1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My Dream Tank...

Discussion in 'The Aqua Lounge' started by justo-23, Jan 25, 2012.

1. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

Ok so i've been here quite a bit lately, and i've decided that if i ever get another tank to aquascape, it will be the "410c2.5" from glasscages.com.

It measures 130 x 31.5 x 25 Inches... yes it's huge, and it will cost over 2000 USD for the glass tank alone, and it will take a whole room in my basement, and it is over 400 gallons, but i just keep thinking of the iwagumi i could set up in it :%3

granted due to costs... it may take me a decade to save up for it... but still, WOW :D
    (i didn't know where else to post this so it's here xD)

2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Very exciting!
    If your willing to spend some more money you could get co2 and a Very High quality and bright light and do a Dutch Aquascape.

Altho an Iwagumi would look Awesome, it would be a challenge to create and
    take care of.

Just some of my opinion.(don't go to some Giant lenght to do what i think you should do.) :))

3. lucasgg

some pics would be valuable.
    and we would like to see some:)

4. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

Oh how fun it is to dream. So if this dream comes true, and the tank goes in your basement, what will the tank be going on? A concrete foundation? If so, would you hire anyone to come out and check the integrity of the concrete to give you the OK for installing such a massive tank?

Seems to me if you're going to go down that road and spend that much money, paying someone for an hour or two to check out the structural integrity of your floor would be money well spent!

5. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

All I know - and this may not even be correct - is that the front left of the tank is a type of grass (that's obvious) and that the front right of the tank looks like HC. HC is the name we use in the aquascaping world for "Hemianthus callitrichoides". I've tried growing that plant before with no luck. But, if you can get it, it makes a truly stunning foreground/carpet plant. You really need the right lighting, substrate, fertilizer, and CO2 methods for getting this plant to really grow.

Also - another note about plants. If you can get a plant to live in your tank, and not die, that's great. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the plant is going to THRIVE. All of the great beautiful pictures you'll see of amazing aquascapes -- those plants in those tanks are just staying alive, they're thriving in every sense of the word. They have everything they need, and nothing they don't. It's ONLY in those types of situations where the plants look as good as they do in these pictures.

I've kept various plants in my tank over the years that have survived, but haven't looked good. I kept a sword that, although produced a lot of new growth, always looked like crap because the mature leaves always had a little bit of algae on them. I've kept stem plants that always looks like crap because they were excessively lanky and thin. Pinching the tops off to promote new growth would only result in new stems growing up from the bottom, but those new stems would be equally thin and lanky.

6. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

Yeah, it is just a dream as of now...

It would seem like each of your 2nd posts are aimed at a different thread....??? or did i post some pic.s that i don't even know of? ROFL :D

7. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

Im sure an 8 inch thick slab of concrete would hold the 4000 pounds of weight, even a 3 inch thick slab would hold it. That would be the least of my worries.

8. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

yep... i've seen larger tanks on custom wood stands

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

It is fun to dream. I'm currently realizing one of two dream tanks. An ada 90p with top of the line equipment. I don't think I will ever go as big as you, I want something easier to manage that would not require special structural support in my home.

I thought it would be cool to setup some LED's, pumps, and something to drip water to create a thunderstorm with lightening flashes. I've heard of it being done...well without the artificial rain...that would be very cool.

180 gallons would be the biggest I would go.

10. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

I understand that, after measuring out 130 inches in my basement i've realized that it will mean a basement remodel or go smaller. Now i'm considering the 300 wide that they sell, its height and depth are the same but only 96" wide. Either way, i want to have a drip line set up to add x gallons a day and have it overflow out to my garden to water that... zero water changes bottom line :D

11. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

hmmm... 300 gallons, i'll need 7-10 x that of flow per hour... ?!?!?! 2000-3000 gallons an hour??????????????????!!! haha no problem :%3 guess i'll need a good POOL filter! so, let me see... $1600 for the tank, $500 for the filter, $300 for a nice little inline UV sterilizer, $600 for the recirculating hot water heater, and probably $500 for lights, stand and plumbing... $2500 before i ever see substrate rofl

12. lucasgg

What kind of scape will you put in there?
    You will want to plan out the aquascape because it would be hard to re-scape a giant tank.(and the algae)
    Just a peice of advise :)

13. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

well, it'd be big enough to do a massive dutch scape, but i've always loved the iwagumi look. So i'd spend quite a while finding all the right hardscaping rocks, then use nothing but dwarf hair grass and others that may be just a bit taller... due to it's size i don't think i'd ever need to trim them, just let it grow ;)

as for the algae, i think i'll let it do alot of maturing emersed while i finalize the scape and slowly can afford more plants, this should help when the tank is filled to utilize enough nutrients to eliminate most of the algae (hopefully). plus the UV sterilizer will kill any transient algae that is water born, hopefully these two factors will kick it in the butt. :ehhh:

14. lucasgg

Sounds good!
    My bro has BGA and just got his co2 running again and the algae has started to die down.
    So make sure you have co2 right away when you get the tank cycled.
    :proud: for you!

15. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

yep, i've got co2 right now in my 60 gal. so i would use it on the large one as well :)

16. lucasgg

Ok seems good.
    Are there any questions you have on your mind?

17. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

yeah... where do i get the $3000 it will cost for this monster? xD

seriously tho, no questions as of right now, just saving up :)