1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My Amazon Swords are falling apart (pics)

Discussion in 'Algae' started by greensandmalawis, May 1, 2011.

1. greensandmalawis

greensandmalawis New Member

I have 8 Amazon Swords that are doing terribly. I have lots of light on them (100w HO T5 and 250 w MH). No ferts. or CO2 at the moment. I think there is some sort of rotting and fungus. Can someone help me ID this problem and help me fix?

6 Pics
    ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Sponsored link:

2. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

No ferts and no co2 yet lots of light.

Like giving you lots to do and give you bread and water only, I'm sure you would look good either. :)

Start dosing ferts and provide some co2, limit the light also.

3. greensandmalawis

OK will do. Just got a FX5 TODAY because my power filter was messing wiht my CO2. Going to start some DIY C02 (8L bottle) Co2 tomorrow. Ill find some ferts too.

What about the fungus? How do you think that started?

4. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

What is your tank dimension? I do not think DIY CO2 can provide enough CO2 for tank with 250W MH. For thank with MH, I would suggest to have proper pressurize CO2.

I don't see any fungus.

5. greensandmalawis

Its a 75 gallon tank (48x18x21). For my DIY CO2 I use (x2) 4L bottle with wine yeast and yeast nutrient (dead boiled breed yeast and lemon juice) and some sort of wine sugar.

My camera doesnt focus well but you can see the mold in the last picture in the middle right side of the picture. It looks a lot like bread mold.

6. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

is it possible that the mold come from the yeast? yeast accidentally escape into the fish tank.

How many bubble per second can your DIY CO2 produce? It would be great if you have something tlike drop checker or other equipment to check the CO2 level

7. greensandmalawis

If yeast can mold under water that could be it.

Approx. 1 large bubble every .8 seconds.

I'm trying to find a nice clear glass drop checker ATM, no stores seem to have them.

8. Tsagos

Tsagos New Member

do you use a difuser ?

9. greensandmalawis

I use Nutrafins bubble ladder.

10. greensandmalawis

Update: Just got my glass drop checker in the mail and set it up today. Started a new batch of DIY co2 I'll let you know if my drop checker turns green. Going to get my nutrients in order next...

11. greensandmalawis

My drop checker has turned green so my CO2 must be doing something. My estimation from memory of 1 bubble per .8 seconds was a little off, its closer to 1 bubble every 3 seconds.

I'm going to make a homemade brew of fertilizers. The recipe calls for:
    "For fertilizer heat 3 cups of water to boiling in a large jar or measuring cup. Add the following and stir until dissolved:
    1. 1/4 cup of potassium sulphate
    2. 1/4 cup of epsom salt (magnesium sulphate)
    3. 1/8 cup of potassium nitrate (salt peter)
    Put this into a 750ml bottle and keep in a cool place. Sometimes crystals may form if its in the fridge so I add a half tsp of muriatic acid and store it on my shelf
    Add 1 tsp of this for each 5 gallons of aquarium water on startup."
    Does that sound right?

I will be adding 1/2 inch clay balls with about 10 granules of 14-14-14 fertilizer for substrate enrichment as well.

12. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

why not just buy dry ferts? they are not expensive, probably just as much as your DIY version.

I think a drop checker on DIY CO2 seems like a bit of a waste to me. DIY doesn't produce enough CO2 to have concerns about over doing it, especially at 1 bubble per 3 seconds with a poor diffusion system like a bubble ladder in such a large tank. I can say with some confidence you have lower levels of CO2 compared to pressurized. The drop checker will only give you an accurate reading if you have 4 dkH solution in it.

I would back off the light, either elevate it above the tank a ways or change away from that MH. Thats a lot of light over a DIY CO2....or keep the light and add pressurized CO2, although still seems like a lot of light...

13. greensandmalawis

Whats a good dry fert product? Preferably with a long life span. If I use dry ferts as a substrate enrichment will I even need to dose my water for the leaves nutrient intake?

The drop checker was to see if I was getting enough Co2, not to much. I used 4 dkH. It doesn't last nearly as long as I need it to though, usually only 3-4 weeks. Whats a good pressurized system for a 74 gr cartridge (approx $100-$150)? I realized all the wine sugar I use in my DIY bottles probably costs more than the cartridges over time.

I stopped using the MH a few weeks ago, it was to much light for the nutrients and Co2 I was using. Was getting a lot of algae on my substrate. When I have everything else running well I'll see what the MH can do for me.

14. ShadowMac

Dry ferts are dosed directly to the water column, not to the substrate. www.greenleafaquariums.com sells dry ferts. You will want KNO3 (potassium nitrate), KH2PO4 (monopotassium phospate) and CSM+B. I also get Fe DTPA to mix extra iron into the CSM. In reality all dry ferts are very close to the same thing. I spend less very little on dry ferts and lasts me forever. my CSM+B has lasted a year and a half. I dose 3 times a week, phospate has lasted a year, iron as well. Nitrate is all I have had to buy again, but again...lasted nearly a year.

That is how i looked at DIY, eventually it will cost the same and then more. I'm not sure about a CO2 reg. for a 74 gram cartridge. Is it a paintball cartridge? I use 5lb cylinders.

Green leaf aquariums sells regs. for cylinders but not in the price range you are looking at, so I would suggest looking here: aqua forest aquarium If its a paintball canister they sell an adapter. There is a reg. for $99 with a solenoid. A 5lbs cylinder tends to run $50 to $60

You can also check ebay. I got a cheap flow regulator from there that has worked alright. Hope that helps.

15. greensandmalawis

Thanks for the tip on dry ferts, I am going to get some.

My local aquarium store has this Milwaukee MA957 (CO2 Regulator with Solenoid "Co2 regulator with solenoid includes needle valve, bubble counter, and gauges"). Does the 5 lbs canister screw directly on to the regulator?

16. ShadowMac

yes it does. You will need some way to distribute the CO2 such as a disc diffuser, inline diffuser, inline atomizer, internal reactor, inline reactor... there are a bunch of ways.

If you have a canister filter I really recommend the inline atomizer from GLA. They work great.

You will want some sort of timer to plug in your solenoid into, so you can time when CO2 turns on and off. You want it to turn on about 2 hours before lights are on, then turn off about 1 hour before lights go off.

You will want good flow to move the CO2 around the tank.

17. greensandmalawis

Is $120 USD a fair price for a aluminum 5 lbs co2 tank unfilled?

18. ShadowMac

that seems about twice as much as what it would cost me locally here.

I wouldn't spend more than $80 for a filled 5lb tank.

I haven't heard great things about the milwaukee regulator. I don't know what type of needle valve they use. You should be wary of poor quality builds. The wrong needle valve will give you poor control over your CO2. Poor quality regulators have difficulties maintaining a steady working pressure as tank pressure drops and you can see a dramatic increase in CO2 release to the tank, which can be unpleasant or deadly for critters.

Investing in a quality Co2 setup is well worth the investment as most issues with plants come from poor or inconsistent CO2 levels.

19. pupa

pupa New Member

same as my problem (my anubias) :-s

20. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

It's on the expensive side, but you are paying for the light weight aluminum.

Go with a steel tank from a fire supply shop. 10 lbs for me is $75 filled.

-John N.