1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Mr. Aqua 22g Long

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by aquadoob, Feb 25, 2016.

1. aquadoob

aquadoob Aspiring Aquascaper

Got my hands on a 22 long and decided to make it a moss and Buce tank. So far, I've got Black Pearl, Brownie Jade, Deep Purple, Brownie Blue, Krivbass, Black Mist, and Mini Coin for Buce and, peacock, xmas and flame for the moss.

Still waiting on some Brownie Ghost, Green Lamandau and Cobalt Blue to get here Monday.

Going with Seiryu Stone and most likely - very minimal DW. Let's see what happens!

uploadfromtaptalk1456434832056.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1456434839852.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1456434850227.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

St3phen and lucasgg like this.

Sponsored link:

2. Gary Murphy

Gary Murphy Aspiring Aquascaper

Reminds me of an aquascape i saw a while back. I think some of those rocks are very similar in texture and detail which slightly concerns me. Have you any other rocks? Here is a photo which im sure will help you ;)

789.jpg

3. aquadoob

No =( they were bigger rocks that I hammered to break down into smaller fragments. Why do they concern you?

4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

aquadoob

Until you use the substrate all I can see is a pile of rocks with plenty of character in some form of order.

Then there is the type of substrate and planting you intend to use.

Keith:cat::cat:

aquadoob likes this.
  5. jagermelifter

jagermelifter Aspiring Aquascaper

this is a great scape! ive always wanted a mr aqua 22 but i cant get them in vancouver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aquadoob likes this.
  6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Nice stones. I'm not quite sure what you have planned in terms of hardscape and planting. Are you planning a sand substrate? Or soil? Are you planning to use the moss as a carpet?

I think your peacock moss will most likely end up mixing in with your xmas moss, so my suggestion would be to pick one or the other. That is unless you do not mind the mixing. Flame moss is easier to keep separate. I love moss, but it is so invasive in a tank...it gets everywhere. So when used its a good idea to plan on it showing up elsewhere.

I hope you plan to put some cool shrimp in there ;) seems like it would be a nice setup for that.

aquadoob likes this.
  7. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

Aqudoob is doing the right thing - piling or arranging the stones outside tank is the best way
    to do when one not sure how it will look like inside a prepared tank. adding of substrate is easy and can be
    done later when rocks layout is final.

would you mind moving the three front stones to the left side....but same line.
    green represent more space.

RYOUH STONES.jpg

lucasgg, aquadoob and ShadowMac like this.
  8. keithgh

Ed Villagracia I fully agree, however I have been saying that for more years than I can remember, other than seeing how its going to look its far easier and less chance of damaging the glass particularly if you are using big heavy rocks.

The main reason for using a substrate or sand or even cat litter works it can change the height if the rocks it will give you a chance to try different styles for the substrate and this could change every thing again.

More excellent points for you to consider.

9. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

glass will not be damaged since the rocks layout is outside the tank. once he is contented with the rocks placement
    then Aquadoob can pour a much need layer of substrate he preferred to use just to hold in place all rocks while positioning.
    when the rocks is already in place inside the tank, then he can add more substrate for subs elevation esp. at the back side.

[QUOTE="keithgh, post: 106225, member: 11029"The main reason for using a substrate or sand or even cat litter works it can change the height if the rocks it will give you a chance to try different styles for the substrate and this could change every thing again.
    Keith:cat::cat:[/QUOTE]

Aquadoob is using a 22g long tank, maybe 8" to 9" in height so the height of the rocks are fitted to his tank.
    if i am not mistaken, have seen tank scape done by him. he can scape and he understand what he is doing.
    our opinion is just a pointer/s for him to consider.

10. aquadoob

Thanks ShadowMac!

Hardscape is going to be seiryu stone. Might be doing all stone on this one. Haven't scaped with just seiryu. I also will be dipping the stones in murriatic acid to make them black and soften the edges.

I intend this tank to have as many Buce species as possible. Maybe even carpet with it as well. Only problem is, I've never worked with Buce (Bucephalandra) and there is very limited/generic care information.

I have a 36" 6,700k plant LED for it. Not sure how high the light needs to be. Don't want to fry the tank. Also, don't know if it can be low-tech or high-tech, or if dosing is needed. I want CRS or OEBT or Bees in this tank, not sure if that helps.

Substrate I am going once again with the Fluval Stratum. It works well for me and I like it.

11. aquadoob

Thanks for the feedback Ed. The stones will definitely be spaced out more than shown, I had nothing to prop them up properly so they are mostly leaning on each other for support. I do however, see the need to pull those front 3 back, in line. Good call. I was building a stand for it last night. Will update hardscape a little later.

J Art likes this.
  12. keithgh

aquadoob

In the tank what shape and how deep will your substrate have to be to support the rocks?

Keith:cat:

13. aquadoob

I'm thinking slopes. Still not to sure to be honest. Trying to research Buce in its natural environment, but info is sparse.

14. keithgh

aquadoob

I would try an Island with the substrate sloping away at first it might or might work only you will be able to see as all we can see is a simple photo.

The higher island center could help you to support the rocks as well.

15. aquadoob

I'll play with that idea a bit. Let's see what I can whip up

16. aquadoob

This is amazing...
    uploadfromtaptalk1456676397519.jpg

17. keithgh

aquadoob

I have never seen a tank with so many red plants.

Unless I am mistaken I can also see red Shrimps its a pity they can not be seen clearly because of all the red plants.

18. aquadoob

I think it's gorgeous.

19. keithgh

aquadoob

Yes its certainly a beautiful red planted tank.

20. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Wow! I've never seen so many Bucep species in one place :)), I think it took ages to grow them