between the rocks. This is where I manage to retrieve most of my fry. Forgot to say that although it is planted, this is basically a working breeding tank. What sort of shapes of wood did you reckon?

Thanks for the comments, I must admit, visiting this site has got me smitten. I can see a few more pennies (more like pounds) being frittered away.

6. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

from a modest beginning it really has come on. Love the bushiness in there.

I recognised the stand from the diagonal sections. lol. Must be available in US being a Hagen product.

Keep posting.

Andy

7. Wingsdlc

Wingsdlc New Member

What I was referring were the dark areas in your tank where the foreground meets the background. It would like much nicer if there was something there. Right now it is just a drastic change from front to back.

The cryps you mentioned will help once they grow in I am sure.

8. Bunbuku

Bunbuku New Member

I have always been envious of the off the shelf tanks and stands you have in the Europe. In the US, apart from ADA, most of the kinds available at retail establishments leave much to be desired :nolook:.

Most of the scapes I have seen and admired use small diameter branchy wood rather than thick stout branches. These smaller and initially less sticks interesting can be attached together with cable ties to make really wonderful pieces.

9. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

You can say that again. The aquascape is really coming along and looking excellent. The rocks really stand out but sort of blend in better now that the plants are filling in. The green algae on them helps too (see, not all algae is bad). ;)

-John N.

10. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

Very nice lush growth of the plants, the CPDs look awesome, good luck on the breeding.

11. chillaquaplants

chillaquaplants New Member

Very nice. You have a nice contrast with your plants, different leaf sizes, shapes, colors. Your CPDs seem very comfortable. I have avoided getting some because I heard they will hide a lot and may not come out very often, but yours are out in the open looking very happy.