1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

My 2 foot red cherry shirmp tank

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Kcraven, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Kcraven

Kcraven Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey guys, its been a while. In the last 6 months I have moved and have finally had the time to set up a little project with some Red Cherry Shrimp.

Substrate : Fluval shrimp / plant substrate
    Hard Scape: Large piece of wood
    Fauna: Red Cherry Shrimp x 10 (and lots of pest snails)
    Plants : Val, Anibus nana, crypes, Java fern and one unknown ( which I am having problems with).
    Lighting: 2 foot Aqua one plant bulb

I am posting this in hopes of some help with a few issues I seem to be having so far. The timber has some form of fungus growing on it and I am curious if it is dangerous at all to have in my tank and the best way to get rid of it. The other major problem I am having (besides the snails) is some of the back ground plants dying off. Now my light is situated at the front of my tank as the timber sits out above the height of the tank at the back therefore not allowing me to place it directly over the middle of the tank. Would this be the problem?

Just on another note this is what I am using to get rid of the snails when it arrives : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genchem-...2?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item41751446aa

Any advice /suggestions are welcome. Also if anyone know what that bushy plant at the back is would be much appreciated!

Kind Regards

Adam

Dying plants.jpg Dying plant with shrimp.jpg Fungus.jpg

2. Kcraven

Ps sorry for picture quality only have my phone camera!

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Kcraven

That whitish fungus looks very much like a fungus when DW is added into a tank.

One of the best was I have found to remove it is either leave it and it will vanish or take it out and give it a good scrub with a clean hard brush, re soak it for a few days then it may require another brushing.

Snail killers BEWARE it will possibly kill all the snails, certainly your shrimp.

Take the shrimp out and buy a few small Clown Loaches and only lightly feed them every second or third day its a safe way to remove them, if you leave the shrimps in they will snack on them first.

The plant concern could be, lighting (lack of), plant ferts used if any, or even the water conditions.

I think you will have to get some one to take better photos for you so we can have a clearer look at your concern.

Keith:):)

4. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Adam, The plant could be these Cabomba Caroliniana or Limnophila sessiliflora In shade will shed there leaves :(

5. Kcraven

thanks guys. I think its the light position. The water conditions should be fine. As for the snail killer the australia shrimp group recommend it and have had great success!

Should I invest in another light to have running as well? I am not really wanting to put CO2 into this tank if it isn't required!

6. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Adam, Another light wont hurt:) But remember the more light the faster things will grow plus you may need Co2;)Or you could use Liquid Co2 Others will know more

KatieK likes this.
  7. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I'm interested to see how the planaria killer for shrimp works for you. I often don't mind snails as they are little garbage guts and can help keep the system healthy.I do admit they can be a bit annoying and unsightly at times. A good sized shrimp population can do the same. Let me know how it goes with that.

As far as the fungus, I concur with Keith.

With the plants it is definitely the lighting, IMO. You can see them stretching out towards your light due to the poor spread. Lower leaf loss is a general sign of too low of light.

8. keithgh

Adam

Another quality light will certainly help your plants.

Until I see the actual proof I will keep squashing my stinking little snails, I also would like to see the results.

9. Kcraven

Yeah currently working on raising my light above the driftwood so I can get it over the back plants more!

10. Kcraven

So I lifted the light up and now there is a extremely better spread of light across the tank. I am going to do a water change today so I will get in and trim some of the dying plants back and see how I go from there. I am fairly surprised at how bright the light still is even being lifted up a few inches.
    Thanks for the feed back and Will keep you up to date with the no planaria stuff once it arrives!

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  11. Kcraven

Hey guys just a quick update. Lost all of stem plants due to lack of light. :( on the bright side however that No Planaria came a few days ago and I started treatment. All my pond snails are gone (from what I can see)! So i would like to confirm it does work! I have also read forums about it only working on pond snails and being safe for other species. Just thought I would let you all know.

Kind regards
    Adam

12. keithgh

Adam

Fantastic news my question is what about the Shrimp?

13. Kcraven

all fine! Including some extremely small babies. Had zero deaths. Its main ingredient is Betel nut palm extract.... what ever that is. Like i said its obviously mainly for planaria but does work on the common pond snail

14. keithgh

Adam

I wonder if it works on the stinking little common aquarium tank snails?

15. Kcraven

i would be unsure. when i say pond i just mean the ;little round ones you can get when purchasing plants!

16. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Just to add in, leafloss is as much a sign of poor co2 as it is light. In this case I suspect it to be a bit of both as the plant it is afflicting is notorious for shedding if it doesn't get a tonne of light and co2.

17. Kcraven

yeah haha i think i should just cut my losses on that one seeing as its a low tech tank :p

Thanks Garuf

18. Kcraven

Hey guys I just want to inform you that even though I used that No Planaria I have found 1 snail which i squished and one planaria. So I am treating the tank again. Will keep you posted.

I think this may have happened as I am treating the tank as a 50 L when its actually a 70 L.
    Fingers crossed

19. Kcraven

Just to add it may also be because I have Seachem Purigen in the filter which I didn't remove. So if this treatment doesn't work will have to do again with it removed.

20. keithgh

[​IMG]

Kcraven

Can you send me a PM where and cost please.

Thank you for all the updates.

This is the little stinker I am referring to.