1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My 55g

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by cody1250x, Oct 4, 2014.

1. cody1250x

cody1250x New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] tell me what you think about my tank. This is really my first attempt at aquascaping. Fish: 3 discus 15 neons 3 cardinal tetras ( discus ate the rest lol) 3 ottos 6 rummynose tetras 1 bristle nose pleco and 1 sword tail. Equipment: cascade 1000 canister filter 2 150w heaters 4 2ltr diy co2 reactors. Substrate is a mix of pool filter sand eco complete and flora max + root tabs. any coments will b appreciated

Glomeridae likes this.
  2. EChord

EChord Aspiring Aquascaper

Surprised nobody commented - might want to try posting in tank journal next time since ppl may not realize you want feedback in this category. :) Anywho - I'll give it a whirl, though I'm no expert. First off - nice fish! The discus look very nice, and plants all look pretty healthy and happy too, which is always the most important thing. :) I do think you need a couple layout changes to make the tank really sing.

The plant in the center (sword?) needs to move, I think, and/or have those large side leaves trimmed off. It feels like it's pulling the scape off balance right now. Maybe move it more to the left, between the two pieces of wood, and bring the wood a bit closer together and/or add a third piece. I'd also try to level out the substrate in the center front of the tank. Since rest of the tank is so level, the hill almost seems accidental. You could also build the substrate up in the back a bit more, to bring some extra depth.

That's all I have for the moment - hope you found that useful!

Glomeridae likes this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Cody

I try to look at all posts and post a comment but for some reason it looks like I missed your post as did other members.

First welcome to ASW late as it is.

Seeing its your first attempt at Aquascaping and can I say selecting the correct fish that are compatible with each other, it looks like the Discus and plants are looking OK.

In my personal opinion I would leave every thing as it is and observe how the plants grow and fish behave.

During that time do as much research and ask questions on Aquascaping here on ASW as you can.

While you are doing all the research etc start planning you next Aquascape.

Keith:):)

Glomeridae and EChord like this.
  4. cody1250x

cody1250x New Member

Thank you both I didnt want to trim to much that soon since I knew the plants would loose some leaves due to transplanting. And I did have a 3rd piece of wood but removed it because my fish seemed they wanted that space to swim around and im hoping to get hair grass to carpet the bottom around the wood. Iv never tried the hilly look till this time and I agree with that hump in the middle. It didn't come out as I expected but overall I'm happy with the results so far altho I know I could have done beter. Is there any way to move a thread into the journal section or do I just have to start over??

keithgh likes this.
  5. cody1250x

cody1250x New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] (had to post the fish) they love the new setup. Also what I was going for is the right to look densely planted and the left to look more like woods. Thanks for the imput again.

Glomeridae, greenfinger 2 and EChord like this.
  6. keithgh

Cody

I have moved your post as requested to Aquascaping Journals .

Keith:):)

EChord, cody1250x and greenfinger 2 like this.
  7. cody1250x

cody1250x New Member

Thank you!

keithgh and EChord like this.
  8. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

plants look healthy and fish seem happy. Good start! I have a 55 gal and am working on it as well but I have big gold fish so my plant selection is limited. Glad that you are with us and hope to read more posts from you.---best wishes---R

EChord, cody1250x and keithgh like this.
  9. keithgh

10. TiagoJH

TiagoJH New Member

Any updates?