1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Mojoscape - Version 1.0

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Mojojojo, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Mojojojo

Mojojojo Aspiring Aquascaper

Ok, I'll give it a quick shift around

Sponsored link:

2. Mojojojo

Take 2..and...Action.

Attached Files:

3. lakosta88

lakosta88 New Member

c'mon you can do better than this. rocks are very pretty but try another positions. google some iwagumi pictures and try to get some inspiration :)

4. Mojojojo

Its not going to be Iwagumi :) In fact very little of the rock is going to be seen.

5. lakosta88

lakosta88 New Member

however you can do much better hardscape with this rocks

6. Mojojojo

I'll give it another try :muscle:

7. Mojojojo

Take 637365453728...and...action

Attached Files:

8. Edis

Edis Moderator Staff Member

Hi again. Patience will reward you with greater satisfaction later... ;)
    First of all you are one rock short. Odd numbers are a no no when it comes to big objects. It creates conflict in your brain when you look at it. Second the rock in the right corner has awkward shape. Solution - get the hammer and... :chestbumping: get the fifth rock. Dragon stone would break easily. I.d try to smash it so it has one sharper end.
    Even if you dont opt for Iwagumi some composition knowledge would help you to significantly improve the scape.

Have a look here:
    AQUA JOURNAL- A Study of Iwagumi

Read about 1.616 rule or the rule of thirds. Its better to put your main rock formation at one third of the tank lenght from the left.
    Bury rock a bit to the substrate. It gives them more stable look. As if they were meant to be there and lie for centuries.

IAPLC and AGA contests pictures were the best study material and inspiration to me.

Get the substrate sloped if its not. create about at least 4 inch difference between front and back of the tank. This will create a feeling of depth.
    :ehhh:

9. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

10. Mojojojo

"First of all you are one rock short. Odd numbers are a no no when it comes to big objects" I have 4 rocks
    "Solution - get the hammer and... :chestbumping: get the fifth rock" Isnt 5 an odd number? :p
    I have actually read that journal and it is very informative. I understand the concept, but my eyes just aren't seeing a layout. I'm not very creative unfortunately :-<

The substrate is sloped upwards from the front to the back. About twice as high at the back than the front. Will add some more. I have half a bag of gravel left.

What are your views of putting all the rocks in the center and working around them?

Thanks for all the help folks :)

11. ghostsword

Mojo, the main thing is to have fun. :)

You need to enjoy the tank in the way you see it, after all, you will be one staring at it for a long time. :)

Think about how would the rocks lay on a river, think about the currents, etc, and you will be half way there.

Rocks will not stand upright for long, not unless the bottom is well stuck on the bottom of a river, so think about that.

Rocks will naturally fall on top of eachother if they are close enough, and by using the 1:1.168 Golden Ratio (in use longer than we may even exist, as it is prevalent in nature), you will obtain a layout that is pleasing to the eye and achieves the desired effect.

What is the Golden Ratio?
    The golden section is a line segment divided according to the golden ratio: The total length a + b is to the length of the longer segment a as the length of a is to the length of the shorter segment b.

[​IMG]

Expressed algebraically:
    [​IMG]

This equation has one positive solution in the algebraic irrational number:
    [​IMG]

At least since the Renaissance, many artists and architects have proportioned their works to approximate the golden ratio—especially in the form of the golden rectangle, in which the ratio of the longer side to the shorter is the golden ratio—believing this proportion to be aesthetically pleasing.

Mathematicians have studied the golden ratio because of its unique and interesting properties.

Artist use it, photographers use it and now Aquascapers use it. :)

Golden ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. Mojojojo

Those tutorials are an interesting read. Lots of good ideas. Thanks chaps.

P.S. I'll get the missus to look at the Fibonacci sequence, shes the maths guru :p

13. Mojojojo

Which rock do you guys think I should bash with a hammer? All the pics of the rocks are posted on an earlier page with front and back angles.

14. ghostsword

Rock #5 would get the cut, if it was me. Diagonally. Drill some holes in strategic places, then hammer it. :)

About the 1:1.168, look at how A and B are related, apply that to the tank, rocks on A then open space on B. Try a simple setup and once you get to grips with the basics, then evolve and create your own style.

Check this link out:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEOBNsRfTN8&feature=related]YouTube - My nano iwagumi[/ame]

15. Mojojojo

The things is most of the designs and layouts I see are for smaller tanks. If I use 1/3 of my tanks and bunch the rocks together what do I do with the rest of it? Its going to look weird having a bunch of rocks on the ones side of the tanks and just plants on the other end isnt it?

P.S. I only got 4 rocks, there aint a rock 5 :) You mean the last rock pic I posted? The one I got off the net?

16. Edis

Dont worry, the eye of an artist will visit you in no time :celebrate:
    At the beginning we were all there and still are 8). Spend some time looking at others work in AGA and IAPLC contests, this will also help a lot.
    If the slope is there dont worry about it. I just mentioned it because its sometimes hard to say from the frontal photo of the hardscape if its there or not.

Try smashing the square rock, the one on the right. Its really worth spending some more time in the beginning. because this understanding of more or less better composition comes fast and if you rush you end up rescaping your tank quite soon. ;)

17. Mojojojo

I really like that rock :( It looks like a pillar. Maybe that can be my Oyaishi (Yeah..I speak Iwagumi baby!)

One thing I have learned is patience with all this. I have had my tank for almost 3 weeks and havent even put water in yet!

18. Edis

Choose any other then. Only your opinion matters afterall.

19. Mojojojo

I think Rock 3 (The one lying on top of the small rock) is going to get the chop. Its very big. Its quite flat and wide and wont stand upright so breaking it in to 2 smaller piece with better shape might work.

20. lakosta88

lakosta88 New Member

if you want to break one rock to a smaller peaces than do that with a rock on the right side. the one that is almost square. it just doesnt look natural. oyashi is a central rock and the biggest to. i think the best rock for that purpose is on the last image,the one that is leaning on the smaller one. it has a pretty nice and natural look.