1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Mojoscape - Version 1.0

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Mojojojo, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Mojojojo

Mojojojo Aspiring Aquascaper

I need to put in more substrate tomorrow to try and build it up a bit.

So far for the plants I am looking at (But not limited to):

Myriophyllum matogrossense
    Hair Grass for carpet (hopefully)
    Vallisneria nana
    Rotala wallichii

Sponsored link:

2. Mojojojo

Planted deeper and more gravel added..

Attached Files:

3. Mojojojo

How do y'all think a bonsai would look in there somewhere?

4. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

too many bonsai scapes popping out everywhere last time ..
    As Philipe Oliveira introduced his tank it was kind of sensation, but nowadays too many copy that

5. Mojojojo

Yeah, there are alot of scapes with trees in.Looks cool if its done nicely though.

6. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Mojo, don't imitate, inovate. :)

You need to first find your style and then work with it to produce something that looks truly amazing. The first step is to have fun and ensure that you understand the basics of plant husbandry.

I am enjoying the hardscape only layouts of ADG, at first I didn't get it, but then I realised that it is a natural step, first understand where the rocks and wood go, then fill with plants, many people do it the other way around.

I have seen some fantastic layouts with hill's on them, and I think that this has not been done to the it's true potential. Pele has an amazing tank on this blog with an emersed area, emersed/imersed composition is my style! :rock:.

As your tank is open top, look for ways to break the barrier of what has been done and what it is truly amazing.

You like to have a tree? So instead of having a tree on a horizontal scape, why not put it on a vertical scape?

[​IMG]

Last year I went to Cape Town, and managed to visit a Bonsai display "farm".

Amazing setups, and some with rock and trees.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jurijs mit JS

Last one would look awesome as an aquascape

8. ghostsword

Yes, it is here where the moss trees would be put to good use. The concept was amazing and shown great inventiveness, but we now need to take it further. :), play with it, improvise instead of copying it.

Mojo, would this be a chalenge that you would be willing to take on? :muscle:

9. Mojojojo

I have a closed tank.

I have abandoned the tree idea. I just want to get it over and done with now to be honest. There are hundreds of ways of doing a scape and if I dont just stick with one idea now I'm going to spend the next 6 months rearranging things and never get it done :p

10. Jurijs mit JS

This is what I suggest to all new to aquascaping: just scape it, it doesn't matter how long you prepare, you'll get bored soon anyway and rescape it. There is no perfect scape, the way and the whole process is he biggest joy.

11. Mojojojo

Agreed. I am learning alot by doing this one. I have a 2nd, smaller tank that I am going to scape as well. I will spend more time trying new things and different techniques on that one as it will be changing every few months as I get better and learn new things to try. The one I am doing now is going to stay the same (Unless I really get tired of it)

12. Edis

Edis Moderator Staff Member

It looked better before last rearragement to me. Too flat now and long rock does not look stable. Have you changed your mind about 2 islands?

13. Mojojojo

I think it might be the angle of pic. I havent actually moved them. If you look at it from the front it's still 2 distinct islands. I'll try get a betetr pic of it.

"Mojo, would this be a chalenge that you would be willing to take on?" I'll try anything :) Will just flood you guys with questions again hehehe

14. youjettisonme

youjettisonme Aspiring Aquascaper

I agree. If done well, that could look really elegant. I think that most of the tree scapes end up looking kind of gimmicky, but when you see one that's done well then very easy to appreciate. I thought about putting some trees in the mountainous section of my scape, but in the end decided it was too much for now. There are 98 ways to do it wrong, and only a couple of ways to get it right it seems. Much less margin for error.

And speaking of taking risks, someday I will attempt a scape that incorporates a resemblance of a Chinese rice terrace. It will involves a lot of extra, hidden props, but I think it can be done.

[​IMG]

15. Mojojojo

Thats true. As this is a tank I am intending to only do once I would like to get it done properly right from the start. Seems I've done the 98 wrong ways already, my creative luck needs to change sooner or later! :)

16. Edis

Edis Moderator Staff Member

Great then. Couple more of more powerful composition tips.
    Overlaping... creates great feeling of depth. Speaking simply when looking from the front some part of some rocks have to be behind the others.
    Overlaping is very powerful tool to show the distance.

Do not put your biggest rock behind all. Some smaller rocks have to be farther back to provide depths.

I will repeat. Spend more time observing Amanos, IAPLC and AGA contest results. Thats the best way to learn. Actually one of the best ways is to try to copy the tank you like. Anyway it wont be the same. Many top scapers recommend it to the beginners. There are number of dragon stone layouts out there. :113:

17. ghostsword

I would say get the amano books, Nature Aquarium, I got all 4 and they are invaluable in getting ideas and seeing what works or not. :)

In preparing for Vivarium 2011 Qube contest I am reading them everyday.

18. Mojojojo

I'll see if I can get a couple of the books. My budget is going into my tank at the moment.

I will wait for my CO2 system to arrive and then I will try a few different layouts again before setting it all up. I need to stick with one though or I'm never going to get anywhere. I like so many different ideas posted on here that I will be redoing it every 2 days if I don't just go with one idea and keep to it :)

19. ghostsword

20. Mojojojo

Sure, why not! The worst that could happen is I come last :)...or Mr Amano hunts me down and confiscates my tank...