1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My 90gal New World community

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by LauraLeeLLBP, Jul 3, 2008.

1. LauraLeeLLBP

LauraLeeLLBP New Member

This isn't my first planted tank, but it is the first one I've ever really "scaped." Would never win any prizes anywhere, but I've definitely enjoyed the process of putting it together, and I like the way it's shaping up so far! :"> This is a New World "themed" tank (not a biotope), so all flora and fauna (with the exception of the shrimp) are from the Americas.

It's a project that began back in January, and it's been a long journey. I'm finally at the place now where I've added all the plants I plan to add (unless I decide to give up on "converting" stargrass to low light and put something else in that one spot... LOL), and I'm now about 1/2way through stocking the tank. (My FULL journal (beware- it's really long!) can be found over on TFH's forum at http://forums.tfhmagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=23207)

Equipment Specs:
    90gal AGA
    4x54 Solar T5HO (I run only 108watts 8 hours/day)
    Rena Filstar XP2 (Soon to be replaced with an Eheim 2217)
    AquaClear 110
    Hydor 300watt ETH inline (yet to be turned on... LOL)
    Substrate: layered/mixed peat, Colorquartz, Fluorite black, Fluorite black sand, and black gravel

Plants:
    Echinodorus 'kleiner bar'
    E. africanus
    E. angustifolius
    E. angustifolius 'vesuvius'
    E. tenellus "regular"
    E. tenellus 'narrow'
    Bacopa caroliniana
    Heteranthera zosterifolia
    Hydrocoytle leucocephala
    Salvinia molesta
    Phyllanthus fluitans
    Limnobium spongia (being added next week)

Fauna:
    12x Amano shrimp
    35ish Red cherry shrimp
    12x Otocinclus mariae
    1x Panaque maccus
    6x Microgeophagus ramirezi
    8x Corydoras schwartzi + 1x Corydoras trilineatus
    *25x Pristella maxillaris (one more week in QT)
    *25x Hemigrammus bleheri (not yet purchased)
    *35x Paracheirodon axelrodi (not yet purchased)

February 2008
    [​IMG]

March was spent gathering supplies and equipment

April- laying in substrate
    [​IMG]

and initial planting
    [​IMG]

a week later, the arrival of more plants prompted a replanting
    [​IMG]

by May, most of my plants were in place, but I had purchased some Salvinia minima that just could not hold to the surface of the water (the AquaClear kept pushing it under) and it was clogging my filter intakes. I later added Salvinia molesta, and this has performed much better for me.
    [​IMG]

I removed it, and did some rescaping again; replacing some gravel with Fluorite on the left side, and adding much more E. tenellus 'narrow' to the carpeted area and a few more plants
    [​IMG]

I neglected to do a water change after this last rescape, and between that and my removal of the Salvinia, within a few days I had pea soup
    [​IMG]

I made the decision not to get a UV sterilizer or try anything else to deal with the GW other than just let it run its course. It's taken over a month to clear, but the last week has finally seen some significant progress, and this pic was taken just a few days ago
    [​IMG]

The fish and plants didn't seem to mind the GW at all- my E. 'kleiner bar' began flowering, and quite a few of my shrimp are berried (Amanos and RCS both) LOL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's it so far! Comments welcome =)

2. pinajaime

pinajaime New Member

looking very good , more time and is going to look much better, i liked very much keep going and enjoy the process

3. trenac

trenac New Member

Knock on wood I've never had to deal with green water, I feel for those who have.

I like how you have started so far. The arrangement of twisted would is nice. Now just give the plants some time to fill in.

4. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Is that gnarled, twisted driftwood one piece? It looks really good.

You mentioned that your battle with greenwater consisted everything but adding a UV sterilizer. Is there are particular method that worked the best?

-John N.

5. LauraLeeLLBP

LauraLeeLLBP New Member

Thanks, everyone. Now that the GW continues to subside I'm able to enjoy the tank more and more. :Happy: This is a 'scape that I think may take a year or more to grow in fully, being low light/low tech and full of slow-growing sword plants.

John- I really haven't done anything other than wait the GW out. I tried a few things that didn't work out (I bought some daphnia early on- but the shipment was delayed by a heat wave and so they arrived only one day before my first shipment of fish- within 24 hours I had NO daphnia, but very happy fish! :-p) I also added Purigen to my filter, thinking perhaps there was a nutrient excess I wasn't picking up with my test kits, but that only cleared out the tannins from the driftwood. I also added a micron filter pad to my XP2. None of these things had any noticible effect on the GW.

My wood is about 6 pieces of Manzanita wood; I tried to arrange it to look like the roots of a tree... I went back and forth quite a bit about whether or not I liked it, but in the end once I'd planted the tank I decided that I do. The fish and shrimp definitely love it, especially the "cave" underneath in the middle- so it stays. 8)

I'm happy that the tank has continued to clear. I've kept cleaning out my sponge filters and the filter floss media about once a week to clear out the dead and dying algae. I have not done any water changes since my last post (July 1st), and the tank is not completely clear- but here are pics from tonight, you can see progress:

[​IMG]

E. 'kleiner bar' flower that's now blooming:
    [​IMG]

German blue rams and E. tenellus carpet
    [​IMG]

E. angustifolius 'vesuvius' with Bacopa caroliniana in the background
    [​IMG]

E. africanus in the middle, E. angustifolius to the right, Stargrass that seems to finally be growing even in low light, Hydrocoytle on the left[​IMG]

A few angled FTS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. chillaquaplants

chillaquaplants New Member

It's good to see your tank is finally starting to clear up. It doesn't look like the plants suffered in the green darkness.

