1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Mini Terrascape Journal

Discussion in 'Ripariums & Paludariums' started by keithgh, Jan 6, 2014.

1. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Keith, Looking good :rolleyes: With Area "2" could you use mondo again in a different colour ?? as there is only room for one Cyclamens ?
    The air plants will look good in that space (y) Neat idea with the funnel .I have found its better to take pics at night to many reflections during the day :D Cannot wait till the plants go in ;)

keithgh likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. janey

janey Aspiring Aquascaper

Coming along really fast now Keith, lot's of progress!(y) Love the plant choices - had to smile as the day you posted the corkscrew pic , mine arrived in the post. A small form called 'Curly Wurly'. Being winter it is a bit tatty, but I knew it would be and the seller primed me for that.
    BTW -Roy - if you are still looking for a small corkscrew rush I got mine from : http://www.devonpondplants.co.uk/ - top bloke who sent them out fast and although they are not prime due to the season, mine has a great root system and a few green stalks still on it. I had to wrench myself from that site ... before I started to go off the rails on a buying spree....:eek::D

The air plants will look perfect in the marked spots - I can't wait to see what varieties you decide on! :)

keithgh likes this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Roy

Mondo grass?? The Jury is still out on that (Section "2") is the only area not finalised.
    It cannot grow any higher than 10cm.

I received an E/m from a Air plant grower in Aust who can post them to me.

He also gave me a few suggestions of mini Air plants.

More Research.

Janey
    Its about time it started to move its been a long slow process.
    Mondo grass is ???

Keith:):)

janey and greenfinger 2 like this.
  4. janey

Yikes! - sorry about the above Keith - I don't know how I managed that! :confused: Maybe it can be deleted?
    I thought I had posted this reply below and should have double checked, as I clearly never pressed the post reply button.:rolleyes:
    So what I meant to post was this:

Sometimes life can really knock all one's good plans out the window Keith, but you are going full pace now, so I hope life will be kinder to you and there will be continued good flow for you. (y) Great idea to buy off the net - I do so quite a lot and I am seldom let down.

Mmmm...also not sure about black mondo grass in section 2, though I do like it as a plant. I'm sort of thinking it might disappear visually because air plants have a strong presence and there would be quite a lot of spikey shapes going on. I like the idea of something green in that area and green mondo might work. Evelyn's idea of a fern in concealed pot could look very good too.
    Difficult to find plants that stay under 10cm and won't go romping all over the place. I'm a bit cruel - I stunt & dwarf plants sometimes to suit my needs, poor little things! :rolleyes::)

5. greenfinger 2

Hi Janey, Glad i m not the only one that gets things wrong on computers:LOL:
    At the bottom of your post there is Edit--- Delete--- Report------ Just press the Delete and your post will be Deleted in 5 seconds :)

6. keithgh

Janey

I deleted it for you.

Mondo grass is good but its just too big for that area and it could easily become the main feature instead of one of several smaller features, that will blend in with each other.

I have gone way off left field with an idea checking it out at the moment, the beauty of the idea is within minutes I can have a ???? planted.

I lashed out today and bought some special "Garden Tools"

Photo later today.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  7. keithgh

31st Jan 2014

[​IMG]

Twiggy pieces and Gum nuts, left hand side.

The reason for the Gumnuts is to hide the UGF riser.

The twiggy pieces take the blankness off the Cork and the flow leads you to the right hand corner

[​IMG]

This area is now called the dry area, as I had many problems trying to get that “Perfect” plant I decided to do something completely different and I actually like the idea reason being everything in that small area has plenty of interesting points to look at, I am hoping the Sphagnum Moss will actually grow to make it even more realistic.

[​IMG]

I have called this photo Ready to GO.

I only have the Carnivorous plants to order waiting to hear from the supplier.

If all goes well all the plants will be in as soon as they arrive which will be late Feb to early March.

Today I removed all the potting mix on the right hand side and replaced it with Peat Moss for the Carnivorous plants.

PNScheese and greenfinger 2 like this.
  8. keithgh

Being an old Tradie I have always believed in the right tools for the right job.

