1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My first nano iwagumi.

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Asthaparhim, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Asthaparhim

Asthaparhim Aspiring Aquascaper

Tank: 40 x 25 x 25 (cm) 25L
    Lighting: 2x Aquatic Nature Solar Duo Boy 13w
    Substrate: ADA Aqua Soil New Amazonia
    Hardscape: Seiryu stones, about 2.5KG in use
    Filtration: Eheim 2213
    CO2: 0.5KG/2KG bottle pressurized co2 with an inline atomizer system
    Flora: Hemianthus Callitrichoides (HC), Eleocharis Parvula, Ranunculus inundatus, Riccia fluitans
    Fauna: -
    Ferts: KNO3, KH2PO4, CSM+B
    Other equipment: Lily pipes (Cal Aqua Labs - 13mm X1/F1), eheim taps 2x, hydor external heater 200watt.​

Old setup Day 1
    [​IMG]

Day 16
    [​IMG]

Day 50
    [​IMG]

Day 55, after flooding and cutting.

[​IMG]
    My Estimative Index shedule:
    Mon: 1/16 tsp KNO3 & 1/64 tsp KH2PO4
    Tue: 1/64 tsp CSM+B
    Wed: 1/16 tsp KNO3 & 1/64 tsp KH2PO4
    Thu: 1/64 tsp CSM+B
    Fri: Nothing
    Sat: Cutting and cleaning, 50% water change followed by 1/16 tsp KNO3 & 1/64 tsp KH2PO4
    Sun: 1/64 tsp CSM+B

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    keithgh, diego.s and Ed Villagracia like this.

Sponsored link:

2. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

your iwagumi tank looks much better. congrats you did it(y)

noticed,... you started a new thread in aquascaping journal
    it would be nice to show to others the effort you have exerted while
    starting this tank. why not add a link to your previous thread "critique my aquascape"

good job!!!

keithgh and Asthaparhim like this.
  3. Asthaparhim

Thank you! Good idea, I've added the links of my other threads.

keithgh likes this.
  4. Asthaparhim

Think I'm going for this CO2 system:
    Dennerle Nano CO2 Complete kit space
    I can get it for €150, I know it's not very economical but I want a small (complete) CO2 set for my nano tank and I think this is the best option including a shut off system.
    Somone got experience with it or heard about it?

keithgh likes this.
  5. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

6. Asthaparhim

keithgh likes this.
  7. Asthaparhim

keithgh likes this.
  8. Garuf

Don't know anything about aquaholland but that's the right kind of regulator!

In regards to diffusers, inline atomizers are best, the dennerle one you've posted for the same money you can buy 6 off ebay and it probably would be wise to do so as they're impossibly fragile!

9. Asthaparhim

Oke thank you, I found this atomizer on a dutch webshop. I will buy this one then instead of that nano co2 diffusor.
    Do you think I also need a dropchecker? Or is it not necessary? (I've got a sera aqua test box).

keithgh likes this.
  10. Asthaparhim

11. Asthaparhim

Some fast pictures after 16 days

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to buy a pair of lily pipes soon too. I'm still not sure if I'm going for a pair with suction cups or a pair without suction cups (hang on).
    I hope I can flood the tank in about 3-4 weeks, in the meantime I will keep posting pictures of the progress that is made.

keithgh likes this.
  12. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I suggest the suction cups, helps hold them in place when the hoses pull or twist the pipe...easier to make them look nice.

Your DSM seems to be going well! good work. I like the stones.

Asthaparhim likes this.
  13. Asthaparhim

Thank you for your reply. I've ordered Cal Aqua lily pipes with suction cups at Jurijs, think I'll get them within 2 days.

keithgh likes this.
  14. Asthaparhim

The drystart method is going pretty good, the HC is growing hard now and sending out a lot of roots. I've only got some problems with the hairgrass in the back.
    It is sending out roots but some hairgrass turned browned (as you already can see on the last picture in the middle), but there are some brown parts and they dont really grow and white dots appeared on it. I've cut the most of the brown parts.
    Does has an explanation for this? And what Can I do about it? I've already added some KH2PO4 to the misting water maybe it will help?