7. LauraLeeLLBP

LauraLeeLLBP New Member

Happily, my tank is finally clear! Took about 6-8 weeks total for the GW to fade, but there's now not any at all. Purigen has also removed all traces of tannins from the water, so it's quite clear. :D I also added my Pristella tetras tonight.

The sword flower has finished blooming and is now wilting
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spawning GBRs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. LauraLeeLLBP

LauraLeeLLBP New Member

Just a quick update, my GBRs spawned again last night.

So far the eggs keep getting eaten. These fish are all young, and just figuring things out. Each time they get better at protecting the eggs. I'm not confident at all any fry will actually survive in this tank since there are so many fish in there, but it's certainly interesting following along!

This is the female:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my sword is flowering again!

[​IMG]

9. fishman9809

fishman9809 New Member

those horny horny fish!!! :p

10. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

ah how cute .. i hope your apisto fry will survive - i love them

11. LauraLeeLLBP

LauraLeeLLBP New Member

Been a while since I updated this. I did a pretty major rescape on the tank last week. I've also added 2 Gold nugget plecos, and the final inhabitants-to-be, 35 Cardinal tetras, have started their QT today.

Each of the 4 GBR females takes turns spawning with the dominant male, resulting in a spawn about every 2 weeks. There is a female "flirting" with the male again tonight, which means that there will probably be eggs in the tank by morning. So far none of the eggs have ever made it past 48 hours; I don't think any of them have hatched (or if so, I've never seen the fry).

My extra-large female Amano also released all of her hatched eggs today- she was up on the top of the driftwood expelling the zoes, with the Pristella tetras swarming around her eating them as they popped out of her swimmerettes. The other Amano is still berried, however.

Anyways, here's a few pics:

In the QT tank:
    [​IMG]

In the main tank:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dominant male GBR checking out the new guy:

[​IMG]

The new 'scape:

[​IMG]

12. LauraLeeLLBP

LauraLeeLLBP New Member

A month later, and since the last pic I've added Stargrass to the tank again. I think this is the fourth time I've tried stargrass, and THIS time seems to be the charm (I think the difference is that this stargrass was already acclimated to low light). 35 Cardinal tetras completed the stocking of this tank.

[​IMG]

13. dirrtybirdy

dirrtybirdy New Member

tank looks good. i like the addition of the plecos!

I cant wait to get female GBRs so they can spawn.

14. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Beautiful Gold Nugget plecos! I've always wanted them, but I never could manage to get over the price tag to get them.

The aquascape has come a long way since your green water tank. You have lots of patience to wait out the greenwater for 8 weeks. I would have gotten a UV Sterilizer and called it a done day. ;) The Echinodorus 'kleiner bar' looks great against your foreground plants. In fact it's interesting how the sword leaves are actually fanning out more then growing straight up. I wonder why that is.

Lastly, your "crafted" manzanita driftwood roots looks really amazing, especially with the Hydrocotyle leucocephala leaves grow up it. Job well done.

-John N.

15. LauraLeeLLBP

LauraLeeLLBP New Member

Thanks, dirty and John. B-)

The Gold nugget plecos actually have continued to tear up my big sword; I just compared it now to the pics here and I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up re-homing at least one of the plecos. The poor sword looks pretty pathetic ATM. I think I actually have 2 different species of Gold nuggets (there are at least 3 species that go by "Gold nugget pleco") so it's possible only one of them is doing the damage. May take some serious detective work to figure out which one, though...

16. LauraLeeLLBP

LauraLeeLLBP New Member

Wow, it's been a long time!

Many changes with the tank. It got neglected for a while and I'm just now getting it back after a pretty bad Clado outbreak (pulled literally gallons of the stuff out of the tank!) The Gold Nugget Plecos died a few months back when I had an ammonia spike after moving the tank into another room, but the silver lining to that loss is that the swords are finally getting a chance to grow back.

I'm almost done with the replanting now, but I'd lost most of my stems as well as quite a bit of the carpet to the Clado. I'm still need to add some more E. tenellus 'micro' and E. angustifolius 'vesuvius' to fill in the blank areas... and now I'm fighting with all my BN plecos to try and keep the new carpet plants in the substrate LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. LauraLeeLLBP

LauraLeeLLBP New Member

The ammonia spike took out about 1/2 of my stock, including all but 2 lonely Cardinal tetras, half my Pristella tetras, all the Amano shrimp, and all but 1 female German Blue Ram.

I was left with:
    17x Pristella tetras
    [​IMG]

2x Cardinal tetras (want 50 more)
    [​IMG]

5x Corydoras schwartzi
    [​IMG]

5x Otocinclus viattus
    Who knows how many MTS
    1x German blue ram (female)
    [​IMG]

1x Clown pleco
    [​IMG]

I then moved all these over from my 29gal:
    15x Poecilocharax weitzmani
    [​IMG]

20x Amano shrimp
    [​IMG]

1x albino LF BN pleco (adult)
    [​IMG]

5x Calico BN plecos (juvenile)
    [​IMG]

I'll be rehoming several of the Calico BN plecos down the road.