1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Mini Terrascape Journal

Discussion in 'Ripariums & Paludariums' started by keithgh, Jan 6, 2014.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Roy

I will not be attaching any thing to the Gum nut pieces at all I think it would be a distraction, I have a few pieces from another tree that will be in front and to the RH side of the cork that will have the Air Plants attached to.

Keith :):)

greenfinger 2 likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a direct pinch from Aquascaping when using a different Substrate.

In this section I will be using Peat Moss depth 8cm.

The Sundew plants are very small I will be planting 10 it will be like carpet planting.

In the next few days I hope to have the basic layout done.

Keith:):)

PNScheese and moss_maniac like this.
  3. moss_maniac

moss_maniac Aspiring Aquascaper

4. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Keith, I like the idea of using the Sundew's as a carpeting plant :love:(y)

5. keithgh

Roy the Sundews are a very small low plant if the seller cannot find 10 she will make up a mix of similar colour and size for me.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  6. keithgh

Jan 25th 2014

Finally after about 3hrs I have the Terrascape ready for planting.

After each plant or group of plants there will be either more soil or stones added.

I am expecting the soil to sink at least 1cm.

[​IMG]

The right hand corner has changed considerably from the original concept it did not work out as planned.

[​IMG]

A general view of the back of the tank.

The Air Plants “Tillandsia’s” will be easier to attach, using special glue, on those two pieces of Driftwood than the branch I was going to use.

[​IMG]

The Gumnuts are an extra interest point but the main purpose is to hide the riser of the UGF which will be my watering point.

[​IMG]

A closer view of the right hand corner showing the rocks, driftwood and some of the Spanish moss “Tillandsia usneoides”

[​IMG]

A front view it looks rather flat but it's not there is actually four levels they will be adjusted at planting time.

[​IMG]

The area under the cork and close to the driftwood on the left will be lifted 3-4cm as soon as the soil settles and before planting.

Next to be done.

I will be ordering the Sundews later today and the Cyclamen's are ordered expecting delivery in 3-4 weeks.

Air plants to be selected and ordered.

Remaining suitable plants I have a few ideas nothing definite now its a hunt at a local garden supplier and I will get them as I locate them.

I have waited close to 3 Years so what is a few more weeks.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    PNScheese and greenfinger 2 like this.
  7. moss_maniac

Now it becomes really exciting, hurry up Keith! :cool:

8. greenfinger 2

Hi Keith, Well now the planing has been done:) Now you are getting to the exiting bit the planting :D

9. keithgh

Evelyn & Roy

The planting is a waiting game I just have to wait for some plants, some on order and the Air Plants to be selected.

If I was driving the remaining plants would all be planted in a few days.

I was not 110% happy after finishing all that after 3 hrs my old brain and eyes were just not working the best and, this morning I added half of one litre of the soil a bit of DW, a few more stones to give me extra height at the back of both ends of the Terrascape.

Adjustment photos later today.

10. keithgh

Jan 26th 2014-01-26

How wrong I was I was not happy it looked OK but it was too flat as far as I was concerned.

Today fresh with a few ideas I attacked it again.

An hour later this is what I hope is now ready for planting.

Taking photos is not the best reflections everywhere.

It's on my desk about 2cm from the Computer monitor and 50cm from a window.

[​IMG]

RH back corner I built it up added more stones plus one small piece of DW.

[​IMG]
    LH back corner I lifted the main piece of DW by placing a small piece underneath it.

With those two adjustments I added at least nearly a litre of potting soil.

[​IMG]

Now I am a lot happier, it has shape, interesting focal points.

The various plant heights will link it all together

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    PNScheese and greenfinger 2 like this.
  11. moss_maniac

Yes, definitely better Keith,

and through the coming plants with different levels of roots this will be necessary anyway.

(y)...looking forward to your plants!

12. keithgh

Roy & Evelyn
    I thought you would like the changes as both are very keen gardeners

What is the opinion of the DW for the Air plants now its very easy fix them to the DW with plenty of space for them to develop?

Planting?????

13. keithgh

Jan 27th 2014

Final planting plan I hope????