After a lot of hunting I finally found the perfect gardening tools.
    1 large four point fork
    1 small four point fork
    1 large round mouthed shovel
    1 small round mouthed shovel
    1 good soft garden broom a 25mm paint brush in my collection.
    1 small spray/mister hidden in a cupboard.
    To fill the riser I found a nice small kitchen funnel and I had a spare piece of clear tubing.
    Total cost $0.70
    [​IMG]

9. greenfinger 2

Hi Keith, Looking good Area "2" Sorted :cool: Now just the planting to finish :rolleyes:
    I like the tools :) I love the price :D

10. janey

Thanks for deleting the dud post Keith. Roy no doubt about it - I am very technically challenged! :rolleyes:
    Like the way you are thinking about area '2' Keith, moss is beautiful all by itself and if need be once the rest is planted up one can always relook the area.
    "Ready to go" is the perfect name for the photo. (y)
    Tools look good, specially like the little giraffe fork :D- as Roy said great price for them! I was looking at aquascaping tools on this side of the pond some days ago... they are expensive.:eek:
    I'm going to follow your lead and find my own too.:)

11. PNScheese

PNScheese Aspiring Aquascaper

Love the tools and the work keith!(y)

12. keithgh

Cheese

I bought a soft pencil bag and I had to bust the budget on that I think it cost me $2.00.

All the plants have been ordered expecting delivery over the next few weeks.

Every thing is ready for the planting.

13. keithgh

Update 16th Feb
    A few days ago I worked on the bushland side of the Terrascape.
    [​IMG]
    I added a few more small Gum Nuts and a small piece of natural moss I had growing in an old fern pot in the fernery.
    I mist spray it every day and its not showing any signs of die back.

I am hoping it slowly grows over the Sphagnum Moss.

As far as I am concerned it looks far better than the original idea of growing plants in that small area, its looks like a natural bush like setting.

14. keithgh

Thank you Cheese.

15. greenfinger 2

Hi Keith, Looking good with the moss :rolleyes: And starting to looking so natural :cool:

16. keithgh

Thank you Roy

I am finally seeing it develop, it all started with the small branch and Gum Nuts I found (home opposite) had a big garden clean up, and it slowly developed from that.
    [​IMG]
    The marked are for the Sundew Carnivorous plants that I am expecting this week also the Air plants are due this week.

I marked the area out with "Tooth picks" yes the colour is different for them its Peat Moss where as the remaining medium is a moisture holding potting mix.

I have had lot of luck I found the live Sphagnum Moss in Tasmania as it is no longer available on the mainland Aust.

17. greenfinger 2

Hi Keith, Looking good now :cool: I like the the toothpick idea (y) Did you leave the covers on them so you can reuse them :LOL:
    Good to hear you found a supply of Sph/moss :D

moss_maniac and keithgh like this.
  18. PNScheese

PNScheese Aspiring Aquascaper

All looks so natural! Its like you just stepped out into the bush :)

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  19. keithgh

Update Feb 20th

A lot has happened over the last few days, the Carnivorous plants arrived, the Air Plants arrived and I added a few small river stones to the dry river bed.

I planted all except the Air plants which have to be glued using Selleys "Gel Grip" its like a contact glue that is perfectly safe for the Air plants.

[​IMG]
    Small river stones added to the dry river bed, now it looks even more natural with all the different shapes and sizes of the stones.
    [​IMG]
    Drosera Dielsiana and Drosera Capillaris planted
    [​IMG]
    All Carnivorous plants planted plus two very small red Drosera Hamiltonii front RH corner.

I will be attaching the Air plants in the next few days.

The remaining plant Cyclamen will not arrive for at least 2-3 weeks they are a small bulb.

hydrophyte, moss_maniac and PNScheese like this.
  20. greenfinger 2

Hi Keith, Looking fantastic :rolleyes::rolleyes: Adding the small river stones has made it look even more natural:love:
    One Q with the Carnivorous plants will you have to feed them with grubs or fly's ???

PNScheese likes this.