1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My Failed Attempt at Wiring a Burkert type 6011 Solenoid Valve

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Section' started by Orlandog7, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

I was hoping to wire a Burkert type 6011 Solenoid valve myself and I failed miserably. If you would like to do it yourself, see this link, which I followed... http://www.barrreport.com/forum/bar...8021-how-to-wire-a-burkert-type-6011-solenoid

The gentleman that wrote that post claims it's easy, well apparently easy for him but not for me!

But hopefully with his post and my failed attempt, you can learn something useful in your attempt at DIY wiring.

First the good, I purchased this solenoid valve from AquariumPlants.com... http://www.aquariumplants.com/product-p/sol.htm?1=1&CartID=0 and this is what came in the package for $50.00:
    IMAG4320.jpg
    Next we need to disassemble the part on the left, I don't know what it's called, let's call it the top part where the electric cable feeds into.

Disassembled top part:
    IMAG4324.jpg
    Next find yourself a 3-wire 18 gauge electrical cord. A computer cable will do the trick. Cut off one end and splice. The 3 wires should only have about 1/2 cm exposed. Connect to the three inputs. White, Green, and Black (from left to right).
    IMAG4320.jpg IMAG4324.jpg IMAG4334.jpg

And here is where I messed up multiple times! Before wiring, you need to pass the cord through the housing and the nuts and washer. I messed this part up multiple times and all the re-wiring and remounting of the circuit board caused some of the fasteners to break. Ultimately, the screw that holds the two peices together could not grip properly.

My biggest lessoned learned was the the computer cable I used is too thick. Yes, the wires inside the sheath are 18 gauge but the sheath was too thick and this was problematic when trying to reinsert everything in its proper place.

The solenoid did work, it was wired correctly, but the pieces where not held properly.

So now, I will go back to the vendor and see if they can wire it for me :>(

J Art likes this.
  2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for posting this up, I'm sure members will appreciate you sharing your mishap.

I can totally relate to the DIY frustration...why I've left it in the dust. I'm not that great at it. I cannot even tell you how much of the advice I give to other hobbyists has been learned through my own trial and error over the years. No reason we all have to make the same mistakes.

J Art likes this.