1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My 220L Planted tank

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Stickling100, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Stickling100

Stickling100 Aspiring Aquascaper

I decided to drop the light down to 7hour. Only the back unit is on theres no way for me to have 1 of each tube on unfortunately, Do u think the plants at the front of the tank may not do so well?

I'm having difficulty with the co2 because I keep breaking my diffusers! Just have an air stone at the moment, put it on too high and u just get huge bubbles. Waiting for 2 more diffusers.

Sponsored link:

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

I have that problem with diffusers. Never again, I use inline diffusers now, plastic so they don't break, inline so you get better diffusion and spread around the tank and produce mist like you wouldn't believe.

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/up-co2-inline-diffuser-16mm-p-5432.html

Available from ebay vendors for around £20.

I doubt the plants at the front will mind overly, if anything the lower par by not being directly under the tubes might be a bit of a boon in controlling nutrient demand, not that hairgrasses is overly large.

3. Stickling100

4. Garuf

Chuffin' eck that's come on a fair bit, shame about the algae in the moss, just trim it back really hard and it'll come back, it won't mind it. Are you running 4 tubes or two?
    That Aponogeton has gone mad!

5. Stickling100

I’m running two tubes I just turned the other unit on to take the photo. I need to spend some time this week trimming I’ve neglected it the past few weeks. The Aponogeton has gone mental, it flowers every week!! The H. Corymbosa died back due to the shade from the Microsorum so I had to remove it completely. I’m still fighting to keep the algae at bay, learning as the weeks go by.

6. Garuf

The first tank is always the hardest. Try adding the co2 diffuser underneath the powerhead and see if that helps. It'll come good I'm sure, it looks great.

7. Stickling100

I have got one of the power heads over the diffuser so at least I'm doing something right!!! Lol recently noticed my red tail shark loosing weight, the co2 was too high and he's stopped eating so I've reduced it. Fingers crossed I don't have any major issues with algae. Still not happy with the flow I have an aqua manta 300 and two power heads, on paper I'm running just on 10x but still looks like not enough to me.

8. Garuf

It happens, try aiming all of the outlets in the same direction or in opposing corners of the tank. Play with what you have and see what works. In the past I've used vertical spray bars and these work very well in some tanks and poorly in others, it's a lot of experimentation, every tank has it's own sweet spot with flow as with co2.

This is another reason why I've moved past the 10x thing, I've found some tanks even 10x just isn't enough so I tend to just chuck what ever filter I have to hand on be it 20x turn over or 30 and work from there, the plants don't mind and it's extra slack in the system. In some corners of the internet I'd be a heretic, I got banned from a fish keeping forum once for suggesting I was running 30x turnover and had no problems what so ever.

9. Stickling100

Well on Monday evening I decided the wood needed to move, I just can't get the flow with the powerheads I have, while the wood is in the middle blocking the flow.
    I can quite easily see how you could put 30x in, with the layout of the scape how it was. Also the Aponogeton has grown very tall and had begun to look overwelming where is was, it needs room to sway aroun.

The wood is moving to the far right, I've moved the Aponogeton behind it, with the powerheads pushing it left along the top.

I have a lot of work to do but I'm much happier with the flow its a lot better! hopefully I can make it look beautiful as well!!!