I will flood the tank if I've got my CO2 and my last items ordered at Jurijs, think it will be in 1 or 2 weeks. Is it smart to cut all the hairgrass to the soil right after I flooded the tank?

*HC had to be hairgrass, changed it now.

keithgh likes this.
  15. Asthaparhim

Solved the problem with the hairgrass by help of Jurijs. I normally opened the savan wrap 8 hours a day in only in the front corner thats why the fungus/mould appeared, there was not enough air circulation. So I did cut off the brown parts of the hairgrass, started opening the savan wrap in the back corners too and I also reduced the spraying a bit.

Got all my stuff now, here are some fast pictures how it looks like right now (after 7 weeks):

I'm thinking of placing the tubing behind closet instead of on the left side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The equipment:

[​IMG]

Still have to setup the CO2 set, it's my first time and it inncluded a very short manual with only text so I will set it up tomorrow whenever I've got enough time.

[​IMG]

It's also the first time I use an external filter, maybe you guys got some tips for me how to get it working?

keithgh and baukeshalmas like this.
  16. Asthaparhim

Got everything working unfortunately the hydor external heater was leaking so I'm using no heater right now.

Here are some fast pictures:

Right after flooding
    [​IMG]

Right after cutting:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Asthaparhim

Got some little signs of blue algae and a little bit hair algae on the HC in the left side of the tank, so I switched the in- and outflow to
    the right side of the tank.
    In the left corner there was some HC unrooted, I tried to put it back with my pincet but I made it worse.
    So I took some toothpickers to get it back into the substrate, I hope I can take them out again within 2 weeks.

[​IMG]

Another fast pictures, bad quality, the HC looks like yellow on here (it is bright green).
    [​IMG]

This is how the tank look likes right now:

[​IMG]

Still have some browns parts of Hair grass in the back, I did cut them to the substrate hope it will turn green soon.

keithgh and baukeshalmas like this.
  18. Garuf

If you have BGA then switching the filter about to see if improving the flow in that area is wise and a good case of identifying the most obvious cause. The other thing could be that you're dosing is low in KNO3, a common problem with HC as it loves a bit of KNO3. What are you dosing?

Instinct with HC makes me think the tooth picks probably won't work, best bet would be to desperate it into individual spigots and to replant those but if the pinsets made matters worse then it might not be worth it.

The straw coloured elecharis won't ever come back, it's dead, you just have to remove it with a siphon at water changes until it's all gone as this is what earned hairgrass it's reputation as an algae magnet.

A side note, just what is going on with your tubing!? :p

19. Asthaparhim

Yes I'm dosing KNO3 I think it's because of the sunlight comming in from my window and maybe some dead spots in the corner? Or too high no2 in combination with much PO4? Already did some water changes. Got an eheim 2213 440l ph/ on my 25liter tank, that should be enough.

Some HC leaves are also turning dark green/grey, maybe because of the switch DSM to flooding, Ill let the tooth picks in and watch if the HC will root back otherwise Ill wait till the corner filled up again or buy a new pot of HC *and also some HG) and try to plant it.

Also removed the most of the browns parts of my hairgrass, just pulled them out.

I've just received my new external heater and the tubing is still on the right side of the closet, think I'll just leave it there.

keithgh likes this.
  20. Garuf

No such thing as too much Po4 or ferts in general, BGA is always poor flow/ low kno3 or poor maintenance techniques. Sun light could be the reason you know! I know a lot of people report bga with sunlight on the tank.

Just bump up your dosing a touch and keep an eye on things. Maybe keep the blinds curtains shut or place something in the way to avoid any direct light hitting the tank.

You won't need to buy new plants, just wait till the tank is more grown in and use trimmings to fill in the gaps if the hc hasn't filled in the gap on it's own.

As I say, just keep an eye on things, you should have sufficient flow you're right but you never do know, planted tanks are finicky beasts.