Sponsored link:

1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Moss terrarium

Discussion in 'Ripariums & Paludariums' started by scan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. scan

scan New Member

After my aquarium was sitting empty for over more than a year i decided that i want to do something with it again.
    I wanted something like an aquascape, something representing nature again only without having the costs of an actual aquascape.
    I've made a rockgarden a few months ago and had some left over materials so I decided to use those.
    I literally spend 0 bucks on decorating the terrarium. and even if i had to buy the supplys it would be very cheap.
    I made a 1-2 inch false bottom out of what rougher gravel(7-15mm), cut the window mesh to size and put that on top.
    I've put a very thin layer of 1-3 mm gravel on the mesh and than half a inch of powdered and very fine lumbwood charcoal. i've put a thin layer of 1-3 mm gravel on top of that and finished it up with diffirent sizes of gravel.

Roughly 80% of the tank is filled with various types of native moss that i collect from tarmac walkways at our community garden. they remove the moss too prevent ppl from slipping and falling. so no nature is harmed by collecting these.

The rest of the plants i used come out of my outside rock garden wich all can be bought at the local garden center most of the trimmings and cutting i used are from plants that are overgrowing eachother.

The plants i used in the terrarium are:
    Top right corner: sagina subulata 'supreme' (white flowers)
    Top left corner: thymus praecox 'red carpet' (purple/pink flowers)
    thymus praecox 'albiflorus' (white flowers)
    The redish darker leaved cuttings upfront are from a acaena microphylla 'kupferteppich'
    The round looking plants are from a very small species of saxifraga 'capter purple robe' (red flowers)
    I also used 2 types of a small acre sedum and a very small version of a sedum hispanicum (yellow and white flowers)

The terrarium is running for 2 weeks now and everything seems to work out fine.
    I din't run into any problems so far, and can already see some plant growth.
    The terrarium reaches a tempature of 30 celcius or 86 fahrenheit with both lights on during the day.
    And 25 celcius or 77 fahrenheit with the fogger running on the lowest setting and a small cover opened up in the lid. and slowly falls back to room tempature when the lights are turned off.

The equipment i used :
    60x30x30 cm or 23x11x11 inch aquarium (54 liter or 14 gallon)
    Sun Glo 15w 4200k fluorecent light
    Aquatlantis easy universal freshwater 590mm 28w full spectrum 6800k LED light
    Lucky reptile superfog II

The materials i used are:
    1-32 mm black basalt gravel for the false bottom
    Ardennes rock for decoration purposes
    lumb wood charcoal
    Black fiber anti bug window screen mesh
    very small amount of aquarium sand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]