1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

micranthemum monte carlo or elatine hydropiper or hemianthus callitrichoides for the smallest leaves

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by arunk, Jun 15, 2017.

1. arunk

arunk New Member

Hi all,

Seeking some expert help on choosing a carpet plant out of the above 3 choices for a 12 inch cube tank with Iwagumi layout. I tried glosso but the leaves looked too big for the right perspective/proportion in a 12 inch cube tank. I have 4-layer ADA substrate, CO2 and lights for 8 hours, and dose step 1 and Brighty K, again from ADA. The tank is 2 months old.

I am looking for a carpet plant that will stay with small leaves and in perspective/proportion to 10 inch tall Iwagumi rocks in a 12 inch cube.

Many thanks in advance for all the valuable guidance and help.

Arun

2. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

I've tried all 3. My favorite is hydopiper because leaves are small like HC but has stronger roots.

kabriolet and keithgh like this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Arun

Elatine hydropiper

This plant should work well for you providing you meet all it's requirements.
    Any chance of posting a photo of your tank.

The creeping growth of this stem-plant makes it highly attractive for creating carpets in the aquarium. The very small leaf size makes it an obvious choice for nano-tanks.

Its fresh green colour compliments wood, rocks and other plants extraordinary well and has made the plant increasingly popular.

The growth of Elatine hydropiper is quite similar to Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' and Glossostigma elatinoides but is considerably slower, making it easier to maintain.

[​IMG]

Info http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Elatinehydropiper(141TC)/18759

Keith:cat::cat:

4. arunk

arunk New Member

thank you Orlandog 7, I had a tough time ripping out the glosso carpet and when you say stronger roots, do you mean longer and deeper roots?
    thank you Keith, I am really apprehensive about the size of the leaves. As I said earlier, its a 12 inch cube and though the glosso carpeted really well,
    in about a month, covering up the whole area, but the leaves were big and looked disproportionately huge. Hence have removed it and the foreground now needs a new carpet.
    Is there any other plant I should consider other than these three? I have Eleocharis parvula at the back, as you can see from the picture. (I still need to clean off the algae on the glass, after removing the glosso last night.
    Thank you all for the help and advice. tank-16th-june 1.jpg

5. keithgh

arunk
    I would give the Elatine hydropiper a good chance and see how it looks in your tank.

One big tip if you are continually thinking should I or shouldn't do this or that you will eventually end up completely confused and loose interest.

Personally I think it would look a lot better with only one plant on the substrate as a ground cover.

It comes down to a very good old rule Keep It Simple KIS. Being a small tank it can quickly become too busy and just look like any other tank and, I think that is not what you want at all.

Keith :cat::cat:

arunk likes this.
  6. arunk

arunk New Member

You just read my mind Keith, I do want it to have the best "minimalist" look. I put up the Blyxa in the mid foreground and the Christmas Moss in the background, to hide the co2 diffusor, and the intake of the hangon canister, respectively. Also thought the moss would help control any extra nutrients, since the tank is just about 2 months old. Once it reaches full maturity about 3-4 months, I will let only the rocks and the carpet remain. So its hydropiper final. Will update once I procure and plant the same. Thanks a ton, appreciate your guidance.

7. keithgh

arunk

Glad I could help you.

Here are a few very good designing rules "If in doubt leave it out", "If it's not required leave it out" then think about the KIS and those basic design rules and you are well on you way in creating a tank of beauty.

arunk likes this.
  8. Orlandog7

Roots grow an inch long. Leaves very small. I have it in my 5 gallon and the leaf size is perfect, actually you can't get any smaller.

IMG_20170617_195016.jpg IMG_20170617_195002.jpg

arunk, kabriolet and keithgh like this.
  9. keithgh

Orlandog

I think the newer Members would like to know more about your growing and fertilising for such a very healthy plant.

10. Orlandog7

ADA Aquasoil substrate! Seachem Equilibrium at every water change. Very lean dosing of ferts. Sometimes only dose when plants show deficiencies ie holes in leaves, then I dose ferts. Mostly potassium, sometimes micros and phosphorus to keep green spot algae away. But most importantly, in my opinion good co2, lighting, and water flow.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    kabriolet likes this.
  11. keithgh

Orlandog could you lightly dose with the potassium at every water change this should help the plants more rather than only if and when required?

Orlandog7 likes this.
  12. Orlandog7

Will do. I see in my current setup potassium is important. I tried EI dosing and high lights and got a ton of algae. Now I've scaled back on all dosing and with meticulous observation try to see what the plants need without giving algae the upper hand. I'm getting to a point where water changes are done every other week without adverse effects. But don't want to hijack this thread as this line of discussion is much discussed elsewhere.

arunk, kabriolet and keithgh like this.
  13. keithgh

Orlandog
    You are certainly not "Hijacking" this thread as it is discussing particular plants and you have added the feeding of these plants which is a must in having a healthy planted tank.

14. arunk

arunk New Member

Thought would share a quick update. Finally got HC cuba (couldnt source Elatine Hydropiper). Seems to be doing ok so far, any suggestions, advice would be most welcome. img_20170711_203707(1).jpg img_20170711_203718(1).jpg img_20170711_203718(1).jpg img_20170711_203718(1).jpg

15. keithgh

arunk

Keep plenty of bright light and Co2 (which you have) then it should develop very quickly.

Tim might have more information or where to get reliable growing information on your plant.

arunk likes this.
  16. arunk

arunk New Member

Thank you Keith; also am worried about the Blyxa in the left...no matter what I do, the leaves are never dark green. Or is it that a healthy Blyxa is always yellowish in color?

17. keithgh

aruk

[​IMG]

This Blyxa is showing plenty of healthy growth
    Your yellowing likely unhealthy growth and lacking nutrients, it could also be insufficient strong lighting where it could have a reddish tinge