1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Moss or grass carpets?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Isis, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Isis

Isis New Member

Any advice as to how to create a java moss or Christmas moss carpet?
    Also some of these wonderful aquascapes show grass like carpets. What plant would that be? Appreciate any advice. New to aquascaping and very enthusiastic :amillanbliss:

2. hamza

hamza Aspiring Aquascaper

There a few types of grassy plants like...(below)...that can form tight and beautiful carpet plants.

echinodorus tenellus,
    eleocharis parvula,
    eleocharis acicularis,
    lilaeopsis brasiliensis,
    utricularia graminifolia,

etc

Even blyxa japonica laid out closely in a large tank can look spectacular.

In mosses I like stringy moss most for carpetting purpose, it forms a tight and dense carpet, if laid out well, below is an example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOvXNBtXwc0&feature=related

3. Isis

Isis New Member

Thank you so MUCH :). I really appreciate the info. The youtube clip is awesome! I suppose there must be some techniques for laying out a dense carpet? Would there be an article about that i could read?

4. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

For moss carpeting look for wire mesh in hardware stores. Spread the moss on the mesh and tie with fish line or hairnet.

For rooting carpet plants, normally they come in pots and clumps. Break them into smaller portion or individual plants and plant them in the substrate a few inches apart evenly covering the area. Tweezers are helpful. After a few weeks when they have rooted properly, give a slight trim to the leaves to encourage the plants to spread runners.

5. Isis

Isis New Member

Thank you so much :) Very helpful. I'm still trying to decide which one, or two of these plants work best :)