[​IMG]

1. There should be enough room for 10 Sundews “Drosera dielsiana” as they are extremely small when fully grown.

2. It's roughly 9cm wide 18cm in length I was thinking of the low black Mondo grass, also known as monkey grass (Ophiopogon japonicus) it's low and compact YN?

3. Its roughly 7cm at its widest and 20cm in length.

It will have to be a low plant I was thinking of ferns but it's practically impossible to locate a small low one.

I tried a piece of Selaginella it looked OK but it can take over I have areas of over 1mt sq growing in our fernery, as far as we are concerned it's nothing but an invasive weed.

4. 3-4 mountain Cyclamens as they are small and low growing.

[​IMG]

I think I have it right this time I have lifted the DW for the Air Plants and added more river stones to fill that back corner in and continue the sight flow from the base plants to the top of the Terrascape.

The original concept was to create a small dry water fall and creek bed right to the front focal point, after the plants are in I will be finishing that part off.

PNScheese likes this.
  14. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Definitely interesting project. But I must admit I can't figure out what it'll look like in the end :)

15. keithgh

ptiJo

Now that is the big question.

Its like finding all the correct plants for each particular area.

Area "3" is the big concern if the plants are tall they will distract from the Air plants on the DW back RH corner.

I tried a small plant today it looked good the biggest concern it grows like a weed I have plenty growing in our fernery and once it got established it would be practically impossible to remove it 100%.

I have one plant in mind its another carnivorous plant

The closest I can show you is in the first two Terrarium tanks I posted remembering both of those tanks are a lot bigger.

I can assure you a lot of planning has gone into this Terrascape its the final details that are the hold up at the moment.

16. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Heh, no doubt that you'll manage that one well too. 'Just yearning to see it done ;)
    Nearly as much as next Game of Thrones season :cool:

17. greenfinger 2

Hi Keith, Love the Different levels you have created :)
    The sundews will look fab in area "1"
    Mondo Grass Could you not place it in area "3" as it its a low growing plant and would look good with the air plants on the DW that side:) The Mondo Could form a drift running too the front of the tank??
    Area "2" ?? Plant some of Cyclamens in there as they will not be in conflict with the air plants on that side ??
    Looking forward to your updates In the final stages of this terrascape :) Its going to look fab with the plants in place :love:

PNScheese likes this.
  18. moss_maniac

Try the invasive plant in a hidden pot Keith, it's worth a trial. Also the fern - if it really will become to invasive (I don't think so in a pot) it is anyway very nice in the garden.
    The black mondo grass is about twice as high as the green one and should look great behind the mountain cyclamens...

19. moss_maniac

If already existing, show us the DW for the airplants Keith - DW is perfect for them. The air plants can be high above - there is free space. I would not fix them too narrow side by side, maybe only one or two per branch (depends on the size of the branches) If they become too many (takes time), you can easily remove them and fill other branches with them.

I think the black mondo grass will be too tall in the front directly near the tiny sun dew.

20. keithgh

Roy & Evelyn

Gardner's we all have a different ideas but in the end for some reason or another it all comes together and it spot on.

OK area "3" Mondo colour ??? it will depend on height, it will not block the Air Plants.

When I mean invasive I mean "Big Time" its like Java Moss just one strand and its off, if it got behind/under the rocks and DW for the Air plants I would have to wreck the tank to remove every mm of it.

Cyclamens "2" only enough space for one.

The DW is the last photo its about 25 x 15cm wide its slightly left of the plants on the RH side.
    [​IMG]
    This is where I would "like" to fix the Air Plants all I have to do is research for the best ones I would prefer a light green certainly not a traffic light red

I had one little Hick Up I saw it as soon as I added the Gumnuts, the watering via a funnel "SPACE" I have made up a small kitchen funnel and a piece of tubing that fits into the UGF riser and it works.

Naturally I remove the funnel when finished I added 1lt of water this morning plus a mist spraying.

Its a stinker to photograph I will have to try night shots for an over all photo.

I hope to order the Sundews later today.

Keith :):)

moss_maniac and greenfinger 2 like this.