1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My Driftwood Layout

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Raven, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Raven

Raven New Member

Thank you tirtha ! I enjoy your scapes too, and your photos of fish and shrimp...great work man :rock:
    Thank you samc ! Sadly I lost 7 Harlequins by fungus. The disease appeared the day I had to leave for a 10 days trip :Blah: I left the maintenace of the tank to a friend and when I got back it was too late for 7 harlequins and 4 Iriatherinas.

Sponsored link:

2. chix2k3

chix2k3 New Member

lights?

hello, can i ask the color temperature your using for the 4 lights? thanks
    your aquarium looks great!!! :D amazing!!! love the aquascape!

3. Raven

Raven New Member

Hi chix2k3, the lighting tubes are T5 Sylvania gro lux and they have a pinkish hue. I am not very sure , correct me if wrong, but I think they are about 8,500k.
    And an update with a final presentation of this finished layout.

SLIDESHOW

[​IMG]

4. Leonard

Leonard New Member

Very nice aquascape, the size of the leaves and the colours match perfect together!

5. DiogoHCMatias

DiogoHCMatias New Member

Your scape is great! Thanks for sharing his development :hail:
    The only thing I could critique is the excess plant kinds you have... but I'm sure you going to change that in future layouts!

Congrats!

6. Marco Conti

Marco Conti New Member

Beautifull aquarium. Bravissimo! :=D>

7. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Hats Off to You. Simply Superb.

8. Raven

Raven New Member

Thank you Leonard ,DiogoHCMatias,Marco Conti and tirtha1979 !

9. binders

binders New Member

This is one of my favorite tanks of all times. I love the variety of plants that you have used. I was wondering what is the filtration you are using on this tank and also if you have any new pictures. Also what did you do to keep the gravel and the sand separate?:star:

10. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

how long will you keep (enjoy) it?

11. Raven

Raven New Member

Thank you binders ! I use 2 external Eheims 2215 & 2236 , plus a DIY internal filter based on the juwel pump 1000L/h. The internal filter is also doing the CO2 diffusion.
    To keep the sand separate from the graven you have to look at the first pictures of this presentation. I just made the sand river very wide and put some stones with triangle moss tied on them.

I am thinking of tearing it down very soon because I cant effort it financially any more.The electricity bill came 355euros (I never paid more than 120euros before this tank). Not to mention liquid fertilizers.:sad:
    Its sad and my heart will break in pieces but I really dont have a choice.

12. Jurijs mit JS

How long do you keep the lights on and what brand of ferts do you use?

there is a way so save some money on a tank - simply slow down the growth. less light, less ferts and you´ll be able to enjoy this tank even more then before, because it will need less maintenance.

13. Raven

Raven New Member

I have the photoperiod with 2x54w for 10hours plus 2x54 for 5hours. I also have 4 smaller tanks: 54lit breeding tank, 24 lit brackish, 56 lit fry tank, 12 lit iwagumi.
    Fertilizers I use KNO3, fleet enema, K2SO4, Seachem flourish, trace and iron.
    I dose heavily trace, flourish and iron and this means 2 bottles each every month.Total 5-6bottles (70-75euros). Yesterday I bought some Power-4 (microplex) and epsom salts. I tryed chelated iron also but it colors the water so bad that the light doesnt get through.
    For the last weeks I tryed to increase the light to see what will happen and the result is amazing ! Lots of pearling, inormus growth and intense coloration. Even the macrandra and the red myriophyllum wich were struggling to survive, came out with huge new tips. I used for that reason 2x200 HQi. Total bursting period for 3 hours=615watt. No algae at all , of course. But I am terrifyied for the next electricity bill so I will stop it.

Now that I saw how much light this system needs to show out brilliant, I cant compromise to go back to 216watts , so I will tear it down and begin a new aquascape with easy plants , low light and maintenace.

14. Jurijs mit JS

Well, this is finaly what I wanted to hear, that you stay into aquascaping.
    5 tanks need a lot of ferts and electricity, this is true.
    Do you use powders or liquid stuff?

15. Raven

Raven New Member

Of course I am going to stay into aquascaping !! I believe one can do miracles by only using low light plants , driftwood and stones.
    I use dry ferts for macro mainly as I said , but the micros by seachem are costing a lots of money and now I will change them to microplex and epsom salts.
    Above all ,I really hope my financial status will change soon, and if so, I will stick to Hi-tech.[-o<

16. Jurijs mit JS

hehe, I wish your financials all the best ;)
    Have you ever thought about LED lightning?
    It has also a very high output and needs less electricity. If you are interested into LED, please contact Supercoley1 , he has build a DIY LED lightning fixture.

here is alink to an acrticle from him on this page:
    http://www.greenneedle.co.uk/LED1.html

17. binders

binders New Member

Sorry to hear that you will be tearing down this set-up. I understand though how expensive this hobby can be! I know that you will do something great in the low-tech side though. :113: Thanks for the info. I am in the process of setting up a tank and am trying to base it loosely on your set-up. Thanks for the inspiration!

18. Raven

Raven New Member

@binders:I wish you best of luck with your new layout! Dont forget to show it to us when the time comes.

@Jur4ik: I am not very keen on costructions, as every time I tryed DIY the result was ugly at least..:punched: hehe
    But thanks anyway, the site is great. Maybe I will try it in my next life 8)

19. Voozle

Voozle New Member

I had commented on your Skeleton of a Bush over at the Planted Tank forum, but I heard from binders that you're more active over here. Understandably so, because it looks like this layout is getting the reception it deserves. I'm very, very sorry to hear it will be taken down, as my 55 gallon tank - my first attempt at aquascaping - was also inspired by your design.

If you have the time to answer a couple of questions, that would be swell. I'm curious about the I.D.s of a couple of plants, below and in front of the left driftwood arrangement: one looks similar to Cryptocoryne wendtii 'bronze', and the other is the large, mossy clump above it. I'd also love to know if you have any advice for picture taking with the Nikon D60 - I did not buy the camera because you have the camera, that part is coincidence. Thank you!

20. Pejc

Pejc New Member

WOW! Exellent work Raven! :=D>