1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Mixing Species for new 65 lit aquascape

Discussion in 'Fish' started by JohnnyWales, Oct 29, 2012.

1. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

After failing in presoaking my beautiful redmoor, i had to wait out and have decided to invest in pressurized co2.
    Now i can get started, whilst i have to wait for the tank to grow in, im deciding what fish i wil be having in my new tank.

It will be heavily planted with a big piece of twisted wood in the middle with labyrinths throughout the roots.

Ideally i would like

x2 Apistogramma (breeding pair)

x2 German Blue Ram ( Breeding pair)

Will these two species mix?

Will i have to create lots of cave like features in my new aquascape?

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

One of the other. Rams need a bigger tank than aspistos, 90cm would be the minimum. The other thing would be that aspistos are normally kept in harems or trio's so it's well worth reading up before purchasing as it's my understanding that just a male and a female and the female will normally end up stressed and dead.

3. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

I read about harems however i read a lot that a simple pair are enough. That's fine. I would realistically like a breeding group, having accidentally bred yellow labs in the past, it's exciting to see the brood.

I gather that apistos are better parents, however the other females in the harem all need individual hiding spots?? I don't have the facilities to "remove the other females when spawning commences".

4. Garuf

I'm not sure, provided you have plenty of hardscape nooks and crannys I would think you'd be okay. A trio is probably the best bet. I've been referred to this forum in the past http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php Might be worth browsing and seeing what the consensus is.

5. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

Thanks garuf!

6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

7. Natural designs

Natural designs New Member

It appears you have been helped pretty well, but I have done a lot of research on keeping cichlids especially dwarfs such as the apistogrammas. They are mild in temperament but territorial so as long as there are enough nooks and crannies, they will get along with many community fish. It also, like bettas depends on how they are kept in the pet store you buy from. If kept with a community of fish they tend to be almost peaceful. They are beautiful "attention" fish with personality. Correct me if I am wrong please.

8. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

So natural, are you of the same mentality, one or the other? Rams/apistos

9. Natural designs

Natural designs New Member

Yes, due to spatial issues they may have during breeding time, where the males will become more aggressive. I don't think it would be possible to make two distinct territories in an aquarium of that size.

10. Garuf

I can't really stress it enough, even if you were to mix the species, the tank would still be too small for rams who need a 90cm tank at least.

11. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

Thanks!!