1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Mojoscape - Version 1.0

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Mojojojo, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Mojojojo

Mojojojo Aspiring Aquascaper

I know that strictly speaking an Iwagumi should be 1/3 of a tank but, does it have to be the left or right side? Can it be the middle 1/3? (Not that I am strictly going for an Iwagumi of course)

Sponsored link:

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

That's more golden section than strict placings. It doesn't really matter.

3. Edis

Edis Moderator Staff Member

Regarding Amanos books. Its not worth buying all 3 nature aquarium world books. There is one book available in English from January (German before) which includes all 3 and even more previous in them. Its called Nature Aquarium: complete works 1985-2009

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nature-Aquarium-Complete-Works-1985-2009/dp/0793806496/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1295961957&sr=8-3]Nature Aquarium: Complete Works 1985-2009: Amazon.co.uk: Takashi Amano: Books[/ame]

Get that one but promise to borrow it to me for a month to read as i have the german one :bathbaby:
    Another great source is IAPLC booklets. It cost even less, 18.50 plus postage from thegreenmachine and includes photos of all entrants tanks.

4. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

:) I got all three, plus the German one, and it is true, the complete works is really complete, but in German.

Will get the English version once it comes out.

Somehow I feel that the 3 books have more stuff than the single book, but that is my take.

Great buy nonetheless.

Buy from ADA and you get a catalogue for free.. Which is good. :amillanbliss:

5. ghostsword

Just placed the order, @ £28 it is a fantastic buy.

Will put the German one on ebay, unless someone here that reads German would like it.

6. Mojojojo

I want fish that dont make a huge mess though. Gotta do some reading up on the best types.

7. ghostsword

Ember tetras are amazing little fish, otherwise look at danios, most are good.

8. Mojojojo

Ive got some Mollies in my other tank. They have a huge fish to waste ratio. They also breed like crazy! I had 3 about 4 months ago and I just gave 15 away and have about 15 - 20 left.

9. Edis

Edis Moderator Staff Member

Well there are some older works which are unpublished in complete works but the price tag is just too high to buy all three. I had world 1 and 2 books and selling them now.

10. ghostsword

I was lucky, managed to buy them from ebay, @ £20 each. Took a while but got them all.

11. Mojojojo

Do you think it would look better with more stone in? More stone = more options?

12. ghostsword

Sometimes less is more. :) Don't clutter your tank. :)

13. Mojojojo

Agreed. I have found major inspiration from Bocanegra's "270 - c.c.r." tank. His tank is slightly (10cm) wider than mine and he has alot more rock in it, unless the rocks just look alot bigger than they really are. From a rock point of view that is exactly the type of layout I am looking for. He's done a really good job with that tank. Really good.

14. Mojojojo

As it turns out, it's completely impossible for someone with OCD to do a hardscape.

15. youjettisonme

youjettisonme Aspiring Aquascaper

No matter what you end up with, you'll always be looking to do it another way. And at some point, if you're lucky, you may say to yourself "Perfect!" Then you'll be looking at it again in a week or two and wonder why you didn't go another direction.

16. Mojojojo

Agreed. I'm tempted to just put water in my tank now so I have to leave it the way it is. I have spent weeks trying different layouts and it isn't working. I don't particularly want an Iwagumi style layout but I almost feel forced to look at them for inspiration but they just dont look the way I want my tank to look. I suspect the way I want my tank to look just doesn't really conform to any aquascaping "rules" (1/3,golden ration,focal point etc etc.)

17. youjettisonme

youjettisonme Aspiring Aquascaper

The Golden Rules work just like they do in photography and design. You learn the rules so well just so you may later become so good at breaking them that can still pull off your scape. The beauty of aquascaping, I think, is that it works much the same as an art project where the teacher asks you to use a handful of media/props, and you just make it work somehow. Sounding a little like Project Runway actually. No one asks anyone to design clothes with a newspaper and couch cushions, but if you have enough ingenuity, you can still make a beautiful garment out of it.

Even if someone did assign you a project where you were forced to break the most standard of rules, the 1/3rd focal point, you would still be able to make a beautiful scape given enough thought, prep, and imagination. And if someone said, "you can only use one plant", same thing.

I think gaining inspiration from other projects that aren't exactly like what you're trying to create is a good thing. That means that you may be able to pull out those little elements that work so well and try them in ways that most others haven't thought of. If you were to make a straight iwagumi, and all your inspiration were similarly placed iwagumi, using even the same plants, then it's more like reproducing painting rather then painting a landscape.

18. ghostsword

Enjoy your tank. You need to enjoy what you are doing. You need to find your own style, all the rest is unimportant.

The layouts are good, and they do make sense. For example, a saw a iwagumi where all the rocks were slanted the same way, except one. :) Believe it or not, that rock bothered me, it was really freaking me out, cannot explain why. It turns out that it was placed there for a reason, to provoke tension on the aquascape.

Our brains are wired to see patterns, nature expects patterns, so when something breaks that pattern then it stand out.

Have fun and do what you like, it is your tank, don't bother with aquascaping, worry about keeping plants alive and healthy. :)

19. Mojojojo

Good advice from both of you. Thanks :) As fate would have it, I stumbled upon a scape done back in 2006 by a guy that got his to look pretty much looks how I want mine to look. I'm going to..borrow..a few of his ideas :p

I like this layout very much. I want more green plants though. Not a big fan of red etc :)

http://www.natureaquarist.com/Nature-aquarium-211801311

20. ghostsword

Great looking scape, good choice. Replicate it, add your own bit, and voila, you get a masterpiece.