1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My Chameleon Shrimp

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by keithgh, Oct 10, 2013.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

I have been having a little problem with my water supply lately with the pH its been very high and rising lately.

This happens every year but its usually starts in Dec and stops after Easter Holidays reason I live in a coastal town which is invaded by holiday and day trippers they also add more Chlorine just to make things worse.

I thought I had lost most of my Chameleon Shrimps and I just bought more and they arrived today, with he Red Nosed Darwin Shrimp and the Threadfin Rainbows

I spread a few little pellets at the front of the tank a few days ago and this was the result

The camera is old but its easy to use compared to the DSLR.

[​IMG]
    Note all the different markings especially the one in the front I think its the first of these markings I have seen in my tank.
    [​IMG]
    Note the Black Eggs looks like they are ready to drop.

Keith:):)

zgmarkozg, Yoda, chiangstar and 3 others like this.
  2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Keith, fantastic looking shrimp you have there :rolleyes: Can we have some pics of the threadfins rainbows;) As they are stunning fish:rolleyes:

3. keithgh

Roy

If you could see them now they would look like the most uninteresting little fish you have ever seen.

Plain and practically transparent of any colourings at all.

After I acclimatised them for over an hour I put them into the tank with the lights off in the morning I will turn one light on then later in the day the second light.

It could be 3-5 days before they start coming out and eating, but with the other Threadfins they just might school up quickly.

With the two filters I have no idea how many I can have in that tank.

I have an Eheim Pro11 now but I can use the Pro3 as it is on the 5ft and I am upgrading that to a bigger Pro3 4 tray.

I like the markings on the Chameleon Shrimp as they are all slightly different and then there is the black eggs.

4. greenfinger 2

Hi Keith, Well as you already have some threadfins it won't take long for them to settle in. They are a fantastic looking fish looking forward to your pics ;) As to filters Great to have two But as you said how do you work out how many fish- shrimp you can keep safely?? As this is done by water volume only:unsure: But you must be able to keep more with more filters??? The shrimp with eggs how long before they hatch And what do you do with all the baby ones

5. keithgh

Roy

To be honest no idea I will get the answer for you

Nothing special I don't think every egg will grow into an adult plus the older ones pass on.

Remember I have a actual 100lt tank with plenty of plant coverage and no idea how many I have.

If I had too many I would try to sell a few but pick up only postage is not easy with shrimps.

6. greenfinger 2

Hi Keith, I would love to breed shrimp in my tanks one day:) So much fun to watch. But at this point i only have Amano shrimp but they only breed in brackish water:( My last batch of shrimp lived for 9 years Even the lfs said that a very long time for shrimp to live and the ones i have now i have had for 3 years (y) Well sometimes it hard to find my 4 shrimp in my planted tank it must be impossible to count yours :D I would only buy from the Lfs. Never on line and sent the through post. Well you would end up with a batch of dead shrimp or fish :( I Don't even like plants coming by post as you say its always best to look before you buy (y)

7. keithgh

Roy my last lot of Shrimps and of course the Rainbows came from Darwin right up the top of Aust from a very reliably breeder and seller only took 23hrs for seller to me and all in perfect condition reason being he knows the correct way to pack and send stock.

Keith :):)

8. keithgh

Roy
    Red Cherry Shrimp information
    Birth to berry 40-45 days
    Gestation 18-22 days
    Lifespan 1.5-3 years
    Assuming nothing different species of Shrimp could be totally different.

I saw some of the young Darwin Shrimp this morning and a few of the Threadfins no sign of the Chameleon at all,and I don't expect until they mature and come to the front of the tank for a feed of the small shrimp food pellets.

9. greenfinger 2

Hi Keith, Thank you for the info:D

10. zgmarkozg

zgmarkozg Aspiring Aquascaper

all that colors, they are awesome (y)