1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Most Useful Aquascaping Tips

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Sep 7, 2010.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

One of the goals here at ASW is to promote information sharing between aquascapers. With an international community, I'm sure we all have something unique to share with one another.

Please share your most useful Aquascaping Tips and techniques to help your fellow aquascapers and budding scapers.

-John N.

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Frequent water changes are the best you can do for your aquarium :proud:

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Some tips I've gleened from others over the years include:

Sketch the Layout before planting
    Sketching provides a draft of your goals and intentions. This will help you gather all the necessary materials and plants to begin, while helping you stay on track as the aquascape develops.

Start Simple: Keep Plant species down to 5 or less
    Too many times, aspiring aquascapers get too excited and want to plant every single plant they can get their green little thumbs on. As I've seen, some of the most successful aquascapers tend to start out with only a handfull (1-5 plant species) and mold those particular plants into a balanced aquascape.

Substrate Shape and Depth
    This one is a critical tip that can make or break an aquascape. Make sure you have a deep substrate of 4 inches in the back of the aquarium. Then gradually allow it to slope from the 4 inch back to a 2 inch front. If you have a smaller aquarium, the point is to have the back substrate taller then the front area of the aquarium. This will create an immediate illusion of depth without even planting a single plant.

-John N.

4. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Lol.

I only do the sketch one and only on one occasion I did that :)

My substrate is like a shelf for the foreground then it dips down toward the back and the hardscape / attached plants create the upward slope/depth. This is because hidden behind and also overhung by my hardscape is open sand for the Corys to play to their hearts content :)

I don't do water changes (Well I did the first for a year when I moved a load of plants around last week)

And I have more than 5 species of Crypts let alone all the other plants. lol

Onto my sort of tps. Not really the standard as you would expect.

1 - Listen to other people's advice and critique but don't instantly act on it. You had a plan when you started so ask yourself does the advice/critique improve or even fit your plan?

2 - Don't be afraid to try the unfashionable. You just may start a 'retro' movement :)

3 - Don't be scared to try a plant just because a guide says it won't do well in your setup. Try it first, see if it will

AC