1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My Driftwood Layout

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Raven, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Raven

Raven New Member

Hallo everybody ! Just bought a rio 300 lit open with lighting system Solar Max x slim series 4X54 watts.
    As substrate I used SEACHEM flurite and ECCO complete.Gravel and white sand in the middle.
    Didnt bought the woods and roots. I have collected them from nature.
    The plant variety that I have to choose from, wich I already have into other tanks are :
    Anubia afzelli and Anubia coffeafolia
    Vallisneria nana
    Java fern in large quantity
    Cryptocoryne becketti
    Java moss and flame moss
    Fontinalis antipyretica
    Hygrophylla siamensis
    Hygro difformis
    Hygro rosanervig
    Alternanthera lilacina
    Rotala nanjeshan
    Rotala rotundifolia
    Ludwigia repens
    Ceratopteris cornuta
    Crinum calamistratum
    Pogostemon helferi
    Glossostigma elatinoides
    Echinodorus tenellus
    Pelia
    Riccardia chamaedryfolia
    The ugly stones are there just to sink the woods.Still have to find some pretty stones to complete the scape before starting to plant. What is your oppinion about this first look of my hardscape ?

Attached Files:

Sponsored link:

2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I like it. Off to a great start. Make sure the driftwood branches on the lower levels stay at a similar, but not exactly the same angles as the other ones. You have one branch almost falling down. Other than that I would say this hould look pretty good.

-John N.

3. Raven

Raven New Member

Thank you John for the quick reply ! The yellowish wood with the curled branches is actually the skeleton of a dead bush found at the side of a stream 3 years before. I love the way it looks and with the addition of my crinum calamistratum in the center of those branches it is looking even better today !
    The other pieces of wood are not sinking yet and I do have a small problem of keeping them on place.
    Here are some photos with some plants added today.

Attached Files:

4. Raven

Raven New Member

Day #3.Update with less wood and more plants.What do you think?

[​IMG]

5. John N.

Very nice! I like it alot better now. It'll be interesting to see how the stem plants turn out on the left side.

-John N.

6. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

how deep is your substrate/gravel/soil? Look very shallow, stem plants may not grow well in shallow substrate

7. Raven

Raven New Member

Substrate is starting 5-6cm in front and up to 10 cm in the back and the corners. In the middle is plain sand without substrate.My plans are including lots of stones ,some of them covered with moss,forming a hill and falling all the way down to the sand and in the gaps some P.helferi. Stem plants only a few at the back corners. Please comment if I am doing something wrong so I could correct it now that it is early.

8. John N.

10 cm is like 4 inches deep. That's a good depth in the back where your stem plants will go. I would say you're on track.

-John N.

9. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

Scape looks pretty good although I feel that there is too much wood showing on the right side than on the left side. A couple branches of the driftwood creeping from the java fern would look cool.

Have you thought about attaching any plants on the driftwood pieces on the right side?

10. John N.

I think the wood is too thin to attach plants or moss to it. I would let the plants around it grow out and envelop the branches. I almost feel like the java fern would look better paired together with branches instead of being alone and separated from them.

-John N.

11. Raven

Raven New Member

You are into my mind John :proud:
    On the left side is where i have the problem. I am still not sure what I want to do there.. The focal center and the main attraction into the tank should be the "bush skeleton" and I was thinking of leaving the left side open grassland with E.tenellus and Blyxa japonica and use the "mother fern" to hide the tubes on the left corner. But on the other hand, I have a big collection of wonderful stem plants available ,like Alternanthera reineckii, Myriophyllum.matogrosso, Hygros, E.stellata,Proserpinaca palustris and many others and there seems to be no space for them. Do you have any ideas and recomendations how and where to use these plants? Please help.

12. Raven

Raven New Member

Day#10 : I named the tank "Skeleton of a bush"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. dirrtybirdy

dirrtybirdy New Member

i think there is too much white. other than that looks good

14. Raven

Raven New Member

Hi ! Yep there is too much white, but my plan is to put more stones and create some slopes and islands into the sand. this is what I have in mind (with alittle help from photoshop)
    What do dou think?

[​IMG]

15. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

If you dont have any amanoshrimps, now is the time to add a lot of them...

16. John N.

I prefer the open white sand, but I do think the island looks cool, but it may be hard to get into play since you have things sort of setup already.

The bigger issue for me is the lack of connectivity between the two sides of the aquascape. I feel the branchy side is almost too overpowering compared to the solid structure of the Java Ferns, and each side is almost like two different aquascapes. I mentioned this earlier, but I think blending in more branches from the right side into the left would help bridge this gap.

Nonetheless, the aquascape is looking good. I noticed that with each update your photography is getting better too. :)

-John N.

17. Raven

Raven New Member

Thank you for the quick reply ! I have to say that I am a painter in profession and my eye is trained to catch any imbalanced sections of an image.:) I have noticed also that the two sides are not blending together from the 1st moment. There is something missing still.. I ll just wait for the plants to start over and then will try to bring things together.Today I did connected the CO2 supply and hopefully will get rid of some algae transferred with plants from other tanks.
    You helped a lot with your comments my friends and I am grateful >:D<
    As for the photos, I am doing my best noticed that I am using a poor gear:((

18. Raven

Raven New Member

Update #2nd month

Hi everybody ! After 2 months lots of things changed. The big Java fern went at the right back corner just behind the driftwood as John N. suggested from the first moment. Many plants were removed or replaced with others.
    The 4 sae had to be given away to a friend due to the fact that they were constantly attached on my mosses and other fine leafed plants,eating them to the ground .Of course I had to tear down the whole aquarium till I was able to catch them :phew:
    New additions were 5 CPDs , 6 Threadfin rainbows ,more Rasbora heteromorpha (total 20) and 8 amano shrimps.I also have many CPD babys in there already:113:
    The left side is still under construction since I need some HC and H. micranthemoides to complete the scape I have in mind.
    The project is still in progress so feel free to comment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

"Junior"?:=D>

20. Church

Church New Member

You have quite a beautiful school of Harlies in there! Great tank!